The BIG purchase - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2012, 01:33 AM   #11 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Hey ETM lets see some pics of this board you are selling,

OP if you plan to spend a month in Hokkaido you should probably go with a more pow specific deck, if not at least go 161 or more.

ETM is powder board crazy but it is the way to go if you have a whole month to ride powder, especially for you heavier guys you need the extra float.

Attack banana has rocker from the center out with two small camber zones under the bindings.
I personally find that profile does very well in powder although nothing like a powder specific board.
Question is where else and how much will you get to use this board?

If Hokkaido is your main location go with a more pow oriented deck IMO.
dreampow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2012, 03:40 AM   #12 (permalink)
ETM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreampow View Post
Hey ETM lets see some pics of this board you are selling,.
2010 BOARDS
Its got taper 4mm camber (almost flat) and a nice smooth up turn on the nose, floats mad, swallow tail it and you have a real powder gun for someone around 80-90kg. Not enough board for me lol.

Quote:
OP if you plan to spend a month in Hokkaido you should probably go with a more pow specific deck, if not at least go 161 or more..
Definately just factor in the price of a powder board to any japan trip over a week. You invest thousands into the trip, a powder board is the icing on the cake.

Quote:
ETM is powder board crazy.
Thats putting it lightly! Once you test out a few different designs and really get a feel for what works and what doesn't it's hard to put up with a board that does not fit the conditions as well as it could.
They say ignorance is bliss, once you feel how good it can be with the right board there is no turning back.

Quote:
Question is where else and how much will you get to use this board?
If Hokkaido is your main location go with a more pow oriented deck IMO.
+1, And get another board for NZ when funds allow, or buy my neversummer SL lol.
ETM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 04:05 AM   #13 (permalink)

Well well well.... the shop I went to (one of four in town) doesn't have Solomons... they said "they are not as good as the 32s"! haha classic.

So I tried on some burtons (nice boots, burton boots have changed in a big way!) and I checked out the 2013 attack banana, also the Burton flying v 161 (amazing tech in that baby!) and discussed weather or not to add a 160 powder fish to my quiver for the big powder days?!?!.... does this sound right?
I wouldn't mind having a two board quiver: attack banana for everyday, riding and park then the fish for big powder days.
pleiades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 04:20 AM   #14 (permalink)
Veteran Member

If you get 2 boards I would get something longer than a 160 fish. I know it rides longer but if you are talking a Hokkaido dedicated powder stick I would go a little longer at your weight.

I have a buddy here who is a powder hound, he rides like 120 days a year. He rides a 156 fish for deep days but he weighs in at 65 kilos. Add your 30 and only 4cm will not make up for that IMO. Burton themselves say the 164 fishs maximum weight range is 88 kilos.

ETMs board for 300 looks pretty sweet, but again at your weight I would go longer.

If you get the fish go with a 164. Lots of other powder boards out there for quite a bit less money, Maybe ETM can recommend a few.

As for boots whatever is comfortable is fine. Also look for not too soft not too stiff IMO.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:26 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
If you get 2 boards I would get something longer than a 160 fish. I know it rides longer but if you are talking a Hokkaido dedicated powder stick I would go a little longer at your weight.

I have a buddy here who is a powder hound, he rides like 120 days a year. He rides a 156 fish for deep days but he weighs in at 65 kilos. Add your 30 and only 4cm will not make up for that IMO. Burton themselves say the 164 fishs maximum weight range is 88 kilos.
If you get the fish go with a 164.
Thanks man!
So 164 fish... looking around I should be able to grab one for about $350 (?) but at that price it is hardly a budget breaker and a mean addition to the quiver for NZ and Hokkaido.
pleiades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:39 AM   #16 (permalink)
Veteran Member

If you can pick one up for that price, looks good to me.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:24 AM   #17 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

The Burton Fish is legendary for pow riding. At your weight, I would definitely go bigger than 160 especially since it will be a pow-specific board.

The reason you had a bad time on a 161 before is probably due to the board itself rather than the length. Maybe it was a super torsionally stiff board? Hard to edge-to-edge on?

If you want something for more playful pow days, get something mid to mid-stiff in flex. The Custom Flying V is a good board, but it's a love/hate thing. You really do have to try the Flying V shape to see if you like it on the Custom (they make the "V" in the Custom more pronounced than their other boards for some strange reason).

Check out the K2 Turbo Dream for your more playful days. I can't recommend this board enough for people who ride powder, but want something that's going to be playful. I used to own one and took it out to Tahoe for 3 days of shredding 2feet + of fresh. I had a TON of fun on this board. It floats well and is damp enough without feeling absolutely dead underfoot. Turning is quick thanks to the softer torsional flex and a deeper sidecut.

This is just a link for you to see it. Sbnet doesn't deliver overseas without significant third party costs.
K2 Turbo Dream Wide Snowboard 2012

Also, if you can get your hands on NeverSummer, they have more than a few ideal boards for you. For powder days, a Raptor comes to mind. I think the Heritage will be an excellent choice for your main board. It's plenty damp, but still has some liveliness underfoot. NeverSummer's R.C. shape is excellent. You get the rocker playfulness between the feet for freestyle fun and float. Their camber section starts just outside the bindings so you don't feel it until you engage an edge. You do have to get used to this shape though especially if you've never been on a hybrid rocker of this type.

Ride is another brand you should look into. The Highlife UL comes to mind, but that is a stiff board. Very fun to carve on though and it's beastly on good snow. Edge to edge on the Highlife is superb.

Oh, you'll probably need a wide snowboard.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:45 AM   #18 (permalink)
Veteran Member

sorry to thread jack, but now you all have me wondering, I'm a big ass dude, I'm tall and weigh 125kgs, i am going to niseko and rusutsu in Feb 2013 as well and now you all have me thinking i need a longer board. i ride a gnu riders choice 166W and i just got a ride berzerker 165W, now I'm thinking i need something in the 170 range.

Anyways, anyone got some suggestions, ohh and sorry to thread jack mate!!!
Old 06-12-2012, 10:19 AM   #19 (permalink)
Veteran Member

cjcameron11- I hear there's a guy on the forum selling a 181 pow board
bseracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:29 AM   #20 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

figured I'd throw my two cents in on this even though so much was covered:

I'm 5'11 and weigh 175 and Personally, I love my K2 Turbo Dream 159 for all mountain/freestyle boarding. It shreds in pow and what not. I actually just picked up a Attack Banana myself, but I got it at 156 for park dominance. As for the bindings I was actually deciding between the Union Asadachi or Rome 390 Boss. Both are better quality bindings. maybe someone else has an opinion to this, as it would actually help my decision as well haha
SnowOwl is offline   Reply With Quote