Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Snowboard Layer Seperation (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/48737-snowboard-layer-seperation.html)

Frootluips 06-13-2012 12:10 PM

Snowboard Layer Seperation

My snowboard is separating between the top sheet and the core layers. I have read around that epoxy will do the job. But that is very expensive. I do have some Pasco Fix adhesive though. Would I be able to use that to fix the separating layers?

IndraRipper 06-13-2012 01:23 PM

You really want to use epoxy, if it as a large splinter I use flexible epoxy so it doesn't fall off when you flex the board.
Flex-Epoxy toughened epoxy resin adhesive glue impact resistant black plastic metal high strength

timmytard 06-13-2012 04:05 PM

Go to the dollar store & grab some for a buck, it'll work.

TT

Frootluips 06-14-2012 03:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndraRipper (Post 507855)
You really want to use epoxy, if it as a large splinter I use flexible epoxy so it doesn't fall off when you flex the board.
Flex-Epoxy toughened epoxy resin adhesive glue impact resistant black plastic metal high strength

With the epoxy, what would I use to spread it? I'm thinking a strong piece of wire or a thin, sturdy sheet of metal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by timmytard (Post 507858)
Go to the dollar store & grab some for a buck, it'll work.

TT

I don't know if you're joking or not. But I will have a look anyway

outlyr 06-14-2012 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frootluips (Post 507886)
With the epoxy, what would I use to spread it? I'm thinking a strong piece of wire or a thin, sturdy sheet of metal.

I had a similar problem, someone on the forum recommended a syringe. Try that, if you can get your hands on one. Clamp, unclamp, wipe away excess epoxy, reapply, repeat.

timmytard 06-14-2012 10:44 AM

I was being cereal. I use the cheap shit all the time.

I like to use bbq skewers, they are bamboo & pretty tough.
Sand it down to a flat point & you should be able to cram it in pretty deep.

Use the flat part to smear epoxy like a butter knife.

TT

poutanen 06-14-2012 12:05 PM

Epoxy expensive?!? :dunno:

I like the lepage stuff that comes in a syringe. It's two tubes meeting at one nozzle. You squeeze the two parts out onto a piece of plastic, or into the core of the board, use a toothpick to mix the epoxy REALLY well, then rest the board in a position that will allow the epoxy to sort of sit in its final position.

Generally the stuff is quite liquid when working with it, so you want to make a cavity for it to fill, then pour it in and let it cure. Then you can sand, file, shave it down and paint if need be. I repaired board this way in the mid-90's and it's still holding up.

Frootluips 06-27-2012 03:27 AM

Thanks timmytard. I used your advice and it worked like a charm.