Could you help a beginner out? I'm looking for a board that I won't outgrow. - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2012, 09:46 PM   #11 (permalink)

I've just been looking at some accounts of NS's vario power grip and I couldn't find anyone with anything bad to say about it. That being said, I keep coming across reviews of the proto ct where the reviewer specifically says that beginners shouldn't tackle it. However, it seems to be a pretty sick board and I would love to get it if I knew that I would be able to ride it without crashing into trees (seeing as I thought I was past that point). I just don't want to be selling it at the end of the season for less than what was paid for it - only to start this whole process again.
Daggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2012, 11:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

You should buy the cobra that burtonavenger has for sale in the classified section... $400 for a virtually new board....
Argo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:07 AM   #13 (permalink)
Banned!

Be aware that the RC camber option that is so popular these days (i love it too) has a small learning curve. The first week I had my proto it surprised me with a couple of hard scorpions when the camber section in front caught wierd. Heavily detuning around the contacts helped, but more importantly you will get used to the swivel that is between your feet. This board is not for lazy riding, it almost requires dynamic turns.

More experienced riders may disagree on some of these points but as you are a newer rider, I would keep these things in mind.

FWIW I FUCKING LOVE MY PROTO.

After 50 days on it and seeing how Cro butters it, I'm beginnning to realize that it may even be too much board for me for most situations (still love it for dropping steeps, cornices, pow, speed). Looking to an Evo or something comparable for next year.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:04 AM   #14 (permalink)

I think I'll pull the trigger on the proto. But I don't know whether a 152 or 154 is right for me. Also, with a size ten boot (and likely boss 309s) I should be alright with normal width,no?
Old 06-20-2012, 08:17 AM   #15 (permalink)

Nevermind, I'll go with 152 CT. I think I'll pair it with a pair of red Rome 309 bosses. Then I'll go to my local shop and find a pair of boots (I know, I know...I'm doing it backwards - but oh well)
Old 06-20-2012, 08:38 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daggs View Post
Nevermind, I'll go with 152 CT. I think I'll pair it with a pair of red Rome 309 bosses. Then I'll go to my local shop and find a pair of boots (I know, I know...I'm doing it backwards - but oh well)
You might want to consider the 154 instead of the 152. You definitely can and should do a "normal" width board with size 10 boots, but the waist width on the 152 does jump down considerably from the 154. You might be alright, but it would be pushing it a little. I totally back Snowolf's suggestions of the SL or Proto, and you definitely don't need to trip on any reviews saying they're not for beginners. I think that NS's RC tech makes for a really forgiving ride.
buggravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:26 AM   #17 (permalink)

I'm not sure why nobody has suggested an Arbor Coda, but I'll be the first.

1) RC profile is not easy to learn as a beginner, and like someone else mentioned, you are going to take some really brutal falls. A few years back, I jumped on my first Lib Tech, a Jamie Lynn, which was naturally a pretty stiff board, but I certainly took a couple nasty falls at 40+ MPH that just jumped at me. Didn't know what had happened on my toe side until I had buried my shoulder into the hardpacked. 2 runs later, as confidence was coming back, I did the same thing. Needless to say, that is part of learning, BUT...

2) The Arbor Coda is their full rocker system, but very stable at speed, a nice amount of dampening, great pop for a rockered board, and a board that I would buy now if I wasn't fully after a Banana Magic this year, and I am 4 years in.

3) They have grip tech, which IMO, is better than NS vario grip. Some might disagree.

4) The board is a twin tip shape, but with a slight set back, which is going to be nice for someone learning, as most of your riding in the first year is going to be regular, before you start really exploring switch, and being a twin shape, this board is more than capable of riding switch.

Last - you can get this years model, which the only thing that is changing for next year is top sheet, for a nice discount, and your size should be available.

Overall, I'd recommend this board for all mountain riding over a true twin Proto everyday of the week. With a slight setback, you will be more comfortable early riding at higher speeds, and this board eats it up well even in the afternoon chop. But like I said, it's only a slight set back, and perfectly capable of switch. And the board, especially sized at a 153, is more than capable of riding park, and was a board I had no problem pressing.

That would be my pick for you. I love the Proto, don't get me wrong, but it is more of a freestyle board, than all mountain, and if you are like most people, charging the mountain and progressing to steeper stuff, you will appreciate that set back as someone learning versus a true twin with a centered stance.

Last, it is not a beginner board, but more forgiving than say a Proto. Just my thoughts.

http://www.rei.com/product/820000/ar...:referralID=NA

You guys know by now I am not a spammer. Just trying to help someone out. REI has the 153 at 20% off, and the nice part about REI, say you don't like it, they have a no questions asked return policy. Meaning ride it, hate it for some reason (you won't), send it back, get a full refund.

Last edited by Nolefan2011; 06-20-2012 at 10:30 AM.
Nolefan2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:28 PM   #18 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I would have mentioned the Coda, but Snowolf mentioned something about not wanting to recommend a full rocker so I just kept on with that theme.

The Coda is an awesome board, and very stable for a full rocker. I haven't ridden the proto but have the SL and that is just as capable IMO. The Coda felt a lot more flexible to me although there was a big time gap between the time I rode them so I wouldn't say that is entirely accurate.

The Coda does get beat up faster then the NS boards though that I can attest to in my limited sample. Not the topsheet but the bottom. Just cruising the groomers I came home and it looked like someone took 25 grit to a section of my base. I'm like, how does that happen?
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:54 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan2011 View Post
I'm not sure why nobody has suggested an Arbor Coda, but I'll be the first.

1) RC profile is not easy to learn as a beginner, and like someone else mentioned, you are going to take some really brutal falls. A few years back, I jumped on my first Lib Tech, a Jamie Lynn, which was naturally a pretty stiff board, but I certainly took a couple nasty falls at 40+ MPH that just jumped at me. Didn't know what had happened on my toe side until I had buried my shoulder into the hardpacked. 2 runs later, as confidence was coming back, I did the same thing. Needless to say, that is part of learning, BUT...
IMHO if you're going 40+ as a beginner you're in over your head, and can't really point the finger at the board. I jumped on the 08/09 SL-R at the beginning of my 2nd season and had no issues at all, and have had a pile of NS boards since. I stand behind the statement that they're really forgiving.

That said, the Coda is a solid suggestion as well, and since the door was opened for me to spam, I know where one can be picked up for a solid price. http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ta-est-l1.html I'm the same weight as the OP and preferred the 155 over the 153 that I had last year, though that's obviously all personal preference.
buggravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:32 PM   #20 (permalink)

If I were to buy the proto, do you know where I could pick up a 154? And seeing as most are sold out, should I just wait until 2013 model considering that I can't use it until this winter anyway.