Could you help a beginner out? I'm looking for a board that I won't outgrow. - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2012, 02:23 PM   #21 (permalink)

I wasn't a beginner when I ate it. That's the point.

I just think the OP needs to figure out whether he plans to play on the jump line all day, or progress his mountain riding. As someone who has ridden both boards, and 20+ others, I'd push this guy away from the Proto, and toward a directional twin.

The Proto is a freestyle the mountain board, and a great jump line board, but if the poster wanted a board he'd be able to back bowls, steeps, and ride more aggressively at speed, I don't know why the push wouldn't be a directional twin.

Want a Never Summer? Fine, an SL. Want a Lib Tech, fine, a TRS. A Proto for me is someone who has decided they are riding switch from Day 1, spinning, and using the whole moutain as a park. For a beginner, who is learning to get confident carving at speed, learning to jump, and wanting to handle steeps, why not a directional twin?

This from someone who prefers true twins and rode a T Rice and Ultra Fear last year. I evolved to liking that over 4 years of riding. But I have plenty of Friends who went the Raptor or Highlife direction as well, who decided they could give a shit about the park.

Therefore, do yourself a favor. If you are going to be riding mostly regular (or maybe you're goofy), and plan to do this 90% of the time, get yourself a directional twin, allowing the freedom to explore freestyle, but the setback to enjoy directional riding and carving at it's finest.
Nolefan2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2012, 04:37 PM   #22 (permalink)

Why do you think that directional twins are better for carving as opposed to true twins? If you put someone on the two, blindfolded, would they be able to tell the difference?
Daggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 04:40 PM   #23 (permalink)

And are you saying that learning to ride park would be detrimental to me while riding a proto ct?
Old 06-20-2012, 04:57 PM   #24 (permalink)

Would you notice it blindfolded? Doesn't really matter since it's about feel and ride versus looks. You probably actually wouldn't notice it just looking at it. But first powder day, yeah, you'll notice a setback vs true twin. You will notice it charging as well.

Again, just from my experience riding a lot of boards, if you are riding directionally 90% of the time, buy a board that is built for that. Leave yourself some wiggle room making it a directional twin. Therefore, it will ride switch, it will be fine spinning and landing switch, but still gives you performance upgrade riding regular.

I would buy the Proto if you plan on spending significant time in the park. If not, and you aren't going to be riding switch a lot, an SL / Coda would be better choices. Still more than capable in the park (and the Coda is just flat out fun everywhere), but with a slight set back that again, on powder and in steeps, you'll notice the difference.

Part of it is knowing what you want to ride.

Last edited by Nolefan2011; 06-20-2012 at 05:01 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:59 PM   #25 (permalink)

Ok. Any ideas on where I can order one online when I'm ready to? Most places seem to be sold out. Also how do so many people seem to have the 2013 model? I didn't even think they were available for sale. Not that I would get it...the only difference between the two years are the graphics and I think I like 2012's better. But I'm still curious...
Old 06-20-2012, 05:01 PM   #26 (permalink)

But then again, I might look at the sl...
Old 06-20-2012, 05:45 PM   #27 (permalink)

Questions: What do you want to ride more, powder and off piste, or groomers? How much time are you spending in the park? Is your goal to get to the double blacks first, or landing a 180 off a 20 ft kicker? Is it more important to be as good a switch rider as a regular rider, or more important to learn to burn up the mountain and get to solid carving technique first?

This should help. Most are a pick one answer.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:14 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan2011 View Post
Questions: What do you want to ride more, powder and off piste, or groomers? How much time are you spending in the park? Is your goal to get to the double blacks first, or landing a 180 off a 20 ft kicker? Is it more important to be as good a switch rider as a regular rider, or more important to learn to burn up the mountain and get to solid carving technique first?

This should help. Most are a pick one answer.
Groomers. I would like to get into the park. I want the two to coincide - as I advance slopes I want to be able to pull off bigger and bigger jumps. And I believe that, like in any sport, if you can only use one side of your body, you are only half of what you could be. So yes, switch is important to me.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:41 PM   #29 (permalink)

Well, you sound like a candidate for the board. Go for it.

Wow, just googled the Poconos...was thinking AZ for some reason. PA? Get an Evo. Everything else's overkill. No bowls, no big mountain riding. Get something you can butter...you'll be bored fast, LOL

Last edited by Nolefan2011; 06-21-2012 at 12:03 AM.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:57 AM   #30 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daggs View Post
Groomers. I would like to get into the park. I want the two to coincide - as I advance slopes I want to be able to pull off bigger and bigger jumps. And I believe that, like in any sport, if you can only use one side of your body, you are only half of what you could be. So yes, switch is important to me.
Also keep in mind, that your preferences and interests will change and evolve over time. Especially as you become a better rider and become interested in developing specific new skills.
I started off wanting to do groomers and kickers. Then one season I really got into ground tricks (something I had zero interest in before) - wound up buying a Skate Banana and buttered all over the mountain. Next season I got the powder bug (and board). And it goes on like that...

So my board advice is similar to what I said about bindings earlier - something middle-of the-road in terms of flex, pricing, etc. that allows you to do what you are interested in now but that is also multi-purpose enough to let you try other things later on.
Again, there are lots of choices most of them perfectly suitable and will not go wrong as long as you stick with quality brands
- Proto is certainly a good choice. So is the SL. Or the TRS. The Arbor Coda probably as well.

In the future you might expand your quiver with more specialized gear - and may be sell your first board (much easier if it is a versatile all-mountain board) or make it your travel board (again, versatile board generally prepared for that - see the pattern?).

Last edited by hktrdr; 06-21-2012 at 01:12 AM.
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote