Could you help a beginner out? I'm looking for a board that I won't outgrow. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2012, 06:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Could you help a beginner out? I'm looking for a board that I won't outgrow.

Hey. I've been snowboarding about six times (in Breckenridge and the Poconos) and I really love it. I've reached the point where I'm not falling anymore (in addition to linking turns and such). That being said, I would love to buy my own board by the end of this winter, maybe after renting some more, but I hardly know where to start. I'm 15, 150 lbs., 5'10". Ideally, I would like a board that I could learn on so I don't have to run out and buy a new board after a year. But what I don't understand is what makes a board "made for beginners", other than flex (which, as I understand it, should be <5 for someone just starting out). I would like a board that is nice/good quality and wouldn't be detrimental to someone still learning. By the way, 99% of riding will be in the Poconos - which is infamous for its ice, if that makes a difference as to what board I should get. Any questions? Just ask.
Daggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2012, 06:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

And money isn't really an issue...
Old 06-19-2012, 06:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

That's funny because I was pretty intrigued with the Proto CT a couple of moths ago but I found myself shying away from it due to the fact that I got the sense that some didn't think it was suited for a beginner. But if you think otherwise, maybe I'll pull the trigger on it soon. Also, over spring break in breck, I was riding a 152. So you hit the nail on the head. As far as bindings go, what brand makes good bindings for beginners?
Old 06-19-2012, 07:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

And with size 10 feet (US), am I ok with the normal width?
Old 06-19-2012, 07:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daggs View Post
That's funny because I was pretty intrigued with the Proto CT a couple of moths ago but I found myself shying away from it due to the fact that I got the sense that some didn't think it was suited for a beginner. But if you think otherwise, maybe I'll pull the trigger on it soon. Also, over spring break in breck, I was riding a 152. So you hit the nail on the head. As far as bindings go, what brand makes good bindings for beginners?
I'm torn between the Proto CT and Cobra this year (and a million other boards). I have a new westmark as my fuck around stick so I'm leaning Cobra. I wouldn't worry about it being too advanced. Millions of people who never even visited a forum have learned on whatever it is someone had spare in their garage. Just stay away from a too long too stiff board and you'll be fine.

I think a 154 proto would be perfect if you gain weight. 152 if you don't.

If you're really afraid of something to stiff maybe an Evo if we're sticking with NS sticks. It's not that soft but softer then the other decks mentioned. Capable of some all mountain trickery but does chatter when you get speed on bumpy terrain.
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

An bindings? Some say go with flexible ones as a beginner, others say go stiffer... Your take?
Old 06-19-2012, 08:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
An bindings? Some say go with flexible ones as a beginner, others say go stiffer... Your take?
Medium flex.

Burton Malavitas/Cartels.
raiden Phantoms
390 bosses.

Those are the ones I'd look at. I have K2 Uprises which fit the flex profile too, but I don't like the strap on my boots, others do. Up to you.
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

You mentioned that you will be riding in a lot of icy conditions so I would also recommend you pick a board with an edge that will perform well there. Mervin boards (Lib-Tech, Gnu) and Smokin boards have magne-traction, which is pretty much a serrated edge that they claim gives better edge hold in ice. My personal experience with magne-traction has been awesome riding the shitty icy conditions up here in Minnesota, but I’ve read great things on this forum about Never Summer’s “vario power grip” as well.
Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Get something middle-of the-road in terms of flex as well as pricing, e.g., Burton Missions (Cartels if you want to splurge), Rome 390s, maybe the Flux TT30s, etc. Lots of choices, most of them perfectly suitable for most purposes (I know a competitive rider and instructor who still has Burton Custom bindings on one of this boards).

Over time you will discover more about your riding style and what it important to you (response, shock absorption, canting, adjustability, etc.) - at that point you can get something more specialized and suited to your preferences. And the older bindings can become your back-up or can go onto another board.
Or you might choose to modify what you have - there are lots of people with Frankenbindings.

Whatever you do, make sure that your bindings match your boots in size and fit. Some bindings come in three sizes (S/M/L) others only in two (S-M and L-XL). Many people in the 'cross-over range' between bindings sizes tend to go with the larger size (for easier entry, etc.), which is ok as long as the gap between the sides of the boot and the 'frame' of the binding is not too big.

Last edited by hktrdr; 10-30-2012 at 03:40 PM.
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen View Post
You mentioned that you will be riding in a lot of icy conditions so I would also recommend you pick a board with an edge that will perform well there. Mervin boards (Lib-Tech, Gnu) and Smokin boards have magne-traction, which is pretty much a serrated edge that they claim gives better edge hold in ice. My personal experience with magne-traction has been awesome riding the shitty icy conditions up here in Minnesota, but I’ve read great things on this forum about Never Summer’s “vario power grip” as well.
Various shapes of Magne-traction are also on Jones and some Rossignol boards. Many other manufacturers these days have technology aimed at achieving a similar effect (improving edge hold essentially by adding contact points) - NS's VarioGrip works very well by most accounts, Rome's QuickRip is also quite well regarded, while Burton's FrostBite frequently gets panned.
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote