Need advice on a new board. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2012, 01:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Need advice on a new board.

Hey guys, used to be a pretty active member on these forums. Been a little busy lately and been bummed out about last season so iv'e kinda been out of the loop when it comes to 2013 gear.

Stats

weight: 170

height: 5 ft 11

shoe: 11

Advanced rider

I live in Ohio unfortunately so i need a board with good edgehold. In ohio i am ( attempting) to get good at kickers and am hitting thing anywhere from 10 to 30 ft. Trying to get better at them. I hit a jib once in a while but not my biggest concern. I go out west 1-3 times a year and am all about powder when im there. I like tree runs so i need a board that responsive. I also like charging through POW and hitting small clifs.

My question is if there is any board that could accommodate these things. I was looking at the 2012 arbor blacklist which i had my eye on last year and i like it. Also the Never Summer SL or proto. Any suggestions?

Right now i ride a 2011 Banana Magic and i loved it except for in the park. I also don't have 700 bucks lol.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.
SHREDDER97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2012, 04:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

The proto CT has blunted tips, which kind of makes it slightly harder to keep your nose up above the powder than other boards... I'm unsure whether or not the SL has this feature, but I would guess not. I have a proto, and it's awesome at kickers and does well with small cliffs (can't really tell you much about anything big). Edge hold is better than I expected, but it's not like it's gonna dig through continuous ice (well no board really does). I think it's more of a decision between more response/powder use VS. greater kicker/park/jib use. Regardless, both are amazing boards from everyone who I've spoken to, and my own opinion as well. Sorry I can't tell you much about Arbor boards, don't really know too many people who have them by me.
BiG NicK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

thanks Big Nick. I guess i have to decide what i really want. Anyways not looking at those boards only because i don't really know of any 2013 boards yet. Any suggestions are awesome
Old 06-20-2012, 06:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

From Arbor check the Coda. And as far as the Proto not floating as well because of blunted tips, its rocker. Stop being a baby.

Also look into maybe a Flow Era or maybe the Shifty. Flows sidecuts on their rockers grips suprisingly well and the Shifty is camber. Mellowed camber, but still camber. Nitro being more Euro than US usually has gnarly sidecuts that grip well so take a look at the Rook and maybe the Team Gullwing. If you're down for good old fashioned builds look at the Signal OG Flat for 2013. No special edgetech, just a deep sidecut. Its my everyday board at Bear. But it will grip a pipe wall if you know how to work it.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Really like the arbor coda. nivek, How would that do in the park. Mostly jumps but a few jibs. WOuld the westmark do okay in powder? I am growing closer and closer to the proto every day. The flow boards look cool and i remember last year a lot of members were loving them and there price. I will also look into those nitro boards.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Don't really see what the boards that the OP and others have mentioned here would offer that the Banana Magic does not already...
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

i have grown out of the magic. trust me if i could i would get another one. Any board advice for something that rides similar to the magic but can handle jumps and a few jibs?
Old 06-21-2012, 10:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

I was under the impression that the Magic had pretty good pop? Is that off base? I get that it won't jib...it's a pretty stiff flex, but pop wise, I had read it's one of Lib's poppier decks. Was this not the case?
Nolefan2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan2011 View Post
I was under the impression that the Magic had pretty good pop? Is that off base? I get that it won't jib...it's a pretty stiff flex, but pop wise, I had read it's one of Lib's poppier decks. Was this not the case?
In my experience a poppy Lib is still not that poppy... also they get mushy? Yes, I believe that's what I think.

Coda is basically aimed at being a park board for people whos whole resort is their park. So yeah, theres that. The Westmark is still anti-camber so yeah it will do fine in powder. I pretty much only ride twins all the time which includes powder. If a board has rocker and isn't too small for you, you should be able to ride powder with it, or you're suckz and you should quit.

The Proto is good, I've just never been a fan of Neversummer to be honest. Also they don't retain their initial life very long. I can ride a Nitro or a Signal all year and it stays pretty much the same after broken in. Arbor is likely the same and I'm sure BA can attest to that, I've just never owned one myself. Neversummers break in like anything else, then like 50-60 days on mountain later they get "pffy". They'll stay rideable longer than a lot of other stuff, but who really needs a board to last 4 years? You'll likely get a new board before then anyhow.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:06 AM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks Nivek. Didn't realize that. My Rice has held up strong this year. I demoed last years model, and I know what you mean about getting mushy. But this years model after about 40 days seems pretty stiff and springy still. Not sure what the difference is.

As far as the Coda, I agree. Awesome board. Was trying to talk the beginner on the other thread out of the Proto and into the Coda, but he even admitted he had his eye on the Proto before the suggestions, so there is no breaking him at that point. I like true twins as well, but as a beginner, do yourself a favor and get a directional twin like a Coda. You aren't going to ride switch anywhere near the amount you think you will the first year. Everyone thinks that they will in theory, but when you start naturally progressing regular first, you push that about as far as you can get before really diving into switch.
Nolefan2011 is offline   Reply With Quote