Board Size Advice - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2012, 12:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default Board Size Advice

Last year I bought a 155cm burton clash for my beginner board. I was 5'10 240lb last year and didn't really have any trouble learning on the board and by the end of the season I was riding and linking turns with no issues and no falls. I've ordered a new board for the upcoming season, and got another 155cm. I've dropped about 35 pounds since last year and plan on getting to 175-185 by the end of the year. Will the 155 still work for my size? I'm riding on the east coast in icier conditions (East Tennessee/Western Carolina area).
backstop13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2012, 01:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

should be fine.
yuhaoyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have a 155cm proto ctx and I'm 5'9" and weigh around 170-180lbs... It's fine for me, but I think it's really up to what type of riding you'll end up doing most. If you are just riding groomers and wanna do a little park I'd say it's all good. If you are just a pure groomer guy or backcountry riding I'd aim a little longer (upper 150s and low 160s). Just be dedicated to getting to your goal weight cuz you're gonna stay around 200lbs it would be best to stay slightly longer than 155cm in my opinion. I'm just telling you a general guideline, but it's entirely up to your preference. I'm just a little surprised you had a 155cm at 240lbs.
BiG NicK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

agreed. you'll be fine. i find learning on a smaller board is helpful. easier to turn. once you get your weight down, you might find it a bit harder linking and initiating turns, but you'll get used to it and all shall be golden. i'm sure when you got your board, they based it on your height, not weight. big mistake, but whatever. didn't hurt you any.

and congratulations on the loss! good work. hope it is making you feel great, because tht what is important. that and picking up hot chicks.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Yeah no back country for me. It tends to be a little too warm here in the winter and we have to rely on blown snow (that's why there's so much ice). Mainly riding groomers and might try to get in the park some this year. It's crazy though, I lost about 20 pounds in the first few weeks of the season last year, and by then I had learned pretty well (it was my first year boarding). I had a pretty good rider suggest a 155 for me at my local shop, so I'm not sure why he suggested the 155cm. Either way, I was able to control the 155 easily, I guess the only concern would be my fat ass snapping the board.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

i have a 155... its my park/fun board. my regular all mountain is a 161. i'm 185lbs. but totally depends on how and what you are riding. i like the longer ones for speed and edge control. shorter one is great in the trees to hop around and hit the park.

i find everyone suggests things based on what they want. the guy who suggested 155 is probably a pure park rider and has a 150 with a super tight stance... doesn't mean its right for you... or wrong for that matter! people will tell you that the wrong size can ruin the sport for you... for me, nah. it would just make it a bit harder.

again, first board, i'd usually suggest smaller as well. and for your next one that you ordered.. should be just about right based on the weight lost!

if their are demo days, try out a few different sizes and setups. i love doing that.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooscoops View Post
i have a 155... its my park/fun board. my regular all mountain is a 161. i'm 185lbs. but totally depends on how and what you are riding. i like the longer ones for speed and edge control. shorter one is great in the trees to hop around and hit the park.

i find everyone suggests things based on what they want. the guy who suggested 155 is probably a pure park rider and has a 150 with a super tight stance... doesn't mean its right for you... or wrong for that matter! people will tell you that the wrong size can ruin the sport for you... for me, nah. it would just make it a bit harder.

again, first board, i'd usually suggest smaller as well. and for your next one that you ordered.. should be just about right based on the weight lost!

if their are demo days, try out a few different sizes and setups. i love doing that.

you're exactly right. The guy in the shop rides pure park. Since i spent all that money on a new board it will definitely be motivation to keep losing the weight so i can ride this winter!

Thanks for all the advice.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

that's my motivation too =)
yuhaoyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:25 AM   #9 (permalink)

Congrats on your weight loss. Board should be fine. I have a 155 that I am able to use no problem and I'm 6'2 170lbs. My other about is a 159 when I'm in powder.
Megatron X is offline   Reply With Quote