board for powder and carving - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2012, 09:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default board for powder and carving

any suggestion if i just wanted to do those?

Requirements:

- Easy turn initiation
- Good edge hold
- Good float
- Fast

Not going to use it at all for park

Thanks guys
kanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2012, 10:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

jones flagship, smoking kt-22, venture odin, gnu temple,neversummer raptor or premier, ride highlife, burton supermodel, (not sure if they make it anymore they probably have something similar) these are all stiff big mountain boards with some powder specific shaping added.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

I'm still a pro-camber kinda guy. For big mountain stuff, powder and carving on groomers, I like a stiff cambered board. I'm on a burton T7 but there are many options. Burton Custom X, Neversummer Raptor, Kessler Ride, Prior Freeride (can be made full camber too), I'm sure there are others...

Also if you are going to be doing large turns in either powder or groomed snow, a longer board will be beneficial. A few cm longer than what you typically ride will help with edge hold, float, and speed.

Some people say camber doesn't float as well as rocker. Just move your bindings back a couple inches if you're focused on a LOT of powder. Or if you're riding powder on a regular basis maybe a powder board is right for you, something that you can take on groomers but is most at home in the fluffy stuff.

Where are you going to be riding the most?
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

Sounds like you want a stiff, densely sintered, directional, camber/rocker/camber hybrid with some variety of grip tech. Center rocker gives you some lovely float in even the gnarliest pow, outer camber zones help with groomer control, and since you don't care about park anything, a directional stick would be preferred.

I'd suggest you start with looking at the Lib dark series, or maybe the NS raptor (though I'm not as familiar with it) and then go from there.

EDIT: C/R/C hybrids will definitely lean you towards powder, but will still carve a groomer pretty darn well. Pure camber will lean you towards groomers instead. So you'll have to decide which kind of performance envelope you really want.

Last edited by Irahi; 07-04-2012 at 01:32 PM.
Irahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

thanks for the replies! will search every single one

what about the lib tech phoenix lando?
Old 07-04-2012, 08:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

What skill level?
grafta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

high intermediate, can bomb every blue/red, comfortable to shred on blacks
Old 07-04-2012, 10:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Signal OG Flat, Flow Solitude, Ride Slackcountry, Salomon Mans Board, Bataleon Enemy, Nitro Blacklight Gullwing, or a Venture Zephyr R.

If it were me, OG Flat, but I own one and just love that board for everything, just a classic time proven shape and flex. I grab my 51 for everything park, then a 53 for all mountain fun, then a 55 for all mountain freeride. Otherwise probably either the Flow, Nitro, or Bataleon. None have "edge tech" but with boards this stiff I don't think you need. And to be honest things like MTX will slow you down and in a way take some of the edge control from you. They lock you into a turn more than other sidecuts and to me it feels like putting my turn into auto pilot. I don't want my board in control of me. Sidecuts like on the Flow grip very very well while remaing smooth and fast. Nitro is a more euro influenced brand which lends they're sidecuts to be much more carve focused. I've never ridden one of their decks that wasn't at home laying a trench, even their budget park decks like the Swindle can handle a hard turn. I've owned gullwing and its nimble. TBT. Well it's camber, so you get the edge hold and power in a turn from that, but the base shape makes the tips into a shape reminiscent of a boat hull so the float is as good as you'll get with camber. They roll up on edge very quickly and with your contact pts picked up your flat base speed is superb.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634

Last edited by Nivek; 07-04-2012 at 10:17 PM.
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
None have "edge tech" but with boards this stiff I don't think you need. And to be honest things like MTX will slow you down and in a way take some of the edge control from you.
I've said it once and I'll say it again. I agree with your statement 100%. Take a look at all the boards used by Olympic BXers and downhill racers. If any of those crazy edge techs or rocker profiles were so great, wouldn't they be making it onto the podiums? Do they not need edge hold more than we do?

For ultimate in speed and stability, a stiff, cambered, normal edge board is the only way to go.
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
ETM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
I've said it once and I'll say it again. I agree with your statement 100%. Take a look at all the boards used by Olympic BXers and downhill racers. If any of those crazy edge techs or rocker profiles were so great, wouldn't they be making it onto the podiums? Do they not need edge hold more than we do?

For ultimate in speed and stability, a stiff, cambered, normal edge board is the only way to go.
Im with you. Camber for the carving aspect, then give it a long nose with gentle up curve and a short tail and you have a board that will carve awesome and float like a proverbial butterfly.
ETM is online now   Reply With Quote