Best Twin Boards for Powder and Aggressive All Mountain? - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2012, 01:48 PM   #11 (permalink)

If you have ridden the T Rice, and the Proto, you know there is a monster difference in stiffness, stability, etc. It's not close
Nolefan2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2012, 01:56 PM   #12 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I was just saying that what you described is essentially how NS is positioning the Proto. You mentioned the SL as being the "next step up", but it has the same flex as the Proto.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:15 PM   #13 (permalink)

Ah, you are right. Checked the website. I road the SL in 2010, road the Proto last winter. I found the Proto fairly playful, having some nice pop, and pretty stable. But it wouldn't be my choice on that backcountry shit. Great resort board, great tree board, great jump line board.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:53 PM   #14 (permalink)
Veteran Member

how about a dirty pillow?
Gnu Dirty Pillow BTX Snowboard from Departmentofgoods.com
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:18 PM   #15 (permalink)
duh

The TRice is a great choice for an powder and aggresive riding in general. It doesn't have as much rocker as some of the other boards in their line so it tends to plane better at speed. Check out the HorsePower version if you can, the added dampness really makes a difference when the snow gets rough.
duh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:35 PM   #16 (permalink)

Hey duh: Are there any lib-tech boards that would have more rocker so give more of a floaty,surfy feel to them?
Londoner_25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:05 PM   #17 (permalink)
duh

hey Londoner, the "enhaced banana" boards have the most rocker, these would be the Cygnus and the Banana Magic. Personally I found these boards to have way too much rocker for my liking, they tend to "dolphin" out of the snow at speed. The TRS, Dark Series, Phoenix/Lando, Skunk Ape, La Nina and Birdman are all great pow boards with a little more rocker than TRice. The Birdman might have the most "surfy" feel of any board I have ridden, but the extra long nose takes some getting used to.
duh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:23 PM   #18 (permalink)

I thought the Rice and Phoenix were the exact same profile, minus the Rice being midwide and a pure twin
Old 07-05-2012, 04:37 PM   #19 (permalink)

I am leaning towards a 157 T Rice... and it's made in the USA
Pow Wow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:59 PM   #20 (permalink)
Veteran Member

OP How much do you weigh?

I weigh 175lbs and ride a 157 proto here in Japan (Nozawa). Whilst the T.rice is sure to be stiffer thats not always better IMO.

I ride the same kind of stuff, mostly powder, trees, natural hits throwing spins (360s 180s) and grabs.

At my weight its still stiff enough for aggressive riding, has great float and stability on landings. I love it.

I also love riding switch in the powder and being able to spin and land switch off natural hits.

Of course a twin won't float in the super deep and over about 40-50cm of fresh (depends on the weight of the powder) I will reach for a pow specific board.

I used to ride a very stiff ride highlife, but I really like the softer feel of the proto. Its mid flex, but you can flex it in a way that helps you turn faster in steep deep tree runs. Also just more all round fun than a super stiff board.

If you weigh much more than me it might be too flexy for you.

The T.rice is by all accounts much stiffer if thats what you want. The proto is just stiff enough for me and it does float very well in the Japanese powder.

Here it is in action.
dreampow is offline   Reply With Quote