Best Twin Boards for Powder and Aggressive All Mountain? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2012, 04:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

Cool Best Twin Boards for Powder and Aggressive All Mountain?

Hello!

I'm coming on my fifth season riding in Japan. I ride 95% powder, trees, and natural terrain. We get a lot of snow here.

For powder riding, I've actually come to prefer twin boards over tapered-boards and pow-specific boards. Twins are more stable for landings off of cliffs and riding switch helps with leg burn.

I rode a DC Devun Walsh 157 about sixty times last year and it was great.

I'm looking around for a new board for next season. I want an aggressive twin which floats in powder. A twin is preferred, but I'm considering a directional twin also.

Right now I'm looking at:

Lib Tech T Rice
Yes The Greats
Rome Mod Rocker
Capita Black Snowboard of Death
Jones Mountain Twin

Anyone ridden these boards? Any other recommendations for a twin free-ride powder board?
Pow Wow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2012, 08:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
ETM
Veteran Member

A twin board is pretty much the opposite of what makes a good powder board, if you insist on a twin the only thing you should really make sure of is that its got plenty of rocker to try and help with getting that nose up. As for specific boards Im not sure as they are not my cup of tea.
ETM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:38 AM   #3 (permalink)

I know a twin board isn't supposed to be for powder. But tapered boards and powder specific boards are boring. I've ridden them before. They don't seem to have as much pop or as much stability off booters and cliffs.
Pow Wow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I think salomon makes some pow twins, Mans board and powder snake i think? I don't know much about them but they might be in the realm of what you are looking for.

http://www.snowboards.com/Salomon-Si...prefv1=Salomon

Last edited by Justin; 07-05-2012 at 10:45 AM.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:07 AM   #5 (permalink)

I understand what you're talking about, I ride a 2010 NS Evo (stiffer than the newer models) primarily in powder/trees and it's so much fun because it's extremely responsive. It takes a little more skill and effort because it's not designed for powder, but with the rocker it does well enough. I do use a slight setback though, about 3/4 in. It's enough to get my weight on the back and keep the front popped - without it you definitely bog in deeper stuff.

Maybe take a look at the NS Proto, it's stiffer than the Evo but still plenty playful.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Salomon drift rocker might work as well.

K2 ultra dream looks interesting.

Atomic 2012 Sir Floatalot Snowboard at Levelninesports.com
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:31 AM   #7 (permalink)

Cross the BSOD off the list. It's a directional twin.

I loved my Travis Rice. The board could more than handle cliff drops and was very stable on landings. Floated well.

One board that looked interesting to me, that you can still find on discount from last year, was the Ride Arcade. Still true twin, pop rods, slime walls for dampening. I rode a DH2 and like that board a lot as well. Ride makes some great products, and both the Arcade and DH2 fit that aggressive, true twin, made for popping off everything in sight.
Nolefan2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned!

My proto handles pow fine with a centered stance, I'd feel confident taking it into deep shit just by setting it back. Obviously its not going to do anything like a real powder board, but I agree with the OP's opinion and have no desire to ride a directional plank just because they are "supposed" to be for big mountain. I'll drop into waist deep pow off a nice fat cornice above treeline without a second thought.

edit: maybe next year Ill have some pow to drop into, instead of a rock field.

Last edited by snowklinger; 07-05-2012 at 11:52 AM.
snowklinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

I've never understood why NS doesn't make a stiff, aggressive true twin. The SL is the next step up from the Proto, but it's directional. As neat a concept as the Cobra is, they are definitely missing the stiff aggressive true twin. I would have thought that would be the next priority.
Nolefan2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan2011 View Post
I've never understood why NS doesn't make a stiff, aggressive true twin.
The Proto basically is that. It has the same flex as the SL. Middle of the road for NS, but NS generally runs pretty stiff compared to other brands.