GNU Riders Choice size - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2012, 10:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

Question GNU Riders Choice size

Hey guys,

I need a little help, I'm smth about 5'7 and 147 pounds, so I decided to buy GNU RC, cuz I love backcountry and want to start park (yay!).

So, before this one I used Burton Blunt 155, now I can't decide if I need 154,5 or 151,5 board. I mean it's magnetraction (so -3cm), but I don't want to lose speed.

Which one is ok for me?

And is it true that GNU RC is heavy and not that easy to pop?

Regards!
kvazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2012, 10:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger

i don't recall this board being particularly heavy. It may be heavier than average but I would not say "really heavy". IMO the pop on the Riders Choice was really good.

Probably not the best board for riding park, I would look for something a little softer probably, but for the rest of the mountain, groomers or pow, it will be pretty solid, one of my favorite Mervin boards. Here mine & Leo's review of the 2013 Riders Choice.
david_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:17 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_z View Post
i don't recall this board being particularly heavy. It may be heavier than average but I would not say "really heavy". IMO the pop on the Riders Choice was really good.

Probably not the best board for riding park, I would look for something a little softer probably, but for the rest of the mountain, groomers or pow, it will be pretty solid, one of my favorite Mervin boards. Here mine & Leo's review of the 2013 Riders Choice.
Thanks! What about "something a little softer", is there a name under it ? I'd like to compare, if you have somth on the top of your mind.

And what about size, any advice?
Old 07-09-2012, 11:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvazar View Post
I mean it's magnetraction (so -3cm), but I don't want to lose speed.
Never heard that Magnetraction has much of an influence on what board size is appropriate...
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

pretty sure he just means the c2btx
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Id stick with the 154 size, I don't downsize. The riders choice is a good all around board. Rode a rc skate banan and lando pheniox all in one day. The riders choice was in the middle when it came to stiffness, but was more forgiving and playful than the pheniox. Pop was good, the board carves turns a lot better than most park boards.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
pretty sure he just means the c2btx
Yep, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by walove View Post
Id stick with the 154 size, I don't downsize. The riders choice is a good all around board. Rode a rc skate banan and lando pheniox all in one day. The riders choice was in the middle when it came to stiffness, but was more forgiving and playful than the pheniox. Pop was good, the board carves turns a lot better than most park boards.
Thanks! What about weight? Was it like above average? which board did you ride, 11/12 ? And if not this board, which would you recommend ?
Old 07-09-2012, 07:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

it was a 10/11 riders choice and skate banana, and a 11/12 lando. board weight has never meant much to me i regularly ride boards between 150 and 165, and they all seem pretty close. light boots are nice when you are hiking a lot.

we were freesnowboarding all day, and the rider choice didnt disappoint in any manor. i like btx better than c2, its just a looser ride. i would love to ride an attack bannan as the ec2 is supposed to be between c2 and btx.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvazar View Post
Thanks! What about "something a little softer", is there a name under it ? I'd like to compare, if you have somth on the top of your mind.

And what about size, any advice?
If the smaller size RC really is like a 5 or 5.5 flex then maybe it's not as stiff as I seem to remember (the 157.5 felt stiffer than "6" in my opinion). Don't get me wrong, it wasn't a plank or anything but definitely stiffer than most people would care for in a freestyle/park board. There are few boards out there that are legitimately quiver killers and will perform awesome in the park, on the groomers and in the pow, so whatever board you go with you're likely have to make some sacrifice in one of those areas. With the R/C the playfulness seemed more likely on natural terrain and jumps so don't expect to be doing "Masters of Ground" type maneuvers or boardslide changeups but if you're looking to start on jumps, basic boxes and beginner rails, without committing to a lot of advanced rail maneuvers the RC will do most of what you want.

size 154 is probably what all the charts will recommend for you, but ultimately that comes down to personal preference. most people are OK riding 2-3cm shorter than normal on any reverse/hybrid camber board compared to regular camber.

If you're looking to make this an all purpose board I wouldn't downsize too much or even at all. if you're looking for a board to ride primarily in the park I'd get something else, and would most likely drop to around 151-152

Repping the world's smallest mountains... 2013-2014 snow days: 42

Mt. Brighton - 13
Mt. Holly - 5
Hawk Island - 3
Mt. Bohemia - 3
Mt. Tolle - 3
Pine Knob - 2
Crystal Mountain - 2
Treetops - 2
Alpine Valley - 2
Caberfae Peaks - 2
Urban - 1
Slackcountry - 1
Boyne Mountain - 1
Sugar Mountain, NC - 1
Beech Mountain, NC - 1
david_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:37 AM   #10 (permalink)

walove, david_z - thanks guys! Thats very helpful.

Why manufacterers don't publish weight? I mean, I want to compare Lib Tech TRS 154 and GNU RC 154.5, but no info is available (I wrote an e-mail, hope they'll answer it). I don't want to lose in playfullness to much, and weight as well as stiffness is crucial here.