What to buy: 2012 T. Rice Limited Edition, 2013 NS Proto CT or Cobra? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2012, 02:18 AM   #1 (permalink)

Question What to buy: 2012 T. Rice Limited Edition, 2013 NS Proto CT or Cobra?

I've spent quite some time the past week or so researching about which snowboard I want to buy for the next season. I'm from Colorado, so I've been riding big mountain all my life and I'd say I'm an expert. I've always gotten hand-me-down boards from my brother or friends--currently have like an '04 Burton full cambered. I like to cruise down (powder) runs hitting natural kickers and jumps, tree runs (moderate to high amount of trees), hitting the kickers in the park, and the occasional box or rail (but not often, more of a jump guy). I'd say I'm 70/30 big mountain/park.

I can't find any 2012 Proto CT's out there still for sale, so I'll have to pay full price for the 2013 Proto or the Cobra. I can find a 2012 T. Rice Art of Flight Limited Edition board for $200 less than what I'd have to pay for the 2013 NS boards. I love the graphics of the T. Rice Art of Flight more than any other board I've been looking at--I'd like to have graphics I'd enjoy looking at spending this much for a board. But I can't decide if I'd like a little bit softer board than the T. Rice (7 flex rating). I'm also considering the 2012 NS Heritage if I can find one. I LOVE the black base with the Colorado flag (represent!).

I'm 5' 8" and 160 lbs with a size 9 boot. I'd like a 152-154 cm board.

Any help/advice is much appreciated.
Fruman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2012, 02:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

If you want a cobra, I think BA is still selling one. Check the boards for sale.
bseracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

Too bad it's a 158.

I'm also thinking about getting a NS SL. Would that board suit my style as well?
Old 07-10-2012, 03:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

there are still some protos out there, most don't have much of a discount, some are only 10% off.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:42 AM   #5 (permalink)

If by Big Mountain, you mean that through the gate shit, there is zero debate for me. The T Rice eats it up and provides the stability needed to do things. There is a lot of NS love here. I own a Heritage for this year...so I am not biased. But NS currently doesn't make a dedicated, true twin, big mountain board. The Proto is a great board. I've ridden it for about 3 days. I would call it your perfect resort all mountain / free style board. Great in the jump line, plenty of pop, fun in the trees, fun on groomers, playful, but still stable enough at speed. But big mountain? I don't know, there was a night and day difference taking this board down the Hobacks in Jackson Hole, and the TRice. TRice just killed it....
Nolefan2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:56 AM   #6 (permalink)

Nolefan2011, thanks for the input. I'm leaning towards the T. Rice myself, but I want a softer board because I mainly do all-mountain with the occasional crazy shit up top on certain trips. I will be going to Jackson Hole this winter, since I went to University of Wyoming and know quite a few Jacksonites that insist I go up there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
there are still some protos out there, most don't have much of a discount, some are only 10% off.
I can't find any. Where are they?
Old 07-13-2012, 09:05 AM   #7 (permalink)

Default Same Boat

I saw this topic and it made me laugh because I was in the same boat this year. My riding is similar to yours, although not as hard core backcountry. I ride in bounds, but mostly in the double black areas: trees, steeps, etc. I'm a good bit bigger than you though, 5'10" @ 255 lbs. Prior to this year, I had the 2008 T.Rice in 157 which was the only year it was full banana(reverse camber). It was fun for a while, but I wanted something bigger and with a camber medley to get the best of both worlds. I came down to the T.Rice with C2 and the Proto with the RC. I really loved the T.Rice graphics, and was fond of magnetraction. However, in the end I went with the Proto because I wanted to try NS. I'm so happy with my decision. I got the 160, and I can honestly say it's the best board I've ever ridden. I literally feel like a better rider because of it.
genebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruman View Post
Nolefan2011, thanks for the input. I'm leaning towards the T. Rice myself, but I want a softer board because I mainly do all-mountain with the occasional crazy shit up top on certain trips. I will be going to Jackson Hole this winter, since I went to University of Wyoming and know quite a few Jacksonites that insist I go up there.

I can't find any. Where are they?

I will try to look for it, but im going to africa for 3 weeks and am getting ready for that. If i have time i will look through my website list.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:21 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Just buy a splitboard and be done with it......
Old 07-13-2012, 04:13 PM   #10 (permalink)

You can find a 2012 NS Heritage 156....
Massimo is offline   Reply With Quote