What to buy: Bataleon Whatever vs YES. great dudes of history - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2012, 11:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default What to buy: Bataleon Whatever vs YES. great dudes of history

Hey guys, i'm looking at buyng a new board for the coming season. I am intermediate-advanced and have been boarding for about 5 seasons. I want an 'all-mountain' board that i can play around with, butter, and play around in the park a little whilst still having stable turns when carving. The two boards i've been looking at are the Whatever (156cm) and the YES great dudes of history (156cm).

I love the Bataleon tbt, and the whatever seems to be a great all-mountain, with a a lot of flex (rating of 7 i think), whereas the YES board is a hybrid rocker/camber (which i have never ridden) and is similar to the Whatever-although i can't find much info on the YES board.

If there are any other boards you would recommend that would be good also

Thanks again
jarrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2012, 07:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

I've ridden both boards and I liked the YES more. I should mention though that I'm kind of a fanboy of the YES camber profile. For me it really is the best of both worlds. Very stable but playful. The Whatever was fun to ride. I like TBT a lot but the Bataleon boards are a tad too heavy in my opinion and if I remember correctly, the Whatever has an extruded base which I didn't like.

It really comes down to personal preference. Either board is a good choice but in my opinion the YES is more versatile for all-mountain riding.
Basti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basti View Post
I've ridden both boards and I liked the YES more. I should mention though that I'm kind of a fanboy of the YES camber profile. For me it really is the best of both worlds. Very stable but playful. The Whatever was fun to ride. I like TBT a lot but the Bataleon boards are a tad too heavy in my opinion and if I remember correctly, the Whatever has an extruded base which I didn't like.

It really comes down to personal preference. Either board is a good choice but in my opinion the YES is more versatile for all-mountain riding.
I own both boards and....

+1 to what he said.

Yes Dudes, for "All Mountain" with some park thrown in. I rode a few days at the end of the season and it was a blast. it's on the stiffer side so Park means jumps and some boxes, I'm not sure I'd do anything other than 50s on a rail with it.

Bataleon Whatever for fucking fun. It really will do "Whatever" I took it to Mammoth for 4 days and I'll say it'll go over the entire mountain including single blacks (I only went up to those). On well groomed runs it's fine, if it gets choppy or mogul-y that board will make you work and kick your ass if you're lazy. It's INSANELY fun in the park.

If you're going to dork around the whole mountain and do park, I say the Whatever. If you're going to charge and do some park I say the Yes.

I don't really care about weight, but I didn't find the Whatever (153) to be any heavier than the Yes (154), in fact I think the Bataleon may have been lighter.
phony_stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I think I answered this before when you posted in the wrong section. In short, when I rode the YES I found the edgetech to be pointless and the pop in too specific a spot to get to. When I rode the Whatever I didn't want to give it back at the end of the day, it did everything I want from an all mountain fun board.
Now if youre talking about 2013 it change everything as the Dudes got a complete redesign and BA said it was stupid fun, as in he'd actually consider owning one.

So 2013 Dudes, or any other year Whatever.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Yeah, it was actually reading what NivekeviN that got me to try and buy a Bataleon whatever.

They re-designed the great dudes? What's different about it?
Old 07-17-2012, 08:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phony_stark View Post
Yeah, it was actually reading what NivekeviN that got me to try and buy a Bataleon whatever.

They re-designed the great dudes? What's different about it?
Well unless I misunderstood, its the one with like Terje and P.Line and themz on it for 2013. So its an asym. Shorter, deeper heelside sidecut and I would guess based on how BA said it rode a whole new core profile or new gut tech. Basically I gather it only carries of the Great ___ of History name and that's really it.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
Well unless I misunderstood, its the one with like Terje and P.Line and themz on it for 2013. So its an asym. Shorter, deeper heelside sidecut and I would guess based on how BA said it rode a whole new core profile or new gut tech. Basically I gather it only carries of the Great ___ of History name and that's really it.

Nah that's the one, you got it right. I think they just used the sizes from the Great Dudes and the guts from the Great Beauties, which was a different core from the dudes. I tried both the dudes and beauties last year and couldn't tell a huge difference just riding around, but maybe they made a tweak here and there, good to know.