Whats the big deal about K2? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2012, 12:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Whats the big deal about K2?

I keep hearing about people talking so greatly about K2 products. I don't know what the big deal is, i always viewed them as like a lower end product for newbies.

Like if they're so good then why are there like no huge pros riding for them?

Maybe its just me but could someone please explain what all the buzz is about?
sk8_choco21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2012, 01:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned!

They have been in the ski industry for a long time, and were fairly quick to get on snowboarding. Other people in the industry can comment on the details but they are basically a conglomerate with a huge range of products and companies like Ride? under them.

Their boots fit some people?
Old 07-20-2012, 01:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Are you fucking dense or just ignorant?
Old 07-20-2012, 01:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned!

If its at me, ignorant, I was leaving the door open for you to clear the air, guy

edit: I do have a beef with them but its not a big deal I have duct tape, matchsticks and random sprockets holding my bindings together, I'm not trying to queef about it in every post, hell I guess I'm over it I'll even unsig it.

OP pretty sure they got some hammer droppers up in their team bro, Google, ftw.

Last edited by snowklinger; 07-20-2012 at 01:28 AM.
snowklinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:47 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonAvenger View Post
Are you fucking dense or just ignorant?
yo are you the angry snowboarder?
if so sick dude good site
but dude tell me one reason why I'm gonna buy a k2 board over a burton, rome or even a freakin' forum. I just have not seen one reason why their products are effin' everywhere, its just annoying.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:49 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowklinger View Post
If its at me, ignorant, I was leaving the door open for you to clear the air, guy

edit: I do have a beef with them but its not a big deal I have duct tape, matchsticks and random sprockets holding my bindings together, I'm not trying to queef about it in every post, hell I guess I'm over it I'll even unsig it.

OP pretty sure they got some hammer droppers up in their team bro, Google, ftw.
hahahahaha ^^^

and yeah true, but idk how any of those guys cut it close to say burtons team etc...
Old 07-20-2012, 02:41 AM   #7 (permalink)

I've rode k2 for the last 10 years and really like there products. They have good tech for the value and I have never had one of there boards just shit out on me. I didn't do much research back in the day, just picked up a board at the end of the season for $175 and I liked it so much I've been riding them ever sense. Sure there a big corporation like Burton that stamps some boards out in china but there generally cheaper for the same tech that a similar Burton board would have. I have a 10/11 fastplant now and it has a 5 year warranty (complete core breakage; i.e. snapped in half) but only a 1 year on everything else. Its pretty forgiving to, you almost have to try and catch an edge.

I hit a jump weird in the trees this year at Arapahoe Basin and it flung me straight towards a tree! Well I bailed out (flopped around) in mid air and the board took the whole force of the nose on the tree (saving me). After it happened I just sat there thanking god to be safe and scared to look down at my bored because I knew it would be cracked or fucked up in some way. Well to my surprise it didn't have one scratch or crack on it! (maybe 1 1/2" micro scruff). Yeh I probably got lucky but meh, works for me.

Sorta off topic from k2 but along the lines of durability. I had another board that I'm not going to name the maker just incase I got a freak lemon, but I got a slight gouge on the bottom from rocks. When I went to ptex it, only one or two drops hit and the base started to split apart where the die cut met and I had to end up base welding it instead >.< Well that board was a msrp $500 board and so is the fastplant and I've never had issues like that with a k2.

Long story short I got a board with Bamboo, honeycombed aluminum core, carbon stringers, jib rocker, sintered base and hyper progressive sidecut for $275 new. Maybe with the exception of the heritage I just picked up and haven't rode the k2 is by far my favorite board for ALL-mountain. K2's aren't the best for any one area but they seem to do pretty well all over without having to go switch out boards. I also like there boots but there bindings are garbage imo.

P.s. If you have awesome team riders your going to pay for them and that money comes from somewhere (your pocket not theirs, which means higher markup)

Here's a video of the fastplant 10/11: http://youtu.be/3wm0NgC40l8 The 11/12's are noodles compared to the 10/11 though

Last edited by budderbear; 07-20-2012 at 02:52 AM.
budderbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:57 AM   #8 (permalink)

Well as far as pros, that's more about pay vs quality of product. Sponsors pay pros to ride their boards. To be fair, many of these pros could still perform almost as well on an inferior board.
K2 does have some quality boards. There are several magazines that have selected some of their boards for awards. Certainly not all their boards are top notch but not all of them are sub par either. I rode a K2 darkstar several years back and it was a great board back then and though I prefer GNU and Libtech Boards now, i wouldnt shun a K2 board out of hand because of the name. Im sure they still have some good rides out there.
Neilyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:51 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

No I don't own Angrysnowboarder.com but I know the guy he's a real fucking douche.

Kling I know you're dense and ignorant that's just something that comes with living in Colorado.

Pro riders are a tattoo for a brand that's it. You have a tattoo, I have a tattoo, they have a tattoo that's it cool we have a tattoo, that's about it. Pro's don't sell boards anymore hence why there are almost no more promodels. K2's team has a lot of sick riders but they look for well rounded not flash in the pan here for 2 seasons and gone.

As far as buying a K2 why wouldn't you? What makes Burton, Rome, or Forum any better? I've ridden thousands of boards over the course of my life. K2 has a ton of first with board, boot, and binding construction. Ride what you like and keep an open mind.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:03 AM   #10 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

K2 Snowboards have plain and simple good solid products. I loved my Turbo Dream. Their Raygun is a great beginner board or one for more mellow riders. I'd readily recommend the Raygun over ANY other beginner board out there.

I'd like to know how is it that K2 annoys you for its presence in the market, but Burton doesn't. That makes no sense to me whatsoever.