Just bought my first snowboard...I know I'm going backwards, but boots and bindings? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2012, 04:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Just bought my first snowboard...I know I'm going backwards, but boots and bindings?

After much consideration, I just bought a 2013 Proto CT. I know some say I might've gone overboard (no pun intended), but I got plenty of people on this forum saying to for it and now that I have I'm stoked. Now I need boots and bindings, and since it's summer I realize I have some time but my birthday is in September so I figured that I should probably get an idea by then. I'm 15, and 150 lbs and I got a 154. Some have suggested Rome 390 bosses and from what I know, most people love theirs but i was wondering if there are any objections.I am also going to try on some boots in a local shop so should I keep my eye out for anything in particular? Also, I got the proto from buysnow.com who is currently selling 2013 for $540 (and free shipping).
Daggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2012, 04:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

Bindings: Flux TT30, Forum Shaka, Burton Malavita or Rome 390 Boss. There are a few threads in the bindings forum with exactly your question. You should check that out.

Boots: Don't listen to boot suggestions. Go try as many of them on at a local store. Every boot fits differently and it's the most important part of your gear. Disregard brand or price. A perfectly fitting boot is essential and everybody has different foot shapes.
Basti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned!

I used K2 Uprises on mine last year, which were a good fit except they fell apart and k2 doesnt support their products . Looking to go with Burton Cartels next year.
Raiden Phantoms or Blackhawks have been suggested for this board as well.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowklinger View Post
I used K2 Uprises on mine last year, which were a good fit except they fell apart and k2 doesnt support their products . Looking to go with Burton Cartels next year.
Raiden Phantoms or Blackhawks have been suggested for this board as well.
Was on Malavita's and Blackhawks this past season. And k2 uprise. I used to like the uprises but they don't fit my new boots that well and have sucked since. I keep them around for emergency.

Looking at either Phantoms/Cartels/Malavitas for this year, in that order. For a westmark and possibly a Cobra. Those two burtons plus raiden = quality product. They just feel solid compared to the bindings I've had/used.

Looks like Buysnow does have their prices up. $560 for the Cobra ouch
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'm sorry foR duplicating a post but was in a sort of a rush and the thought to use the search function completely escaped my mind. Yea you guys have basically just reiterated what I've already known. I forgot about Flux, I'll check them out to. I have a feeling that I'll probably just go with what looks best with my board when it comes down to flux vs Rome. And which is in stock at the time. Thanks a lot... My only regret is that I couldn't have found a new 2012 as I like the graphics much better... Oh well though, I'm sure it'll look better in person and in the end, graphics have 0% to do with anything that matters. Thanks again.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

And originally I thought I would be Preordering though buysnow but it turns out they actually have '13 NS models in stock and ready to ship. Which I think is great if you want to beat the rush when everyone goes to buy them in the winter.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daggs View Post
Some have suggested Rome 390 bosses and from what I know, most people love theirs but i was wondering if there are any objections.
The 2012 390 boss toe strap is a bit wonky, I had to do a lot of fiddling with mine to get it to grip even remotely well. This has supposedly been fixed with the 2013 version, so if you're set on the 390 boss (I'd call it a great mid-soft binding for freestyle/intermediate all mountain, not so great for gnarly freeriding) I'd hold out for the 2013.
Irahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:18 AM   #8 (permalink)

If you don't need canted footbeds and not the most cushioning, Flux is your best bet. They are crazy light, well made, super comfy, customizable and have probably the best ratchets in the game. Best bindings I've ridden, ever. If I didn't need canting for my fucked-up knees I'd never use anything else but Flux.
Basti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:26 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Daggs, for the boots your right go try a bunch on.
Just my families experience:
We all switched to BOA's last year. My oldest boy didn't like them at all. Not sure why really but he preferred the traditional lace. My other boy loves his. I have the same pair as him but I was disappointed in my K2 BOA I need to keep tightening all day as they constantly loosen on me. I talked to a few people and they had this issue as well, gets frustrating. Again just my families experience, jut wanted to through it out so you can make a good choice.