DC Vs. Rome Vs. YES Vs. Nitro - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2012, 08:30 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default DC Vs. Rome Vs. YES Vs. Nitro

Ok folks, I'm in the market for a new board this year and I'm polling the masses for opinions/reviews.

Disclaimer: (I only would like input from people who have 1st hand experience with one of the boards. Not looking for the peanut gallery to chime in saying "Rome sucks b/c the board graffix are lame". That has nothing to do with the funcationality of a board and helps me none.)

Now that is out of the way. Here is my riding style and what im looking to do....

I live on the east coast but do take trips out west. I'd say i ride groomers 75% of the time and park 25%. I'll ride the trees and powder when im out west or if im at a resort in the north east and conditions allow. I mostly am buttering around, hitting natural features and laying it over on a rail. Just good all around shredding.

So that said, obviously im looking for an all mountain board. And since im riding groomers and carving mostly, i want camber of a form of hybrid for stability purposes. But also want the ability to have some float for the pow.

The boards i am considering are as follows:

DC MLF

Rome Crail
Rome Agent

YES Basic (camrock or camber) either is fine.

Nitro Team (gullwing)

I've heard great things about all those boards from transworld snow to general public. I know all have great build quality.

Let me know your thoughts.
underoath is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2012, 10:05 AM   #2 (permalink)

I'm surprised no one has any opinions.

After doing a bit more research im kinda feeling like the DC MLF and the YES Basic are "can't go wrong" type boards that will handle everything. Then Rome is just solid.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:16 AM   #3 (permalink)

I can speak to the Rome Agent. I rode the 2009 Agent for the past three seasons and LOVED it. (It even got stolen from me for half a season and the police found the guy who stole it and I got my board back. It can has gud karmas no?)

Haha, but in all seriousness the Agent rips. I ride northeast as well and it holds up really well in all conditions. I ride pretty aggressively and the thing can hold an edge very well. I only found it to get a bit chattery on the really really bulletproof conditions but thats to be expected as its a mid-flex board (sits around a 6 or so, 10 being very stiff, 1 being buttery).

I ride about 50-60% park, and I could do everything in the park with it. Jibs, tables, pipe, you name it. It can handle powder decently - I never set my stance back but I bet if you did it would ride as well as anything on a powdery VT day. Then again, I bought it knowing that I wouldn't really be riding much powder as an east coast rider.

I like Rome a lot. A friend of mine rides the Postermania and loves it - maybe something else to look into as well.

Good luck, hope this helped.
sheepstealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:42 AM   #4 (permalink)

appreciated
Old 08-03-2012, 11:55 AM   #5 (permalink)

I cant speak to that specific YES board, but I have a Nidecker Megalight (Nidecker is the parent and or partner company to YES)

The megalight has the camrock profile with the ultimate grip sidecut. It is the funnest board I have ever ridden. It has a very directional tapered shape, so it isn't really meant for freestyle. The edgehold is insane. On good snow days I was able to consistently touch my knees on toeside carved turns on steeper pitches. It is easy to carve a full circle back uphill on flatter areas.

Anyway the YES great women of history board (or great boobs) have that same technology in a twin tip. I would highly recommend the ultimate grip edge. The camrock profile is nice too. The board has a traditional camber feel, but the profile makes it ride/feel like a shorter board.
WVrider84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

good stuff. Since it feels like it rides like a shorter board, would you say you need to size up a tad, or you can still ride your normal length? Probably just preference at that point really, so probably a mute point but....
Old 08-03-2012, 01:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

Its hard to say... I would look more at the weight range. Since you are more into carving a little more edge (that comes along with a longer board) wouldn't hurt. Just make sure you aren't on the bottom end of the recommend weight range.

My Megalight is the 163 and I normally ride a 155 twin tip.
WVrider84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

I can't comment on those boards but I have the Rome agent with rocker and it handles all mountain excellently I like the rocker for when I do park but since you're mainly carving doing groomers it's probably better without the rocker. The other boards may be better for you but I have not ridden those.
Steez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The YES is blah. The Crail is a budget ride. The Agent Rocker was a decent board but not my favorite. The MLF is a beefed build full camber deck, not many people are gonna like it. The Team Gullwing is a super rad board and you would love it. Get that.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634

Last edited by Nivek; 08-03-2012 at 02:36 PM.
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote