New Board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2012, 10:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default New Board

It seems these are never ending threads. I'm in the market for a new board, as I feel I am ready to upgrade from my 2010 Salomon Ace. That's my first board, and I'm looking for something lighter and with more pop - more of a freestyle board. I'm 5'9" and 150lbs. I've been riding for a few years, and have been out west to CO (Breck several times & Keystone). I'm looking for a lightweight board that can handle aggressive carves and has good/great pop and can handle pow on the off chance I'll get the opportunity. I'm currently looking at (in no particular order):

K2 Turbo Dream
K2 Slayblade
Lib Tech Attack Banana
Rome Mod Rocker
GNU Dirty Pillow

Here's the caveat - I ride regular, but my left (front) leg isn't as strong as my right leg, due to a car accident years ago. I only mention that, because I think that affects my ability to ollie/jump so I would really prefer a board with good pop. I'm a fairly aggressive rider, more of a speed person than a trick rider, but I want to strengthen my jumping ability. Nothing crazy though. Any comments on the above boards or new suggestions?
gunner252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2012, 11:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

General pop from most to least:
1. Traditional camber
2. Flat
3. Hybrid Camber
4. Rocker

That being said pop in any one of these designs can be augmented with carbon, wood, metal and construction techniques. All of these designs will also offer dead boards and poppy ones. Personally I'd buy a board with the camber shape that best suits the type of riding you want to do.
bseracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by bseracka View Post
General pop from most to least:
1. Traditional camber
2. Flat
3. Hybrid Camber
4. Rocker

That being said pop in any one of these designs can be augmented with carbon, wood, metal and construction techniques. All of these designs will also offer dead boards and poppy ones. Personally I'd buy a board with the camber shape that best suits the type of riding you want to do.
Got it, thanks!
Old 08-02-2012, 08:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Mod Rocker hands down your best option in your list. And many other lists as well. If you can afford it its a solid do everything board. Maybe a little much on jibs, but still doable with some muscle.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I second the Mod Rocker. Even the Mod if anyone had it. Though it's really stiff, it's supposed to mellow out once you break it in but still has the pop from the rods. If you're not a dominate jump and freeride guy then I would go with rocker. Think I just bought the last Mod positive camber around a few days ago that's a reasonable size.
ThunderChunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

Ever think about the gnu park pickle? I think that is one kick-ass freestyle board with loads of pop and jibbing ability, but still can hold pretty well on the rest of the mountain...maybe they should rename it to the mountain mango i didnt think of that one, but I'd like to imagine I was only a second away. I have heard about the mod rocker, and that it has an okay pop. Hope this post did not annoy you. Happy Riding.
gimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
Mod Rocker hands down your best option in your list. And many other lists as well. If you can afford it its a solid do everything board. Maybe a little much on jibs, but still doable with some muscle.
I was kind of thinking that too. From what I've read/seen on reviews, everyone talks about how much pop it has & how well it does in pow & carving. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderChunky View Post
I second the Mod Rocker. Even the Mod if anyone had it. Though it's really stiff, it's supposed to mellow out once you break it in but still has the pop from the rods. If you're not a dominate jump and freeride guy then I would go with rocker. Think I just bought the last Mod positive camber around a few days ago that's a reasonable size.
Good to know, thanks. One problem, I'm having a hard time finding it anywhere online. Maybe it'll start showing up in a month or so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimmy View Post
Ever think about the gnu park pickle? I think that is one kick-ass freestyle board with loads of pop and jibbing ability, but still can hold pretty well on the rest of the mountain...maybe they should rename it to the mountain mango i didnt think of that one, but I'd like to imagine I was only a second away. I have heard about the mod rocker, and that it has an okay pop. Hope this post did not annoy you. Happy Riding.
I looked at the Park Pickle for a minute, but it seems like it's geared more towards 'park' riding. That's my only hesitancy.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner252 View Post
[SNIP]
I looked at the Park Pickle for a minute, but it seems like it's geared more towards 'park' riding. That's my only hesitancy.
That is a common misperception. In fact, I believe they are dropping the 'Park' from the name this season exactly because of that.
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner252 View Post
I was kind of thinking that too. From what I've read/seen on reviews, everyone talks about how much pop it has & how well it does in pow & carving. Thanks!

Good to know, thanks. One problem, I'm having a hard time finding it anywhere online. Maybe it'll start showing up in a month or so.

You're not gonna be able to find it. I was talking about the 12 model and it's sold out everywhere. If you manage to find it though. Sounds like you if you can handle the posi caber.
ThunderChunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hktrdr View Post
That is a common misperception. In fact, I believe they are dropping the 'Park' from the name this season exactly because of that.
It just seemed to be too buttery, not stiff enough, but I could be wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderChunky View Post
You're not gonna be able to find it. I was talking about the 12 model and it's sold out everywhere. If you manage to find it though. Sounds like you if you can handle the posi caber.
I've found the 2013 for sale online, just cant find much info on the 2013 model (i.e. what, if anything, is different between the 2012 & 2013 model? typically not a lot, but it sounds like in the mod rocker case there have been a few technological advances from the 2012 model). I DO like the graphics on the 2012 model more than the 2013 model.

Last edited by gunner252; 08-03-2012 at 03:12 PM.