Shopping list for first board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2012, 07:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Shopping list for first board

Hi Guys,

Just last week returned from my first snowboarding trip to NZ.. And I can safely say it'll be the first of many! First time snowboarder and I thought I picked it up fairly well. Planning my next trip to Japan for early next year.

I done quite a bit of reading over the last few day and come up with the following list for my first board etc... Thought I'd throw it up here and get everyone's opinion...

First off I'll give my details.

Weight: ~76kg (167)
Boot size: 9 US
Riding style: Mainly mountain atm but as I improve would like to get into park more.
Budget: ~$500 Aussie dollars
Location of riding: Will be Japan, NZ, Australia and eventually Canada hopefully.

The list I've put together is.

Nitro Swindle 155
Burton 2011 Custom EST binding M
Burton Moto boots US9

What does everyone think of my selection??? Don't be shy I want to make sure I've made a good choice!

Thanks all!

Michael
Mikal52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2012, 07:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I can't speak about the boots and board, but I rode some Burton customs last year (my first year as well) on a Burton Clash and i really liked them. They were pretty responsive for the lower end bindings that Burton offers, and I had zero issues with wear or tear. I would definitely recommend them.
backstop13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

By the way, the EST bindings from burton only work with their channel system. You need to get the non-EST ones to work with that board.
nEBUz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nEBUz View Post
By the way, the EST bindings from burton only work with their channel system. You need to get the non-EST ones to work with that board.
Oh right... Thanks heaps!
Old 08-02-2012, 08:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
glm

Quote:
Originally Posted by backstop13 View Post
I can't speak about the boots and board, but I rode some Burton customs last year (my first year as well) on a Burton Clash and i really liked them. They were pretty responsive for the lower end bindings that Burton offers, and I had zero issues with wear or tear. I would definitely recommend them.
I disagree with this a little. Don't have anything against the brand except experience, but when I was choosing my first pair of bindings not bought for me, I blindly went for the only brand I recognized (and admittedly cheapest) which happened to be Burton (Customs). I have not had the best experience with them, as they quickly wear not only cosmetically, but also the ratchets on the 2011's did not work well for me, as they slipped ground the ladder even under only mild pressure. Of course, cosmetics and the speed to get a good fit on your boot don't matter when you've gotten going, but just saying for me it wasn't all unicorns and sunshine.
glm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

the customs are the only bindings I have ridden so i don't have anything to compare them to. I do know what you're talking about, but I always just assumed that was just how bindings were.

I only had trouble ratcheting them when they had snow on them, but as far as riding and comfort, I really liked the footbed and the comfort of the ride they gave me.
backstop13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Buy the boots that fit you best and are what you want. Then buy your board. I would suggest a positive camber board. But most anyone else would suggest a rocker. I'd say a middle of the road stiffness for the board. Tons of boards like this. Then get the bindings that fit your boot the best and you like the most. Fitting is really the most important part of getting everything besides the board. Unless you're getting like a 161 and you're a 5 foot 100 ilbs.
ThunderChunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Burton Customs are perfectly fine bindings for most riders, certainly for beginners and intermediate riders.
They are comfortable enough and very lightweight. Not very stiff, but responsive enough for Shaun White to reportedly ride them (at least occasionally).
However, they are not very adjustable (e.g., heel loop). In my personal experience the ladder straps wore down a bit, but I crank my bindings hard and the straps were still usable after a full season - plus Burton will just give you new ones when you wear them out.
For sizing, I found them to run a little small - the medium ones were a tight fit with my size 10 Vans Fargo boots.
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:23 AM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for all the feedback, I'll only be getting to the snow for about 2-3 weeks a year unfortunately so the durability shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Does anyone have any feedback on my board of choice so far? The Nitro Swindle... From all reports and reviews it seems like a fairly good board.

Michael
Old 08-03-2012, 02:08 AM   #10 (permalink)
Banned!

Those boots probably fit everyone because they have about as much support as a moccasin. You may not care, but there is probably a few boots out there that will give you a little more support and response without being the stiffest.

Nothing wrong with your choices just know that those boots are like hi-tops after a couple runs. My buddy liked how comfy his were till he broke his ankle in them. In another pair maybe he still breaks his ankle, just saying those things were like really thick socks with rubber soles.