another "help me choose a board" thread - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2012, 03:11 PM   #11 (permalink)

Nivek, the Attack Banana is stiffer than the TRS, Proto, and certainly stiffer than an Era. The Attack Banana was one of the last boards I jumped on this year, and switched out with a Proto, which was definitely more playful and flexier.

The Attack Banana is just a hair under the Lib Tech Jamie Lynn. Just because it has Banana in the name, doesn't mean it folds in half like the Skate Banana.

Haven't ridden a Magic yet, but flexed both in a shop (which sometimes never tells the story), and the Attack was stiffer.

Just checked the website to confirm my feeling.

If you look at the 156, and start to compare to others, they rate the Attack Banana at a 6.5, Jamie Lynn at a 6.5, Banana Magic at a 6, and TRS at a 6.

Now, all that shit goes out the window, because based on flex from least to greatest:

Skate Banana - TRS - Banana Magic - Attack Banana - Jamie Lynn - Travis Rice - Dark Series

Either way, riding the Attack Banana, it was stiffer than a Forum Double Dog Destroyer, Arbor Coda, Never Summer Proto, etc etc. I found it very similar to a Never Summer SL, yet a true twin instead.

Bottom line, I'd call it a past the middle of the road stiffness all mountain board.

BTW, based on the original posters description, I'd lean toward the TRS out of the Lib Line, Proto out of NS (maybe even Evo). 60% park with jibbing included? TRS would be a really good fit. Smokin Superpark was a better version of the TRS to me.

I'm almost the same stats as the original poster. Grab the 56 TRS / 55 Smokin Superpark / 55 Proto. You don't need a 58 at your weight, especially if you want to be more in the park than on the mountain.

Last edited by Nolefan2011; 08-03-2012 at 03:25 PM.
Nolefan2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2012, 03:30 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepstealer View Post
Haven't had a chance yet to look at those other recommendations )thank you for listing, btw). The only reason I'm focused on the attack banana is bc I had a chance to look through its specs last night.

And I'm worried about stiffness bc of where I ride. South central NH does not get a lot of soft snow.

My board I rode last season was a Rome Agent 158. I liked it a lot but I want to try something different.

Let me take a gander at those recs and I'll see if I have any questions...
Giving you the benefit of the doubt here, but you should really drop some of your preconceived notions and start listening to people's advice and looking at the facts.

For starters (and as already pointed out to you):
  1. The NS boards mentioned are not really more expensive than the Attack Banana. For instance, it is relative easy to find an Evo for $3xx.
  2. You do not need something stiffer than a Proto or Era for the described purpose. Even an Evo will probably do.
  3. Attack Banana is patently the wrong board for the described riding (esp. 60% park).
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:41 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan2011 View Post
Nivek, the Attack Banana is stiffer than the TRS, Proto, and certainly stiffer than an Era. The Attack Banana was one of the last boards I jumped on this year, and switched out with a Proto, which was definitely more playful and flexier.

The Attack Banana is just a hair under the Lib Tech Jamie Lynn. Just because it has Banana in the name, doesn't mean it folds in half like the Skate Banana.

Haven't ridden a Magic yet, but flexed both in a shop (which sometimes never tells the story), and the Attack was stiffer.

Just checked the website to confirm my feeling.

If you look at the 156, and start to compare to others, they rate the Attack Banana at a 6.5, Jamie Lynn at a 6.5, Banana Magic at a 6, and TRS at a 6.

Now, all that shit goes out the window, because based on flex from least to greatest:

Skate Banana - TRS - Banana Magic - Attack Banana - Jamie Lynn - Travis Rice - Dark Series

Either way, riding the Attack Banana, it was stiffer than a Forum Double Dog Destroyer, Arbor Coda, Never Summer Proto, etc etc. I found it very similar to a Never Summer SL, yet a true twin instead.

Bottom line, I'd call it a past the middle of the road stiffness all mountain board.

BTW, based on the original posters description, I'd lean toward the TRS out of the Lib Line, Proto out of NS (maybe even Evo). 60% park with jibbing included? TRS would be a really good fit. Smokin Superpark was a better version of the TRS to me.

I'm almost the same stats as the original poster. Grab the 56 TRS / 55 Smokin Superpark / 55 Proto. You don't need a 58 at your weight, especially if you want to be more in the park than on the mountain.
Mostly agree with the conclusion.

But your facts are wrong on the stiffness - Attack Banana is not really significantly stiffer than the Magic.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:47 PM   #14 (permalink)

I didn't say significantly. In fact, Lib's own literature calls them close to the same flex. I'd say slightly stiffer, but again, that was flexing in a shop. Magic is the only board I haven't ridden.
Nolefan2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:33 PM   #15 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Of anyone I am vastly aware that hand pushes don't say much, but I sold Attacks when they were first released in late 10/11 season. I'm also aware that a board can, especially with RC, ride stiffer than it feels in store. That said, in store the LE's felt softer than a regular Banana. So that's why I was claiming similar to an Era. They must have stiffened it up a lot for full production.

With this new info, the Attack is just the wrong board for you. It's geared towards a high caliber no park freestyle rider.

I stand by all my other recommendations.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:39 PM   #16 (permalink)

Yes, you guys are right. After looking into it more the AB is not right for me.

Yes, I do have preconceived notions about equipment. Yes, I was listening. Apologies if I didn't seem to - part of me was trying to play devils advocate I suppose.

Regardless, I appreciate the recommendations. I went into a shop yesterday and the guy was very helpful - he hadn't ridden all the boards I had on my list (Proto, Evo, Banana Magic, Buckwild, Rome Reverb, and a few others) but he had some good things to say about the Neversummer (obviously) and Lib Techs. He put the Banana Magic on my radar as well as the Rome Mod.

Decision making time now! Thanks again!
sheepstealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:48 AM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Yes, you guys are right. After looking into it more the AB is not right for me.

Yes, I do have preconceived notions about equipment. Yes, I was listening. Apologies if I didn't seem to - part of me was trying to play devils advocate I suppose.

Regardless, I appreciate the recommendations. I went into a shop yesterday and the guy was very helpful - he hadn't ridden all the boards I had on my list (Proto, Evo, Banana Magic, Buckwild, Rome Reverb, and a few others) but he had some good things to say about the Neversummer (obviously) and Lib Techs. He put the Banana Magic on my radar as well as the Rome Mod.

Decision making time now! Thanks again!
You either have a hard-on for the high-end Lib-Tech boards or the salesperson is giving you serious advice: Banana Magic is another great board that is pretty much unsuitable for the riding that you described...
Old 08-07-2012, 10:36 AM   #18 (permalink)

Geeze man, give it a rest. No disrespect, but you're awfully confrontational across these forums.

I ride 60% park, yes. The other 40% or so is all-mountain. I'm looking for a park oriented board that can hold its own if I'm charging. I've been riding for many years. I can make a board work the way I want it to. I'll give it to you, I don't know a ton about the tech in boards these days which is why I came here. I've learned a lot too from reading these posts, gotten recommendations, mission accomplished.

Please don't tell me what is or is not unsuitable for me. You do not know me. I did my best to describe my riding style but at the end of the day all I really wanted is a discussion and a few recommendations.
sheepstealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:15 AM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Geeze man, give it a rest. No disrespect, but you're awfully confrontational across these forums.

I ride 60% park, yes. The other 40% or so is all-mountain. I'm looking for a park oriented board that can hold its own if I'm charging. I've been riding for many years. I can make a board work the way I want it to. I'll give it to you, I don't know a ton about the tech in boards these days which is why I came here. I've learned a lot too from reading these posts, gotten recommendations, mission accomplished.

Please don't tell me what is or is not unsuitable for me. You do not know me. I did my best to describe my riding style but at the end of the day all I really wanted is a discussion and a few recommendations.
Who is being confrontational? You came here asking for advice and discussion - and that it is exactly what you got.
I never claimed to tell you what board was suitable for you. What I did was provide the feedback that you were asking for, commenting on some of the boards you mentioned considering the riding profile that you described. Fact is for 60% park and 40% all-mountain bombing neither the Attack Banana nor the Banana Magic are particularly suitable. They are both great decks, but generally too stiff for park and the Magic is more of a powder slayer than an all-mountain bombing board.
No confrontation, just honest advice. Up to you what you do with it...

Last edited by hktrdr; 08-07-2012 at 11:20 AM.