another "help me choose a board" thread - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2012, 07:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default another "help me choose a board" thread

So I've been rolling a few boards around in my head over the past few days, and I can't seem to decide.

I'm 5'10", 170 lbs. Size 9.5 boot. I ride about 60% park (jibbing included), the other 40% is mostly bombing around the mountain with a little pipe mixed in. Basically, I ride it all but mostly stick to park.. I need something that can handle it all but isn't too soft as I do tend to get real fast. I consider myself an advanced rider.

What I'm looking at:

Lib Tech Attack Banana
Ride Buckwild
NS Proto (but its a bit out of my price range)
NS Evo (price a bit much as well, still a possible)

I was originally set on the buckwild but I'm not getting the sense it would be as playful as the banana. I love to jib and the buckwild, for all its good reviews I dunno if I would be able to press as well. The super flat base also makes me worried, not sure I could get the play out of it I want.

I've been digging the attack banana lately but am curious to its flex. I also do not have much experience on a heavily rockered board. I've rode mostly cambered.

I know the least about the proto and the evo, just that the proto is more all-mountain and the evo is freestyle oriented. I have seen all the hype for these two boards on the forums but I haven't researched them as much as the AB and buckwild. Can the evo hold and edge well and handle high speeds?

Thanks for your help.
sheepstealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2012, 08:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

I have the Evo. For your setup, I would really recommend the Proto because it is just so much more versatile than the Evo. While the Evo is mostly focused on park, the Proto performs extremely well both inside and outside the park, and i think it's lighter than the Evo thanks to the sexy carbonium topsheet. The safe bet would be to go with the Proto, but the Evo is a good choice too. I haven't ridden the other boards, sorry. lol. A lot of the people on this forum reaaally favor the NS boards, so that's probably the direction most people will push you.
ilikecoupons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

How is the Evo almost out of your price range and the Attack Banana, which retails for I think $100 more, is fine? Secondly, are we looking for 2012 or is this all 2013? I prefer to jib zero camber over anything else. Don't be lazy and think you cant jib or butter flat/camber.

2012: Evo of your four options but there are still better. Look for an Arbor Blacklist or Westmark, Flow Shifty or Era, Rome Reverb Rocker, Bataleon FunKink, or a Nitro Rook.

2013: All those listed above, and add the Yes Great Dudes, Signal OG Flat, Endeavour Live, Echelon Franken, or a Salomon Villain. In fact hopefully in the next week or two angrysnowboarder.com will have his top picks up, and you will be happy with anything he'll tell you does everything well. I promise you that.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
How is the Evo almost out of your price range and the Attack Banana, which retails for I think $100 more, is fine?
I was wondering about that, too. But does not really matter, as for the stated riding the Attack Banana is the least suitable board on that list anyway...
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

I think the Evo is like 510, and the Attack Banana is like 560.

Like Nivek said, there are still some great deals on the Westmark, and 2012 is the last year to get a sintered base. Do it, do it.
Nolefan2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:27 AM   #6 (permalink)

Good catch...I guess I never really glanced at the AB's price and just assumed it was cheaper than the NS (which are generally more $$ anyways right?).

Cost isn't a huge issue but I would like to keep it less expensive if I can. I am more looking towards 2012 boards. At this point I think I've chopped off the Evo. I think it would be too soft for my kind of riding.

Right now the Buckwild (for its price) and the AB (for its performance) are tied for first.

If a 2012 AB landed in my lap I'd scoop it up in a second - I'm finding squat for this thing across all the major online retailers though...
Old 08-03-2012, 10:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I'd ride an Era before an Attack Banana and you could get a 2013 Era for th same price as an on sale Attack. It's a vastly overpriced board.

Also, buy my things?
Old 08-03-2012, 11:29 AM   #8 (permalink)

A Lib Tech Era? Is it a similar board to the AB?

edit: looks like its Flow

edit 2: just looked at the Flow Era. Too soft for me. I def need something a bit stiffer.

Last edited by sheepstealer; 08-03-2012 at 11:35 AM. Reason: edit: looks like its Flow
Old 08-03-2012, 12:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Who's telling you the Era isn't stiff enough for 60% park? Angrysnowboarder.com has a review of it , read that. And if you're worried about the Era not being stiff enough the Attack isn't going to be either. They're pretty similar.

Did you take a look at any of my other recommendations?

At this point I'm inclined to think you aren't actually asking for opinions because you've already decided on the Attack and you are just asking for our approval.

Also, buy my things?
Old 08-03-2012, 01:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

Haven't had a chance yet to look at those other recommendations )thank you for listing, btw). The only reason I'm focused on the attack banana is bc I had a chance to look through its specs last night.

And I'm worried about stiffness bc of where I ride. South central NH does not get a lot of soft snow.

My board I rode last season was a Rome Agent 158. I liked it a lot but I want to try something different.

Let me take a gander at those recs and I'll see if I have any questions...