Big Mountain board for hiking around kicking horse and blackcomb type terrain - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2012, 11:37 AM   #11 (permalink)

The Rossi is an amazing board. You should definitely check it out.

Personally, I ride the YES Pick your Line for the conditions you mentioned and I really love this board a lot. Charges really hard everywhere and still feels playful. The tapered nose and profile float like a dream in pow.
Basti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2012, 01:22 PM   #12 (permalink)

Hadn't heard of the Experience but as soon as I saw the graphic I immediately recognized it as Xaviers. Don't know why I never looked up what he rides.

The Experience also has magnetraction, which I like and the Highlife/Zerker don't have an equivalent to.

I'll keep doing more reading about the experience, I'm interested in but am intimidated that it is a 10/10 on Rossignols stiffness scale. I want to make sure the board isn't a total tank to navigate dense trees when not charging.

I'll do some more reading about the Jam too.
Penzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:25 PM   #13 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Sanchez View Post
Take a good look at the Rossignol Experience 159 or 163. The Highlife's camber is so minimal that it's almost non-exsistant. The Experience has some actual, noticable camber, plus the kicked tip & tails. It's plenty stiff & damp, has magnetraction so it can deal with just about any kind of icey conditions. Smaller effective edge makes it ride a little shorter than it would seem, crazy fast base.

The thing is just a rocket ship, I love mine. If in the market for a true big mountain board, this is it.
I got to demo a Rossi Jibsaw & it was awesome.

Rossi has got their shit together, try & demo one if you can.

I'm pretty sure that's what Xavier De Le Rue is riding in this video, & I don't think it gets much more big mountain than this?

https://vimeo.com/31572650

TT

Then I am so close to immortality
timmytard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:27 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basti View Post
The Rossi is an amazing board. You should definitely check it out.

Personally, I ride the YES Pick your Line for the conditions you mentioned and I really love this board a lot. Charges really hard everywhere and still feels playful. The tapered nose and profile float like a dream in pow.
Compared to the local mountains in Van, we noticed a lot more Yes, Arbor and Never Summers in Kicking Horse and Revvy, and thats what originally got me interested in Yes.

I hear more good than bad in the reviews I read, but it's still a newer brand so it doesn't have as much to go off. I've talked with people who ride the great dudes and love it, but never met anyone with the PYL.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:49 PM   #15 (permalink)

Everyone seems to agree the Flagship is too harsh of a ride.

Becoming more and more interested in the Experience. It clearly means business, but can it still be a bit playful?

That puts the list at:

-Rossignol Experience Magtek
-Ride Berzerker/Highlife UL
-Prior Khyber
-Yes Pick Your Line
-Neversummer Raptor
Old 08-07-2012, 02:31 PM   #16 (permalink)
Veteran Member

When it comes to Xaviers riding magne does make sense. But with th stiffness of boards you're lolling at you'll get plenty good edgehold without any special "edge tech". Magne creates drag too. Doesn't effect Xavier cause the terrain he rides is steep enough to make the drag negligible.

I wouldn't throw out the Solitude. It's Mike Basitch's board of choice and you rarely even see Lago jump it in the BC. Only when he's hitting the gnarlier stuff does he put away his Quantum. It's a manly board.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634

Last edited by Nivek; 08-07-2012 at 02:34 PM.
Nivek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:32 PM   #17 (permalink)

Neil Provo also rides the experience, I love the videos him and his brother make Rossignol Experience Snowboard 2010/2011 -Neil Provo P.O.V. on Vimeo

My current thinking is that the one area my gnu doesn't suffer whatsoever is tree riding, its great for navigating in dense lower speed trees.

Even if the Experience is too stiff for dense trees, it should still be able to get through sparse trees, and I can use my gnu if we're planning on spending a lot of time in the trees.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:52 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
When it comes to Xaviers riding magne does make sense. But with th stiffness of boards you're lolling at you'll get plenty good edgehold without any special "edge tech". Magne creates drag too. Doesn't effect Xavier cause the terrain he rides is steep enough to make the drag negligible.

I wouldn't throw out the Solitude. It's Mike Basitch's board of choice and you rarely even see Lago jump it in the BC. Only when he's hitting the gnarlier stuff does he put away his Quantum. It's a manly board.

That is a good point, the highlife would be stiff enough to have a solid edge without any edge tech.

I'll do more reading about the Solitude. I wouldn't say it's out completely but I'm also looking for some variety, not just a stiffer better version of what I have now.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:18 PM   #19 (permalink)

My buddy takes his experience out in trees all the time when are freeriding and at a 163(not sure on the size, its 160 something) he does just fine keeping up with me on my 157 Agent Rocker. Really he only brings it out on big pow days and can carry alot of speed with the Experience,

Honestly it sounds like your leaning on the Berzerker, which would be a great choice because of the camber under your feet with rocker at the tip to keep you afloat. plus Jake Blavault rides that board for the same riding you want to do.
HeWhoShreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:56 PM   #20 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I can't say enough about my Salomon Sick Stick. If you're down for a more directional board (sounds like you are) there isn't much better IMO. Super lightweight, great snap, amazing float (especially in the heavy PNW snow), very stable at speed. The best part about it is how playful it is. I sold my Highlife for it (too stiff) and absolutely LOVE it. Still has camber between the bindings to make it good for traversing, and best grip on ice of any pow board out there.
DrnknZag is offline   Reply With Quote