Board Life? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2008, 10:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
thelowerclass

Default Board Life?

How long do you guys usually use a board for? I've only got 2 seasons under my belt, both about 80 times out, and this season was the first time I used/purchased a new board. Most of my friends who go out just as much if not less than me all seem to get new boards yearly (of course payed for by mom and dad) and this seems like a waste to me. It feels as if just at the end of this season I finally broke my board in and I'm sure its similar for them, so even if the option was there why get a new board when you finally got your old one broken in? How many outings do you guys make your boards last?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2008, 10:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

It guys it depends on how you ride and how thrashed the board becomes. People who do freestyle should get more life out of their boards than people who ride park (rails, boxes, etc). Assuming no damage is done to tbe board, there is no reason why it cant last several years. Aside from damage, people get new boards more out of a desire to get something new than out of necessity.
tboooe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 10:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I think some guys here said most boards last ~150 days of riding or so, less if you hit rails. I can't really think of a reason why your board would be in need of replacement unless...well, some of the bananas apparenty lose pop over time. Other than that, can't really think of anything.

Well, that or if you want a board thats completely different...this year (first board) was pretty stiff, so I wanted something more park-ish, like a Mini or stairmaster but found a Gnu RC dirt cheap.
Minger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 11:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Username

My Stairmaster lasted only a season of hard park and urban rail abuse.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:31 AM   #5 (permalink)

Default My general rule of thumb - you get what you pay for

$200 board could last you two seasons if you just started

$300 board should last at least three years

$400 board = 4 yrs.

$5-600 board could last your lifetime.

Like the Gentleman said about the Stairmaster, no board can stand up to blatant abuse. My rule of thumb applies to general riding flex and camber. I'd attribute it to the fiberglass or carbon additives used in typical construction techniques.

Some of my high end boards from the 90's are still being ridden in places like Jackson Hole, and the rippers out there say that the boards still have life!
Old 03-29-2008, 12:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Blend View Post
$200 board could last you two seasons if you just started

$300 board should last at least three years

$400 board = 4 yrs.

$5-600 board could last your lifetime.

Like the Gentleman said about the Stairmaster, no board can stand up to blatant abuse. My rule of thumb applies to general riding flex and camber. I'd attribute it to the fiberglass or carbon additives used in typical construction techniques.

Some of my high end boards from the 90's are still being ridden in places like Jackson Hole, and the rippers out there say that the boards still have life!
I'll assume your price rules apply to MSRP? Just because I'm curious too, are your years for each rule equivalent to X# of days per year? Or does the actual age of the board decrease it's life too? Obviously 1 year of riding could mean very different things-- a half dozen days to the casual rider, 100+ (200+?) to the hardcore/season-pass holder/instructor.
fostpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 03:29 PM   #7 (permalink)

I've got an 03/04 SC Duo thats still going strong. I'm pretty meticulous when it comes to my equiptment so I imagine it will continue to last for quite some time. Of course, it helps that I have a couple of other boards the I tend to alternate out but the better you take care of you equiptment the longer it will last.
SnowHound is offline   Reply With Quote