Burton question. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 949
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Burton question.

I know everyone is wondering, but how good it the channel now? They had it for like 4 years now right? Im just wondering because there is that little secret in the back of my mind and it wants me to try the burton gear. I ride their boots and i think that they are sick. I had customs before and best binding i ever rode.... But im soooo scared.
blunted_nose is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 09:58 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Boston
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The channel is awesome if you are also willing to get est bindings. If you ride with normal disc bindings it wont make much of a difference.
Watervilleshred is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 949
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Deff with EST. Im just scared that it will come undone or loose. The tech wasnt all that great 2 years ago....
blunted_nose is offline  
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 10:43 PM
ETM
Veteran Member
 
ETM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Japan
Posts: 2,424
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Im still riding my 09/10 supermodel with the original M5 ICS. I have had no problems with it and enjoy the stance options available. Never had one come loose, ever.
If you are prepared to use burton bindings then its a great system.
ETM is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 11:31 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,966
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blunted_nose View Post
Deff with EST. Im just scared that it will come undone or loose. The tech wasnt all that great 2 years ago....
Bullshit, the tech was perfectly fine pretty much from the start - and still is. They have made some refinements since the beginning (wider channel, changed hardware, etc.) but those have been pretty incremental - the advantages (awesome flex, ease and range of adjustment) and disadvantages (EST bindings not usable on other boards, the paranoid will sweat about only having two screws) are still exactly the same.
hktrdr is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 12:03 AM
Veteran Member
 
Nivek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mountains of Mordor
Posts: 7,399
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hktrdr View Post
Bullshit, the tech was perfectly fine pretty much from the start - and still is. They have made some refinements since the beginning (wider channel, changed hardware, etc.) but those have been pretty incremental - the advantages (awesome flex, ease and range of adjustment) and disadvantages (EST bindings not usable on other boards, the paranoid will sweat about only having two screws) are still exactly the same.
I have had a nearly catastrophic failure with ICS. BA has too.

Here's the thing. A bolt gets loose on even something like Raiden Mini disc (same number of bolts as ICS) and the binding just jiggles a bit. If just one comes loose on ICS, the whole binding rotates. If this happens off a jump or upon landing, blown knee.

Does checking your shit often help prevent this? Yeah pretty much. Is ICS that much better that I'm willing to risk this over a traditional set up? Nope.

Now, if the board that is best for you just happens to have ICS, then go for it.

Snowboarding Is...

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friends
Nivek is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 949
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
I have had a nearly catastrophic failure with ICS. BA has too.

Here's the thing. A bolt gets loose on even something like Raiden Mini disc (same number of bolts as ICS) and the binding just jiggles a bit. If just one comes loose on ICS, the whole binding rotates. If this happens off a jump or upon landing, blown knee.

Does checking your shit often help prevent this? Yeah pretty much. Is ICS that much better that I'm willing to risk this over a traditional set up? Nope.

Now, if the board that is best for you just happens to have ICS, then go for it.
Honestly that is what im scared of. I honestly dont know what the perfect board is for me but id like to try ics.... I wouldn't even trust the raidens' 2 bolt system... Oh man, Burton is such a marketing scheme and yet i want to ride their boards. Its probably because i saw Mads in Follow Me Around by MDP and it was like the sickest part ever. Plus the ics is a cool idea, its when i think of the Consequence....
blunted_nose is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 12:51 AM
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 510
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blunted_nose View Post
Honestly that is what im scared of. I honestly dont know what the perfect board is for me but id like to try ics.... I wouldn't even trust the raidens' 2 bolt system... Oh man, Burton is such a marketing scheme and yet i want to ride their boards. Its probably because i saw Mads in Follow Me Around by MDP and it was like the sickest part ever. Plus the ics is a cool idea, its when i think of the Consequence....
Channel M5 was fine, but they improved it with the channel M6, stronger hardware, and more binding compatibility. You'll have no problems.

That being said, aside from fucking with my stance a lot (still think I can do better), I don't see a TON of benefits with ICS. It is cool on a pow day though to just knock your bindings back within seconds and get back out there.

Always check your shit before you ride.
phony_stark is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 01:47 AM
Banned!
 
snowklinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: L-Town
Posts: 6,554
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
I'm not a Burton hater by any means but this system is just so stupid for the sake of being stupid and pushing itself out of sheer stubborn idiocy and brutality through the simple power of Burton. Sure I have to use the toolbench sometimes, but I always lol inside when I see someone coming over with some ICS rental on a swivel "does anyone know how to fix this?..."

sCaRy tech.

Support Local Business
"Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!" - Ash
snowklinger is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 02:07 PM
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,606
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Blog Entries: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by blunted_nose View Post
Honestly that is what im scared of. I honestly dont know what the perfect board is for me but id like to try ics.... I wouldn't even trust the raidens' 2 bolt system... Oh man, Burton is such a marketing scheme and yet i want to ride their boards. Its probably because i saw Mads in Follow Me Around by MDP and it was like the sickest part ever. Plus the ics is a cool idea, its when i think of the Consequence....

I have had series of channel boards and EST bindings, never had a problem, use the right size screwdriver to tighten the screws nice and tight. I'll admit I don't change my stance too often on the hill but when i do I make a point of doing it without letting snow get under the binding. I think it's good practice to check your binding screws once in a while regardless of the setup, but I haven't found mine loosen on me. Ideally one would ensure the screws are tight every time they go out but even when I don't bother for a several outings they dont' loosen. I do however travel a bit and have to take bindings off to get multiple board in a bag - ICS is easy for that.
Lamps is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome