Burton question. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2012, 08:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Default Burton question.

I know everyone is wondering, but how good it the channel now? They had it for like 4 years now right? Im just wondering because there is that little secret in the back of my mind and it wants me to try the burton gear. I ride their boots and i think that they are sick. I had customs before and best binding i ever rode.... But im soooo scared.
blunted_nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2012, 08:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

The channel is awesome if you are also willing to get est bindings. If you ride with normal disc bindings it wont make much of a difference.
Watervilleshred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Deff with EST. Im just scared that it will come undone or loose. The tech wasnt all that great 2 years ago....
Old 08-13-2012, 09:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
ETM
Veteran Member

Im still riding my 09/10 supermodel with the original M5 ICS. I have had no problems with it and enjoy the stance options available. Never had one come loose, ever.
If you are prepared to use burton bindings then its a great system.
ETM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blunted_nose View Post
Deff with EST. Im just scared that it will come undone or loose. The tech wasnt all that great 2 years ago....
Bullshit, the tech was perfectly fine pretty much from the start - and still is. They have made some refinements since the beginning (wider channel, changed hardware, etc.) but those have been pretty incremental - the advantages (awesome flex, ease and range of adjustment) and disadvantages (EST bindings not usable on other boards, the paranoid will sweat about only having two screws) are still exactly the same.
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hktrdr View Post
Bullshit, the tech was perfectly fine pretty much from the start - and still is. They have made some refinements since the beginning (wider channel, changed hardware, etc.) but those have been pretty incremental - the advantages (awesome flex, ease and range of adjustment) and disadvantages (EST bindings not usable on other boards, the paranoid will sweat about only having two screws) are still exactly the same.
I have had a nearly catastrophic failure with ICS. BA has too.

Here's the thing. A bolt gets loose on even something like Raiden Mini disc (same number of bolts as ICS) and the binding just jiggles a bit. If just one comes loose on ICS, the whole binding rotates. If this happens off a jump or upon landing, blown knee.

Does checking your shit often help prevent this? Yeah pretty much. Is ICS that much better that I'm willing to risk this over a traditional set up? Nope.

Now, if the board that is best for you just happens to have ICS, then go for it.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
I have had a nearly catastrophic failure with ICS. BA has too.

Here's the thing. A bolt gets loose on even something like Raiden Mini disc (same number of bolts as ICS) and the binding just jiggles a bit. If just one comes loose on ICS, the whole binding rotates. If this happens off a jump or upon landing, blown knee.

Does checking your shit often help prevent this? Yeah pretty much. Is ICS that much better that I'm willing to risk this over a traditional set up? Nope.

Now, if the board that is best for you just happens to have ICS, then go for it.
Honestly that is what im scared of. I honestly dont know what the perfect board is for me but id like to try ics.... I wouldn't even trust the raidens' 2 bolt system... Oh man, Burton is such a marketing scheme and yet i want to ride their boards. Its probably because i saw Mads in Follow Me Around by MDP and it was like the sickest part ever. Plus the ics is a cool idea, its when i think of the Consequence....
Old 08-13-2012, 11:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Honestly that is what im scared of. I honestly dont know what the perfect board is for me but id like to try ics.... I wouldn't even trust the raidens' 2 bolt system... Oh man, Burton is such a marketing scheme and yet i want to ride their boards. Its probably because i saw Mads in Follow Me Around by MDP and it was like the sickest part ever. Plus the ics is a cool idea, its when i think of the Consequence....
Channel M5 was fine, but they improved it with the channel M6, stronger hardware, and more binding compatibility. You'll have no problems.

That being said, aside from fucking with my stance a lot (still think I can do better), I don't see a TON of benefits with ICS. It is cool on a pow day though to just knock your bindings back within seconds and get back out there.

Always check your shit before you ride.
phony_stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned!

I'm not a Burton hater by any means but this system is just so stupid for the sake of being stupid and pushing itself out of sheer stubborn idiocy and brutality through the simple power of Burton. Sure I have to use the toolbench sometimes, but I always lol inside when I see someone coming over with some ICS rental on a swivel "does anyone know how to fix this?..."

sCaRy tech.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:

I have had series of channel boards and EST bindings, never had a problem, use the right size screwdriver to tighten the screws nice and tight. I'll admit I don't change my stance too often on the hill but when i do I make a point of doing it without letting snow get under the binding. I think it's good practice to check your binding screws once in a while regardless of the setup, but I haven't found mine loosen on me. Ideally one would ensure the screws are tight every time they go out but even when I don't bother for a several outings they dont' loosen. I do however travel a bit and have to take bindings off to get multiple board in a bag - ICS is easy for that.
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote