Need second opinion on board for this winter - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2012, 10:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Need second opinion on board for this winter

So I trashed my Burton Blunt this past season and started doing some research for a new board. I was able to demo a Burton Hero, trying the channel for the first time, and enjoyed the experience, but wasn't too sure about all the hype surrounding the updated tech. I enjoy riding groomers/trails due to a lot of my friends never trying park, but I would like to hit the park more this winter.

6' 170 lbs, 11.5 boots, large bindings, favorite color is blue and lots of cake

I've been able to narrow down my decision to:

1: 2013 GNU Carbon Credit 159 Wide with my old Cartels

2. 2012 Burton Hero 158 Wide with Cartel/Malavita EST

Wouldn't mind getting a new board and bindings, just looking for some opinions to stop this internal struggle . Any suggestion for an all mountain board is welcome.

Last edited by Saevus; 08-15-2012 at 09:13 AM.
Saevus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2012, 11:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saevus View Post
So I trashed my Burton Blunt this past season and started doing some research for a new board. I was able to demo a Burton Hero, trying the channel for the first time, and enjoyed the experience, but wasn't too sure about all the hype surrounding the updated tech. I enjoy riding groomers/trails due to a lot of my friends never trying park, but I would like to hit the park more this winter.

6' 170 lbs, 11.5 boots, large bindings, favorite color is blue and lots of cake

I've been able to narrow down my decision to:

1: 2013 GNU Carbon Credit 159 Wide with my old Cartels

2. 2012 Burton Hero 158 Wide with Cartel/Malavita EST

Wouldn't mind getting a new board and bindings, just looking for some opinions to stop this internal struggle .
I'd throw out the Gnu. Its their bottom of the line board actually.

Look at the Flow Era 155, not wide. Its a fairly wide board as is and will accommodate your 11.5's just fine. Put some Malavita's, Raiden Phantoms, Flow NX2-SE's, or Flux DMCC Lights on it. Better grip than a Hero, cheaper than both the Gnu and Burton, and really just a fantastic board overall. I'll hopefully be on one for this year.

Others to consider, Signal OG Flat 155w, Arbor Blacklist 157, or a Nitro Rook whatever the next size above the 54 is... 56? Same binding suggestions.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:42 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
I'd throw out the Gnu. Its their bottom of the line board actually.

Look at the Flow Era 155, not wide. Its a fairly wide board as is and will accommodate your 11.5's just fine. Put some Malavita's, Raiden Phantoms, Flow NX2-SE's, or Flux DMCC Lights on it. Better grip than a Hero, cheaper than both the Gnu and Burton, and really just a fantastic board overall. I'll hopefully be on one for this year.

Others to consider, Signal OG Flat 155w, Arbor Blacklist 157, or a Nitro Rook whatever the next size above the 54 is... 56? Same binding suggestions.
Thanks for the suggestions, although now I have more boards to consider. Out of all the boards you suggested, it looks like the Arbor Blacklist or Signal OG would suit my all mountain needs, but is always ready to hit the park. Never rode a Flow board before, but the Era seems to get a pretty good rep and similar to the boards I have tried in the past.

Still looking for board choices, have a long way to go until the season starts in the Midwest.

Last edited by Saevus; 08-19-2012 at 05:05 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks to Nivek and a little research I've narrowed down the choices to:

1. Flow Era 158 (Not sure if the 155 is too small for 11/11.5 boots)

2. Arbor Formula 158

Main focus is on all mountain/ icy groomers due to my Midwest location, though I will be venturing into the park/ jumps more often this season. Flow Era looks sick, but I would put my skill level at advanced beginner so I don't know if I am ready for that board.

Any testimonials for the Flow Era would be appreciated and thanks for the help.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I'll let others chime in, but will point out, Griptech on the Arbor may help with the ice. I hear the Flows are good for grip as well, but they don't have any specific tech if that's your thing.
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Though it does not grip as well as Griptech its close. The mellow sidecut underfoot on the Era grips working off the same theory as Salomons Equalizer. The straight lines of Equalizer give a "hot spot" in the middle of each section, interupting an otherwise deeper sidecut with a mellow one gives a very similar effect.

I would still say at 170lbs get a 155 Era. If you are really that concerned about your feet fitting on it, it comes in a 155w. A 158 is just bigger than you need especially in the midwest.

The Era is not more board than even a first day ever rider can handle. So don't worry about that. Really when it comes to park boards as long as you aren't looking at a gnarly slopestyle/jump oriented deck they're all fine for first timers as well as the type of park rider they're built for.

While the Formula is a great first board since you already have the basics of riding down you will likely outgrow it this season. Get something that has some lasting power.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634

Last edited by Nivek; 08-20-2012 at 08:43 PM.
Nivek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

I believe you have sold me on the Era Nivek, thanks for all the help and info .