All-Mountain Board: TRS vs T. Rice vs Jamie Lynn? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2012, 07:00 AM   #1 (permalink)

Question All-Mountain Board: TRS vs T. Rice vs Jamie Lynn?

Hello, folks!

I need your help deciding which one of these three boards to purchase. I ride powder, as well as groomers, no parks, etc, with preference to pow whenever possible.

I rate myself at an intermediate level (I rode alpine for several years, then after a pause of about 5, I've been renting gear for the past 2 years).

I am 6'1", weigh about 200-210 lbs, shoe size is about a US 11 (+/- 0.5 depending on brand/model).

The guy at the local Lib Tech shop recommended the TRS, while I am leaning towards T. Rice for two reasons: it's supposed to be a bit stiffer and it has a better (as in more durable?) base.

He also said the JLP is a board fitting my style.

The length I am looking at is about 162 for all models (160 for the JLP), which I think should be optimal for me. Is that OK for me?

I've read several threads (here and on other forums) about the exact same boards and similar style of riding: sometimes people recommend the TRS, sometimes the T. Rice.

Cheers!
Goedendag is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2012, 08:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goedendag View Post
Hello, folks!

I need your help deciding which one of these three boards to purchase. I ride powder, as well as groomers, no parks, etc, with preference to pow whenever possible.

I rate myself at an intermediate level (I rode alpine for several years, then after a pause of about 5, I've been renting gear for the past 2 years).

I am 6'1", weigh about 200-210 lbs, shoe size is about a US 11 (+/- 0.5 depending on brand/model).

The guy at the local Lib Tech shop recommended the TRS, while I am leaning towards T. Rice for two reasons: it's supposed to be a bit stiffer and it has a better (as in more durable?) base.

He also said the JLP is a board fitting my style.

The length I am looking at is about 162 for all models (160 for the JLP), which I think should be optimal for me. Is that OK for me?

I've read several threads (here and on other forums) about the exact same boards and similar style of riding: sometimes people recommend the TRS, sometimes the T. Rice.

Cheers!
All of these boards will work for what you describe, although none would be my first choice and none of them are powder specific (but will do just fine in pow).
TRS is the most versatile/most all-mountain of the lot, while the T. Rice and the Phoenix are more specialized. T. Rice and Phoenix are both more for charging hard/big airs - they are ok on groomers, but really pretty pointless for that purpose.
TRS is also by far the most playful, while the other two are more plankish.

Would probably recommend the TRS - way more fun and playful on groomers than the other two and just as good in pow. You do not need the extra stiffness of the T. Rice or the Phoenix unless you want to really charge and tackle serious steeps.

Last edited by hktrdr; 08-16-2012 at 08:07 AM.
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:55 AM   #3 (permalink)

If you ride switch a lot, Travis Rice. If you ride directional almost all the time, JLP.
Nolefan2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan2011 View Post
If you ride switch a lot, Travis Rice. If you ride directional almost all the time, JLP.
It is true that one of the main differences (aside from a bunch of tech/construction details) between the T. Rice and Phoenix is that the latter is directional. That said, the Phoenix is not very directional in nature - it is a directional twin (rather than a full-on directional board) and the setback is only 1/2 inch.

And the TRS rides switch as well as the T. Rice (as it also is a true twin)
Old 08-16-2012, 03:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

T. Rice is a mid-wide so should fit your feet pretty spot on
bseracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bseracka View Post
T. Rice is a mid-wide so should fit your feet pretty spot on
All the boards that has has mentioned should be plenty wide enough for his size 11 (+/- 0.5) size boots.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:48 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the prompt replies, everyone!

I got a bit more confused, I feel like tossing a coin right now LOL

What confuses me, too, are the reviews from thegoodride.com (TRS review here and T. Rice review here). They rate the T. Rice higher for powder/grooming, while the TRS supposedly excels in jumps, etc..

Coming from alpine riding, I've never really tried anything freestyle. If I were to start playing around (in addition to bombing and pow), which would be the better board?

Thanks, again!
Goedendag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

If you are set on LIB, you might want to take a look at the attack banana. Should float better than those three boards and still be able to charge as hard as the TRS.
djsaad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:52 AM   #9 (permalink)

I rode a TRS when it first came out. Solid board. All the boards mentioned are. My buddy rides the Attack Banana. He can do anything on it. At some point, you just have to pick/purchase, ride it and learn it. I don't think you'll be disappointed with any of those.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goedendag View Post
Thanks for the prompt replies, everyone!

I got a bit more confused, I feel like tossing a coin right now LOL

What confuses me, too, are the reviews from thegoodride.com (TRS review here and T. Rice review here). They rate the T. Rice higher for powder/grooming, while the TRS supposedly excels in jumps, etc..

Coming from alpine riding, I've never really tried anything freestyle. If I were to start playing around (in addition to bombing and pow), which would be the better board?

Thanks, again!
Short answer, in order from most suitable to less:
  1. TRS
  2. Attack Banana (good second choice)
  3. T. Rice or Phoenix (tied distant third, which one of these two depends on whether you want a (slightly) directional board or true twin)