Worth adding Evo as my second board? - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2012, 02:19 PM   #11 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by linvillegorge View Post
If I was gonna sell the SL, I wouldn't go Evo, I'd go Proto.

IMO, the Proto pretty much makes the SL obsolete. I'm not sure why anyone would go SL > Proto if buying new. NS is wise to keep it around as it's been their most popular board, but from an objective standpoint, there's really no reason to pick it over the Proto.
I've never ridden the Proto but I went Legacy over the Proto CTX because I skew more free ride than park or hardcore freestyle. I like speed and I've gotten into kickers, the extra dampening of the Legacy/SL over the Proto seemed right for me.

I do wish that the Legacy was a true twin though. I don't get a lot of powder in my area.
  • Boyne Mountain: 0
  • Mt Holly: 1
  • Mt. Brighton: 0
  • Caberfae Peaks: 0
  • Crystal Mountain: 0
  • Bittersweet: 0
sabatoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2012, 02:20 PM   #12 (permalink)

I'll throw up the sl on craigslist and see what kind of offers I get. Now I just need to decide if I should sell and get a proto 154. or just get a smaller park board for park days.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:41 PM   #13 (permalink)

My 2 cents if you get an EVO you wont regret it. I've takin my evo into Pow lines in the trees, Bombed jumps and all the unique jibs. I love zipping around on my EVO from feature to feature at bear. Damn snowboarding needs to come back.

Last edited by baseline6; 08-17-2012 at 02:44 PM.
baseline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 04:34 PM   #14 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipsideJohn View Post
i want the 152 but i wear size 12 and the boards waist is 24.2, so i dont think that'll work out. my only concern with the evo is that it's almost the same board as the sl just shorter, so i dont know how much improvement ill see
Evo is softer, has blunted edges and is a true twin.

I weigh the same as you and ride 150-152. Id go with a 152 if it were me, only because you still have the SL.

I also rode an SL, in 151 and they are definitely different boards.

Just get a revolver for your big feets.

Never Summer Revolver Snowboard 2012 | evo

152 or 155 for $399 which is about $100 off the new models.

Never Summer Revolver - 2011/12

Even cheaper at $375 for a 155.

I also ride bear. I'm going with a Westmark for it this year (did the Evo last year). Blacklist is an option with your 12 boots.

But honestly, Id lean towards a 152. You don't need to go fast at Summit or Bear. If you did it would be boring by mid morning.
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 04:39 PM   #15 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linvillegorge View Post
If I was gonna sell the SL, I wouldn't go Evo, I'd go Proto.

IMO, the Proto pretty much makes the SL obsolete. I'm not sure why anyone would go SL > Proto if buying new. NS is wise to keep it around as it's been their most popular board, but from an objective standpoint, there's really no reason to pick it over the Proto.

IMO, the NS portfolio is starting to get pretty crowded. If I was a one board guy, for the way I primarily ride, I'd be struggling to choose between the Proto, Cobra, and Heritage. I could make a strong argument for all of them, but I'd probably end up going Cobra. Not sure what the hell that had to do with this thread. Sorry for rambling.
It is getting crowded in the NS lineup but that ain't such a bad thing. But it can get confusing sometimes when I look at other lineups (LiB/Gnu, Rome, k2 etc.).

The reasons to go for the SL over the Proto in my opinion (Haven't ridden the proto) is mainly due to the dampening. Someone more inclined to just free ride and pow would probably be better off than on the Proto. Some people never ever ever ride switch

That said my quiver is set for the year. 150 westmark and 153 cobra.

Fucking snow already.
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 04:39 PM   #16 (permalink)

Never Summer Revolver 152 Men's Snowboard in Black at k5.com your source for quality surf, skate and snowboard equipment and clothing
Old 08-17-2012, 07:02 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipsideJohn View Post
i want the 152 but i wear size 12 and the boards waist is 24.2, so i dont think that'll work out. my only concern with the evo is that it's almost the same board as the sl just shorter, so i dont know how much improvement ill see
If your worried about board width the revolver is a wider version of the evo I believe.

Academy Propaganda rev - Rome 390 Boss
New for 14-15
Yes the Basic - Now IPO
henry06x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:06 AM   #18 (permalink)

i want to stay away from wide boards if possible. i'm going to go down to my local shop in a few months and with my boots and see if theres much overhang with a 152 evo
Old 08-18-2012, 03:30 AM   #19 (permalink)
Banned!

I don't see how with size 12's you want to stay away from wide boards yet are worried about waist size. At your weight you should be on a 152, you could easily get away with 149-150...so it seems like you have compensated for not wanting a wide board by buying an SL that is WAYYYYY to fucking long for you unless you gain 60 lbs.

You should be looking at a Revolver in the right length, and if you don't like that still, consider the Arbor Blacklist, a mid-wide, BA's (http://www.angrysnowboarder.com/) fave stick the last 2 years running.

Otherwise just get like a 162 evo wtf...

And I think for a 2nd board its a good choice cuz you can take that SL with the dampness and setback to other situations (pow, bigger mountain).

I have a proto and I am planning to get an evo this year, I weigh 175 and ride '54s on both.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:04 AM   #20 (permalink)

when i bought the sl i was in the 155lb range and was about to leave for over a week to tahoe and I needed a board. the store didn't have anymore heritages so i thought I could get the 158 sl and it would be more freeriding oriented. I didn't get it cuz of boot size