Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Worth adding Evo as my second board? (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/49251-worth-adding-evo-my-second-board.html)

FlipsideJohn 08-17-2012 12:16 PM

Worth adding Evo as my second board?
 
Hey all. I'm getting a pass to bear mountain this year and was wondering if I should get a board more suited to that type of riding. I currently have a 2010/2011 ns sl 158 for freedriding. I weigh 145 currently and this is a fairly big board for a guy my size.
I was wondering if I should pick up an evo for park riding since thats pretty much all bear has to offer. I've taken the sl in the park a few times and it performs well, but i feel like a dedicated park board will be best. opinions?
-thanks
edit: Ill be using my rome 390 bosses with this board

linvillegorge 08-17-2012 12:32 PM

The Evo will definitely be softer and more playful. Maybe something in the 154 range or so.

I'm 40# heavier than you and I take my 158 Evo all over the place.

FlipsideJohn 08-17-2012 12:39 PM

i want the 152 but i wear size 12 and the boards waist is 24.2, so i dont think that'll work out. my only concern with the evo is that it's almost the same board as the sl just shorter, so i dont know how much improvement ill see

linvillegorge 08-17-2012 12:45 PM

It's quite a bit softer and a true twin. The SL has a little bit of setback.

They're definitely similar boards though.

FlipsideJohn 08-17-2012 12:48 PM

oh yea i forgot about the setback. do you think the difference between the sl and evo for park is worth the $500 expense?

linvillegorge 08-17-2012 01:02 PM

Only you can decide that. There's definitely a difference between the two, especially when you're downsizing 4-6cm. It just depends on what you're looking to do with it.

If you're just looking for something to play around on and still intend on your SL being your primary board, maybe look outside of NS at something cheaper.

LuckyRVA 08-17-2012 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlipsideJohn (Post 514004)
oh yea i forgot about the setback. do you think the difference between the sl and evo for park is worth the $500 expense?

Post in the for sale section that you're willing to trade your SL for (whatever size) Evo. Can't hurt. :dunno:

linvillegorge 08-17-2012 01:36 PM

If I was gonna sell the SL, I wouldn't go Evo, I'd go Proto.

IMO, the Proto pretty much makes the SL obsolete. I'm not sure why anyone would go SL > Proto if buying new. NS is wise to keep it around as it's been their most popular board, but from an objective standpoint, there's really no reason to pick it over the Proto.

IMO, the NS portfolio is starting to get pretty crowded. If I was a one board guy, for the way I primarily ride, I'd be struggling to choose between the Proto, Cobra, and Heritage. I could make a strong argument for all of them, but I'd probably end up going Cobra. Not sure what the hell that had to do with this thread. Sorry for rambling. :p

hktrdr 08-17-2012 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyRVA (Post 514011)
Post in the for sale section that you're willing to trade your SL for (whatever size) Evo. Can't hurt. :dunno:

Actually, try to trade the SL (+ cash) for a 154 Proto. That should give you pretty much what you are looking for in a single board/at a lower cost - and with a 25.1 waist which should be enough for your size 12 kicks.

Kapn.K 08-17-2012 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlipsideJohn (Post 513996)
Hey all. I'm getting a pass to bear mountain this year and was wondering if I should get a board more suited to that type of riding. I currently have a 2010/2011 ns sl 158 for freedriding. I weigh 145 currently and this is a fairly big board for a guy my size.
I was wondering if I should pick up an evo for park riding since thats pretty much all bear has to offer. I've taken the sl in the park a few times and it performs well, but i feel like a dedicated park board will be best. opinions?
-thanks
edit: Ill be using my rome 390 bosses with this board

The width at your bindings is considerably wider than the waist. People sweat overhang way too much, as well. If you're worried about your yacht size feet, get the revolver(a wide evo). Wides will be slower edge to edge. I've been riding a wide(legacy) for 4 years and decided this last time that I want a standard width(just ordered a 160 proto CT). The evo is much softer in the right places. You could go big on an evo or jib an SL. Get a 152 evo/revolver. A 154 is going to have near the effective edge of your 158 so other than the flex, it won't ride a whole lot different. You can throw around the smaller board a lot easier which is what I would want for a park board.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:22 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2