Adding to the Quiver or Replacing Existing - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2012, 08:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Adding to the Quiver or Replacing Existing

Okay, so I'm in a situation.. Not really! I ride a NS Evo and I also have and SL. Really liking what I'm seeing with the Proto and want to pick one up. If I add it to what I already have, it is similar to the Evo. The SL I don't take advantage of the setback and ride equal stance front to back. I'm really looking for opinions. I'm looking at replacing one of the 2 boards I have with an Evo and selling one of the existing. If I go that route, which, in your opinion would you get rid of? Also been looking at a rebuild year and picking up a Proto and getting a second board completely out of the NS line. I ride in a mix of conditions, been working on getting more into the park, but like to rip down the mountain too. So whats your opinions on the situation?

1. Keep boards and add the Proto?
2. Replace one of the boards I have with the Proto? If replace, which one?
3. Rebuild and get the proto and find something outside the NS line?
sleev-les is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2012, 10:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleev-les View Post
Okay, so I'm in a situation.. Not really! I ride a NS Evo and I also have and SL. Really liking what I'm seeing with the Proto and want to pick one up. If I add it to what I already have, it is similar to the Evo. The SL I don't take advantage of the setback and ride equal stance front to back. I'm really looking for opinions. I'm looking at replacing one of the 2 boards I have with an Evo and selling one of the existing. If I go that route, which, in your opinion would you get rid of? Also been looking at a rebuild year and picking up a Proto and getting a second board completely out of the NS line. I ride in a mix of conditions, been working on getting more into the park, but like to rip down the mountain too. So whats your opinions on the situation?

1. Keep boards and add the Proto?
2. Replace one of the boards I have with the Proto? If replace, which one?
3. Rebuild and get the proto and find something outside the NS line?
In my thinking if you have an SL and an Evo, you don't need a Proto at all. By the same token, if you have a Proto, you don't really need an Evo and SL.

Seems you obviously want a Proto no matter what. I'd get rid of the SL. I'm adding an Evo this year and rode Proto last year.

They are all pretty close on the spectrum these boards.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:03 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowklinger View Post
In my thinking if you have an SL and an Evo, you don't need a Proto at all. By the same token, if you have a Proto, you don't really need an Evo and SL.

Seems you obviously want a Proto no matter what. I'd get rid of the SL. I'm adding an Evo this year and rode Proto last year.

They are all pretty close on the spectrum these boards.
That was the other part.. They are definitely close.. You are keeping your Proto I'm assuming??
Old 08-20-2012, 11:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleev-les View Post
That was the other part.. They are definitely close.. You are keeping your Proto I'm assuming??
Yeah, I do love it, but when the snow is shitty I'd rather go slower and play around more, for me the Proto is too much board for this because I am limited by ability among other things . When the snow is crap I head to the park or like to fool around on the groomers and in trees, and the Proto, as a park board is for like 60 footers...I can get away with the Evo on the mid-size line that I hit.

Like I say I will use the Proto when the snow is good because that opens up serious terrain and I do like going fast and steep. Never ridden anything close to a Raptor, but I feel like I could take my Proto anywhere as if it were one (it just wont do Pow like a tapered big mountain deck, but its pretty fucken badass in pow for what it is). Thing is, you could use your SL for this situation, and evo in the previous, but that would be if you were me, wink.

FWIW I weigh 175lbs and have a '54 proto, the evo will also be a '54.

Last edited by snowklinger; 08-20-2012 at 11:22 AM.
snowklinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:48 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowklinger View Post
Yeah, I do love it, but when the snow is shitty I'd rather go slower and play around more, for me the Proto is too much board for this because I am limited by ability among other things . When the snow is crap I head to the park or like to fool around on the groomers and in trees, and the Proto, as a park board is for like 60 footers...I can get away with the Evo on the mid-size line that I hit.

Like I say I will use the Proto when the snow is good because that opens up serious terrain and I do like going fast and steep. Never ridden anything close to a Raptor, but I feel like I could take my Proto anywhere as if it were one (it just wont do Pow like a tapered big mountain deck, but its pretty fucken badass in pow for what it is). Thing is, you could use your SL for this situation, and evo in the previous, but that would be if you were me, wink.

FWIW I weigh 175lbs and have a '54 proto, the evo will also be a '54.
I'm 200lbs and both boards are '54... I'm debating going to a 157 for the Proto, but haven't had a very strong reasoning to go bigger..
Old 08-20-2012, 11:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Sell 'em both and buy a Proto, IMO.

If you have one of the three, I don't think there's really much of a place for one of the other three. They're just too similar. If you want a quiver, go for boards that offer something more different from each other.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by linvillegorge View Post
Sell 'em both and buy a Proto, IMO.

If you have one of the three, I don't think there's really much of a place for one of the other three. They're just too similar. If you want a quiver, go for boards that offer something more different from each other.
That was what I meant from a rebuild.. Getting outside the NS brand after picking up the Proto. I think I have an addiction to the NS line lol.... Regardless, I may lean more toward picking up the Proto and going to something else as another board (which would start up my next debate lol)..