NS Proto Vs Evo - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Which board do I go with?
Never Summer Proto 21 39.62%
Never Summer Evo 6 11.32%
Lib Tech T Rice Pro 8 15.09%
Something Else 18 33.96%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2012, 06:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default NS Proto Vs Evo

Hey guys, I am in the process of snagging a new board and am having trouble making a decision. I am definitely going with a Never Summer, due to all the great things I hear from people. Howver I am having a hard time choosing between the proto CT and the Evo. I live in the Midwest and therefore ride a lot of crap icy groomers, but also make it out west quite a bit and ride pow on tree runs and such. I like to take my time going down runs, doing a lot of butters and Ollie's. I look for a board with good pop and that can handle speed and carves, but that isn't too stiff to butter or hit some rails. I'm about 70% freestyle and 30% park. *I'm really just looking for a good all-mountain board. *The Proto sounds like a better fit for me, but is 50 bucks more (not a big deal), and the Evo has a lot better graphics (the proto graphics are kinda brutal). So do you guys think the Evo is more for park rats and I should just buy the Proto, slap some decals on it, and call it a day?
Black<3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2012, 06:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black<3 View Post
Hey guys, I am in the process of snagging a new board and am having trouble making a decision. I am definitely going with a Never Summer, due to all the great things I hear from people. Howver I am having a hard time choosing between the proto CT and the Evo. I live in the Midwest and therefore ride a lot of crap icy groomers, but also make it out west quite a bit and ride pow on tree runs and such. I like to take my time going down runs, doing a lot of butters and Ollie's. I look for a board with good pop and that can handle speed and carves, but that isn't too stiff to butter or hit some rails. I'm about 70% freestyle and 30% park. *I'm really just looking for a good all-mountain board. *The Proto sounds like a better fit for me, but is 50 bucks more (not a big deal), and the Evo has a lot better graphics (the proto graphics are kinda brutal). So do you guys think the Evo is more for park rats and I should just buy the Proto, slap some decals on it, and call it a day?
Well which is it. You take your time down the hills or you need it to handle speed?

If it's your only deck I'd probably lean Proto. The Evo is a cool resort board but it will chatter when gaining speed.

Fuck the graphics as long as it's not Pink unicorns who cares. And if you like Pink Unicorns well ... not that there is anything wrong with that.

Throwing this out there ... but check out the Arbors too. Coda/Westmark/Blacklist. Rode the coda and it's fun. Riding the Westmark this year. I'd place it on par with the Evo, category wise.
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdang307 View Post
Well which is it. You take your time down the hills or you need it to handle speed.
Now you see my problem. I'm a bi-polar boarder. But yeah I'm thinking the Proto as well, cause I would rather travel with one deck if possible and it's more of an all-mountain board. but i'll look into the Arbors too before I make any rash decisions.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black<3 View Post
Now you see my problem. I'm a bi-polar boarder. But yeah I'm thinking the Proto as well, cause I would rather travel with one deck if possible and it's more of an all-mountain board. but i'll look into the Arbors too before I make any rash decisions.
You can probably work a little harder to make the Proto do whatever the Evo can do, but you can't make the Evo chatter less.

If that helps.

But for general fucking around, some have found the Proto not their cup of Tea.

Lets say I'm not the best boarder around but I found the Evo to barely be adequate for speeding down Breck. It worked fine. But when I went to Squaw there was no way I was speeding down those slopes. And I'm not even talking about KT-22 but even the blues at Squaw would have been a bit much for the Evo.
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yeah I would much rather have a board that made park a little more difficult, then deal with another board that can't handle speed and has a lot of chatter (which I've dealt with before). I was concerned whether the Evo was damp enough, so that helps a lot. Also looking to get rid of the flows I've been riding a couple years now, and go for something less convenient but with better performance, but that's a whole different monster.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

2013 Yes Greats or Flow Drifter.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned!

I voted Evo, I've compared them alot lately in other threads, the Proto will handle speed and big kickers better, requires a little more work to press and fool with.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:08 AM   #8 (permalink)

Im stuck between the proto and evo too. Im 6' 1 and 150. Just not sure if the 154 proto would still be playful enough with my weight. Any Help?
Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:10 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned!

Quote:
not sure if the 154 proto would still be playful enough with my weight. Any Help?

10char

Last edited by snowklinger; 08-21-2012 at 12:15 AM.
snowklinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Anyone remember when you only had the option of positive camber and you had to learn to butter and play around on that? Oh the old days.

It has rocker and isn't a wildly aggressive jump board like a DH2 or Arcade. If you are someplace where it snows just get the 154 so you can ride deeper snow better.

It will make you a stonger rider.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote