yet another "which board do I chose???" dilemma - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
yet another "which board do I chose???" dilemma

Hi all, would really appreciate some assistance on this.......
Firstly, I live in Perth, Australia, and we have one store which sells snowboards in the whole city, thus my reliance on these forums to get decent advice.

Recently sold my 2010 Burton Mayhem 164 board to upgrade. I ride mainly powder, and totally stay away from parks. Still lokking for a board that's all-mountain, but with an emphasis on pow. I'm a size 12 US boot, 6'3 (191) around 200lbs (90kg)

My initial inclinations are;
1) Lib Tech TRS C2BTX 162 (25.6)
2) Jeremy Jones Flagship 161, 164W (25.2, 26.2W)
3) Burton Custom X Wide 162 (26)
4) Rossignol The Experience 163 (25.2, 26.1MW)
5) Lib Tech T.Rice Pro C2BTX 161.5 (26)
6) Lib Tech Attack Banana EC2BTX 161 (25.8) ???

I've read that Lib Tech suggest sizing down for their boards?

Any help would be really great
saudade101 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 10:23 PM
Veteran Member
 
linvillegorge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Evergreen, CO
Posts: 8,797
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Everyone talks about sizing down these days. Primarily due to rockered designs floating better in powder and edge tech that leads to better edge hold.

I think the sizes you're looking at are just fine.

"People say that marijuana smoking is going to get in the way of my career. I say to them that on the contrary, my fighting career is getting in the way of my marijuana smoking." -Nick Diaz
linvillegorge is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 08:33 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 220
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by saudade101 View Post
Hi all, would really appreciate some assistance on this.......
Firstly, I live in Perth, Australia, and we have one store which sells snowboards in the whole city, thus my reliance on these forums to get decent advice.

Recently sold my 2010 Burton Mayhem 164 board to upgrade. I ride mainly powder, and totally stay away from parks. Still lokking for a board that's all-mountain, but with an emphasis on pow. I'm a size 12 US boot, 6'3 (191) around 200lbs (90kg)

My initial inclinations are;
1) Lib Tech TRS C2BTX 162 (25.6)
2) Jeremy Jones Flagship 161, 164W (25.2, 26.2W)
3) Burton Custom X Wide 162 (26)
4) Rossignol The Experience 163 (25.2, 26.1MW)
5) Lib Tech T.Rice Pro C2BTX 161.5 (26)
6) Lib Tech Attack Banana EC2BTX 161 (25.8) ???

I've read that Lib Tech suggest sizing down for their boards?

Any help would be really great
I just bought the t.rice pro hp. 153 size because they reccomended sizing down 3 cm.. I rode a 156 before. I am regretting my decision now because I have the same riding style as you. I am trying to return it it and get the 157. I'm not sure if they will let me though.
jbernste03 is offline  
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 03:04 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
bump..........i'd really like to get some more opinions, surely some of you know these boards quite well?? It's just that I'm keen on buying from the states very soon, and don't have the luxury of going to a snowboarding store to talk to experts. cheers
saudade101 is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 03:14 AM
Banned!
 
snowklinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: L-Town
Posts: 6,810
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Sounds like you need an NS CobraX, but that's just a fanboy talkin and probably u can't get it.

Support Local Business
"Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!" - Ash
snowklinger is online now  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 04:17 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,966
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowklinger View Post
Sounds like you need an NS CobraX, but that's just a fanboy talkin and probably u can't get it.
NS boards are crazy expensive in Oz...

Would also help to know where the OP is doing his riding - pow riding in Japan is very different from pow in Oz...
hktrdr is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 06:25 AM
Veteran Member
 
cjcameron11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 778
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ive heard the Rossignol experience is more for pow than all mountain, has a pretty soft nose i believe.

The TRS and T Rice are similar, the TRS is directional twin i believe, whereas the T Rice is true twin (correct if wrong please). I had the T Rice and liked it but i did get rid of it for a gnu riders choice.

Attack banana might not be the best choice for pow pow but i dont know much about it so may be wrong.

Dont know much about the jones, but the custom X is pretty damn aggressive and stiff, i'm sure its good in pow but something tells me its for serious bombing and big air.

May i suggest something that i just bought, a ride berzerker. I fucking love this thing, i'm selling my gnu, and i don't know if ill buy another board with magne traction either (thats another story). Its so stable, poppy and aggressive with great float in pow, good edge hold on ice and the perfect amount of stiffness and forgivness for me. And its fast too, camber under foot with slight rocker in the nose.

Give it a look as i am so blown away by this board, was going to keep them both but now selling the gnu and buying a pow pow board for Jap, that way i have 2 sweet boards that will do it all for me.

my names's Petey and i have gigantic balls
cjcameron11 is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 06:49 AM
Senior Member
 
Basti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Germany
Posts: 448
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The YES Pick your Line 161w or 164w should make you very happy. Floats better in pow than the Lib or NS boards because of the rockered tips and tapered nose. And it's a machine on groomers. I think it's the best board for your purposes.
Basti is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
sweet! thanks guys! I'm going back to Japan for the third time soon, and will mainly be chasing pow tree runs, but obviously still need it to be stable on the groomers. Not really keen on collecting a quiver, more interested in a board that can sort of do it all.

As I read through more of the forum, Never Summer seems to be popping up everywhere. I only really know the Premier f1, so I might look into the brand some more. The Cobra X only has a stiffness rating of 5. Still OK in deep pow? I've also heard the TRS compared to the T.Rice Pro is a little more reliable in deep powder?

YES is really difficult to find, and I'm getting heaps of mixed reviews..........
saudade101 is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 08:25 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,966
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcameron11 View Post
Ive heard the Rossignol experience is more for pow than all mountain, has a pretty soft nose i believe.

The TRS and T Rice are similar, the TRS is directional twin i believe, whereas the T Rice is true twin (correct if wrong please). I had the T Rice and liked it but i did get rid of it for a gnu riders choice.

Attack banana might not be the best choice for pow pow but i dont know much about it so may be wrong.

Dont know much about the jones, but the custom X is pretty damn aggressive and stiff, i'm sure its good in pow but something tells me its for serious bombing and big air.

May i suggest something that i just bought, a ride berzerker. I fucking love this thing, i'm selling my gnu, and i don't know if ill buy another board with magne traction either (thats another story). Its so stable, poppy and aggressive with great float in pow, good edge hold on ice and the perfect amount of stiffness and forgivness for me. And its fast too, camber under foot with slight rocker in the nose.

Give it a look as i am so blown away by this board, was going to keep them both but now selling the gnu and buying a pow pow board for Jap, that way i have 2 sweet boards that will do it all for me.
Erm, that calls for a couple of corrections:
- TRS and T. Rice are both true twins, but otherwise they not that similar - TRS is much softer and playful while the T. Rice is much more of a 'go big' board. Both are pretty good in pow as twins go.
- Attack Banana is actually comparable to and possibly a bit better in pow performance than the TRS and T. Rice because the EC2 profile has more rocker than the C2.


Bezerker is a pretty good recommendation though and not a bad combination for pow and groomer riding in Japan - switch in pow is a slight issues, but not nearly as much as with the NS Cobra.

Last edited by hktrdr; 09-02-2012 at 08:36 AM.
hktrdr is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome