Looking for advice on an all mountain board - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2012, 02:11 AM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance42 View Post
It's all good bro, I need to lose this pudge I put on in the past few months haha. I'm pretty off the cuff myself usually, so I don't take much personal. The width thing is why I'm going to cut weight for one, and two trying to keep it under a 160. With the TRS the width is shown as the same on the 155, 157, and 159, so that's why I figured well might as well snatch the 159 if the width is the same there. The Cobra and SL would be the same width as the TRS at 158 in those boards at 253mm. The Goliath is 254, but honestly 1mm is a hair's difference.

I really do like the fact for the groomers that the goliath is a cambered board for the most part with tbt. The part I'm worried about is the so called "delay" I've read about with edge transition with my already small foot. In the pow I'm not too worried about it, with the rockered corners on tbt it shouldn't be as bad as the rental planks I used to plow with.

The TRS is sounding better and better though, hmm.
One more comment (and you might know this already): Waist width only tells you so much. The sidecut radius will affect massively how wide the board 'actually' is (both at the bindings and the contact points).
Normally people look at width where the bindings go to make sure that the board is wide enough for their feet. For you the analysis is the other way around: Making sure that the board is not too wide throughout.
For instance, compare the 154 TRS with the 154 Banana Magic: Almost the same waist width (actually TRS 25.3 vs. Magic 25.2) but because of the smaller sidecut radius on the Magic the board is already slightly wider at the insets and considerably wider at the nose/tail (29.8 vs 29.2).
Similarly, if not quite as extreme, comparing the 155 Cobra with the 157 TRS you have got narrower waist width on the Cobra (25.1 vs. 25.3) but a slightly wider nose/tail (29.5 vs. 29.3)
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2012, 02:28 AM   #12 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hktrdr View Post
One more comment (and you might know this already): Waist width only tells you so much. The sidecut radius will affect massively how wide the board 'actually' is (both at the bindings and the contact points).
Normally people look at width where the bindings go to make sure that the board is wide enough for their feet. For you the analysis is the other way around: Making sure that the board is not too wide throughout.
For instance, compare the 154 TRS with the 154 Banana Magic: Almost the same waist width (actually TRS 25.3 vs. Magic 25.2) but because of the smaller sidecut radius on the Magic the board is already slightly wider at the insets and considerably wider at the nose/tail (29.8 vs 29.2).
Similarly, if not quite as extreme, comparing the 155 Cobra with the 157 TRS you have got narrower waist width on the Cobra (25.1 vs. 25.3) but a slightly wider nose/tail (29.5 vs. 29.3)
Yea being in Louisiana it kind of blows for checking out equipment. I normally wait till I visit my brother in Seattle for buying boots and whatnot. Was hoping maybe I would catch some late summer sales on a new board, and if not have an idea of what to look for when I do travel this winter. As much as I'd love to catch one on sale, I'm not going to let price dictate my board decision (to a point anyways, don't want to drop more than 550 bucks or so... but 260 on the ride or like 350 on the others won't hurt my feelings either).

Anyways I guess I could call up evo or something and have them measure at the inserts for me once I really narrow it down to just a couple of boards.
Chance42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:36 AM   #13 (permalink)
The Rooster King

Thumbs down

well man, you live in LA and you ride 6-10 days a year.... you should just ride the board you have now - a very good one - a lot more... if you only get 10 days a year in the SL will be fine for 8-10 years.

switching to a different board is not going to make you any better. riding more will. save the $ you would spend on the board and use it for plane/lift tix.

so, not to take the wind outta yer sails, but don't buy another board. ride the one you got.
ShredLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:59 AM   #14 (permalink)

Chance, if it were me, you have a sick board like the poster above me said. Why not get a board to compliment your SL? Maybe getting a Westmark / Blacklist, something with a different profile, true twin, and slightly softer, would compliment your SL well.

Just a thought. Like others have said, your SL still has plenty of life, and getting the second board if different enough, could provide you with another option.
Nolefan2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:05 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShredLife View Post
well man, you live in LA and you ride 6-10 days a year.... you should just ride the board you have now - a very good one - a lot more... if you only get 10 days a year in the SL will be fine for 8-10 years.

switching to a different board is not going to make you any better. riding more will. save the $ you would spend on the board and use it for plane/lift tix.

so, not to take the wind outta yer sails, but don't buy another board. ride the one you got.
^^^What shred said^^^

What year is your SL? If it's 08/09 or newer, the only updates I'm aware of are graphics. All the boards you've mentioned are very similar. I've ridden my Legacy for 5 years averaging about 13 days a year. I don't think it's even broken in! I bought a proto just b/c I shouldn't have bought a wide(legacy) and wanted a sym twin(proto). If I had the SL, I wouldn't have even thought about replacing it. I'm 250 and have been riding a 163. I'm still 250 and got a 160 proto. I'll still bring the legacy as it floats me fine in deep pow. I wouldn't mind a high 60's straight pow board, though.

Last edited by Kapn.K; 08-28-2012 at 12:29 PM. Reason: additional thoughts...
Kapn.K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:06 PM   #16 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Agree with everyone else. The 2011 SL is still a sick board. Why get something to replace it? Get something to complement it if you can, either much more playful or much more stable.
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:09 PM   #17 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShredLife View Post

Didn't see OP lives in LA. Do THIS^^^

You don't need a gnarly all mountain board for Socal. Anywhere in Socal.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:11 PM   #18 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
Didn't see OP lives in LA. Do THIS^^^

You don't need a gnarly all mountain board for Socal. Anywhere in Socal.
It's worse than that. He lives in Louisiana.

And I need a burly board for Mountain High's long runs
Old 08-28-2012, 01:18 PM   #19 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdang307 View Post
It's worse than that. He lives in Louisiana.

And I need a burly board for Mountain High's long runs
HAHAHAHAHA right. "Long runs" in Socal. Classic.

Dude if you live in Louisiana OP stop this now. Your SL is probably MORE board than you need. Even with what trips you might take, you'll get what like 10 days? Just keep what you have. Go buy some meth or blow and have a great night.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:23 PM   #20 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
HAHAHAHAHA right. "Long runs" in Socal. Classic.

Dude if you live in Louisiana OP stop this now. Your SL is probably MORE board than you need. Even with what trips you might take, you'll get what like 10 days? Just keep what you have. Go buy some meth or blow and have a great night.
Again, he might have gear-itis. That itch must be scratched there is no stopping it. The best advice is to use it on some great boots or something, but we all know where this is headed. He wants a board. He will not rest until he has a new board.

You can slide down Mt High with an oval frisbee (the east resort is a little better)