Looking for advice on an all mountain board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2012, 02:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default Looking for advice on an all mountain board

So I currently have a 10-11 NS SL in a 158. Great board, but looking to change it up and try something new. I'm 5'9 200 lbs(target weight by the season start is 185) and wear a 8.5 boot. I've got a pair of 10-11 Burton Rulers and 10-11 32 Ultra Lights.

The SL was my first board, I only get to ride 5-10 days a year normally, so I would rent in the past. I finally said fuck these abused rentals and got my own setup. I'm looking to try and get up to maybe 20 days a year if I can get away long enough.

History, started on skis at the age of 3 (again only 5 days or so a year) had no problem riding advanced terrain at the age of 6 and by 10 was able to hit anything in bounds for the most part. Switched to a board at 12 and development was slower there. I'm 28 now (didn't ride for 9 years) and I ride mainly groomers blues with some single blacks(I know that varies resort to resort, but yea). I like to go between the trees and do some mild off piste stuff (no huge kickers or anything) just playing in the pow with some smaller jumps.

So on to the board dilemma. I'm looking at a NS Cobra 158, Lib Tech TRS 159, Gnu Billy Goat 159. Those are the top 3, the billy goat was really attractive with the slightly narrower waist with my 8.5 boots. I've also considered a few other boards, Bataleon's the Jam, Bataleon Goliath, and Capita BSOD.

Whichever board I buy, I plan on pairing it up with a pair of Rome Targas.
Chance42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2012, 03:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

What do you ride. Park? Steeps? Jumps? Pow?
ThunderChunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderChunky View Post
What do you ride. Park? Steeps? Jumps? Pow?
A mixture of normal groomers (Blues and single blacks) and pow. Hit it up between the trees when I can as well. Not really a park guy, I like natural features more. I hit smaller jumps... stuff most of you guys would probably laugh at
Old 08-27-2012, 07:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

With the type of riding you enjoy, and the boards you listed, I'd go with either the Cobra, the Goat, or the BSOD. They're all very well suited and quite capable for what you're looking to do with them.
It never gets old, if you're in it for the passion, and not the fashion
NWBoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance42 View Post
So I currently have a 10-11 NS SL in a 158. Great board, but looking to change it up and try something new. I'm 5'9 200 lbs(target weight by the season start is 185) and wear a 8.5 boot. I've got a pair of 10-11 Burton Rulers and 10-11 32 Ultra Lights.

The SL was my first board, I only get to ride 5-10 days a year normally, so I would rent in the past. I finally said fuck these abused rentals and got my own setup. I'm looking to try and get up to maybe 20 days a year if I can get away long enough.

History, started on skis at the age of 3 (again only 5 days or so a year) had no problem riding advanced terrain at the age of 6 and by 10 was able to hit anything in bounds for the most part. Switched to a board at 12 and development was slower there. I'm 28 now (didn't ride for 9 years) and I ride mainly groomers blues with some single blacks(I know that varies resort to resort, but yea). I like to go between the trees and do some mild off piste stuff (no huge kickers or anything) just playing in the pow with some smaller jumps.

So on to the board dilemma. I'm looking at a NS Cobra 158, Lib Tech TRS 159, Gnu Billy Goat 159. Those are the top 3, the billy goat was really attractive with the slightly narrower waist with my 8.5 boots. I've also considered a few other boards, Bataleon's the Jam, Bataleon Goliath, and Capita BSOD.

Whichever board I buy, I plan on pairing it up with a pair of Rome Targas.
All good boards but none really the first choice for what you are describing.

TRS is probably closest, but might be a touch wide - but 159 (assuming you get your weight under control) might just work for you at 25.3.

Cobra could also be ok but would be more limiting if you are planning to ride switch.

Billy Goat not the right board for the described riding - it is much more of a big mountain charging board. It will work ok on the groomers but is too stiff and plankish to be much fun there.

Of the other boards, the Bataleon Goliath is not a bad choice.
The Jam is way too much board again (like the Billy Goat). Have not ridden the BSOD but assume the same applies.

To be honest, the SL is pretty damn good board for your type of riding. The Proto would be good, too.

Last edited by hktrdr; 08-27-2012 at 10:06 PM.
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hktrdr View Post
All good boards but none really the first choice for what you are describing.

TRS is probably closest, but might be a touch wide - but 159 (assuming you get your weight under control) might just work for you at 25.3.

Cobra could also be ok but would be more limiting if you are planning to ride switch.

Billy Goat not the right board for the described riding - it is much more of a big mountain charging board. It will work ok on the groomers but is too stiff and plankish to be much fun there.

Of the other boards, the Bataleon Goliath is not a bad choice.
The Jam is way too much board again (like the Billy Goat). Have not ridden the BSOD but assume the same applies.

To be honest, the SL is pretty damn good board for your type of riding. The Proto would be good, too.
Thanks for the honest input that's what I was looking for. I was afraid the Gnu might be too stiff for what I'm looking at in a board, but the waist width was attractive. I'd love to do the type of riding its truly meant for, but I'm just not there yet.

They did just update the SL for the 12-13 lineup... hmm, haha. Decisions Decisions. So then it would be roughly down to Cobra (I rarely ride switch unless I'm getting myself out of a jam, and a little more sometimes in the trees), the TRS, the Goliath or the updated SL.

Controlling my weight won't be a problem. I'm the opposite of most people, I work on call and outside so in the summer when I'm not working I'm lethargic as balls. It gets a wee bit hot down here. In the fall/winter months I'm much more active and drop 10 lbs like nothing, with effort 15-20 won't be a problem, I used to cut weight all the time.

So I'm guessing with those, the Cobra is probably the stiffest, and the other 3 are pretty close and more of a which graphic do I like better type of thing. The one thing I didn't like about my SL was that it seemed like it could be a bit soft for when I wanted to absolutely haul ass. Then again I was around 190 when I rode it last season. So if I could drop to 180-185 that might not be such an issue at that length.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance42 View Post
Thanks for the honest input that's what I was looking for. I was afraid the Gnu might be too stiff for what I'm looking at in a board, but the waist width was attractive. I'd love to do the type of riding its truly meant for, but I'm just not there yet.

They did just update the SL for the 12-13 lineup... hmm, haha. Decisions Decisions. So then it would be roughly down to Cobra (I rarely ride switch unless I'm getting myself out of a jam, and a little more sometimes in the trees), the TRS, the Goliath or the updated SL.

Controlling my weight won't be a problem. I'm the opposite of most people, I work on call and outside so in the summer when I'm not working I'm lethargic as balls. It gets a wee bit hot down here. In the fall/winter months I'm much more active and drop 10 lbs like nothing, with effort 15-20 won't be a problem, I used to cut weight all the time.

So I'm guessing with those, the Cobra is probably the stiffest, and the other 3 are pretty close and more of a which graphic do I like better type of thing. The one thing I didn't like about my SL was that it seemed like it could be a bit soft for when I wanted to absolutely haul ass. Then again I was around 190 when I rode it last season. So if I could drop to 180-185 that might not be such an issue at that length.
NS rates the Cobra and the SL the same for flex, but I believe the general consensus is that the Cobra rides a little stiffer. So that might work. Also if you are still working on your powder riding the Cobra will be a bit easier on that front - and the limitations on switch riding don't seem to be an issue for you.

I has been a while since I have been on the Goliath but I don't think it was much/any softer than the Cobra. If anything, I think it charges a bit better - but is not as easy in deep pow...

TRS is a really good all-around board and the flex is Goldilocks for most people - not too much, not too little, just right (and again not much difference to the Cobra - and it gets stiffer as you go up the size range). Compared to the Cobra it is not quite as good in pow (but still better than the cambered Bataleon) but slightly more free-stylish on groomers as a true twin.

In summary:
- For pow: Cobra
- For speed/charging: Goliath
- For playfulness: TRS

But they are all really good boards and you cannot go wrong with any of them.

EDIT: Sorry for the comment about your weight. It as not meant as a dig/burn - rather I was getting at the fact that the bigger boards (for heavier riders) tend to be wider, so getting the weight down will help you find something narrower.

Last edited by hktrdr; 09-15-2012 at 02:32 AM.
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Bataleon Goliath, Flow Rush, Arbor Coda, Ride Wildlife, Signal OG Flat. That's what I'd look at.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634

Last edited by Nivek; 08-28-2012 at 01:53 AM.
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hktrdr View Post
NS rates the Cobra and the SL the same for flex, but I believe the general consensus is that the Cobra rides a little stiffer. So that might work. Aldo if you are still working on your powder riding the Cobra will be a bit easier on that front - and the limitations on switch riding don't seem to be an issue for you.

I has been a while since I have been on the Goliath but I don't think it was much/any softer than the Cobra. If anything, I think it charges a bit better - but is not as easy in deep pow...

TRS is a really good all-around board and the flex is Goldilocks for most people - not too much, not too little, just right (and again not much difference to the Cobra - and it gets stiffer as you go up the size range). Compared to the Cobra it is not quite as good in pow (but still better than the cambered Bataleon) but slightly more free-stylish on groomers as a true twin.

In summary:
- For pow: Cobra
- For speed/charging: Goliath
- For playfulness: TRS

But they are all really good boards and you cannot go wrong with any of them.

EDIT: Sorry for the comment about your weight. It as not meant as a dig/burn - rather I was getting at the fact that the bigger boards (for heavier riders) tend to be wider, so getting the weight down will help you find something narrower.

It's all good bro, I need to lose this pudge I put on in the past few months haha. I'm pretty off the cuff myself usually, so I don't take much personal. The width thing is why I'm going to cut weight for one, and two trying to keep it under a 160. With the TRS the width is shown as the same on the 155, 157, and 159, so that's why I figured well might as well snatch the 159 if the width is the same there. The Cobra and SL would be the same width as the TRS at 158 in those boards at 253mm. The Goliath is 254, but honestly 1mm is a hair's difference.

I really do like the fact for the groomers that the goliath is a cambered board for the most part with tbt. The part I'm worried about is the so called "delay" I've read about with edge transition with my already small foot. In the pow I'm not too worried about it, with the rockered corners on tbt it shouldn't be as bad as the rental planks I used to plow with.

The TRS is sounding better and better though, hmm.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:42 AM   #10 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
Bataleon Goliath, Flow Rush, Arbor Coda, Ride Buckwild, Signal OG Flat. That's what I'd look at.
More research and confusion will be upon me shortly, damn it. lol