being advanced board worthy? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2012, 02:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default being advanced board worthy?

Hi,
I'm a beginner and looking to buy my first board. The best deals i can find locally mainly have Ride. So after obsessive research i was aiming for Buckwild, but they don't have my size anymore, leaving me with the DH2 11/12 or Manic 11/12.

I'm wondering when does one outgrow a beginner board like Manic or becomes worthy of an advanced board like DH2?

cheers
xav
xav_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2012, 04:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

there are plent of deals right now. I'd suggest getting a '12 model since '13 models are coming out right now, that will cut a huge amount of costs out. What size are you? What kind of riding are you looking to do? Have you ever ridden at all? What is the price range you're looking to spend?
SnowOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerkat89 View Post
there are plent of deals right now. I'd suggest getting a '12 model since '13 models are coming out right now, that will cut a huge amount of costs out. What size are you? What kind of riding are you looking to do? Have you ever ridden at all? What is the price range you're looking to spend?
Yes riding style, boarder weight, (and possibly height if we are talking extremes like being close to 7' or closer to 4') along with price range may help.
Efilnikufesin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

thanks for the replies,
I skipped my details, cuz i figured i've already narrowed it down to these two boards; Ride Manic and Ride Dh2; They're both allmountain boards, discounted at 50% and 2011/2012. Anyways, I'm going for 152, as i'm 169cm/ 70kg. and i've ridden just a few days.

My question however was,
At what point does a beginner board like Manic start to hold you back and when do you become worthy of an advanced board like DH2?

There's was a great thread on here, explaining level of rider, which may help- but i can't seem to find it

cheers, am off to bed
Old 08-28-2012, 05:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xav_B View Post
thanks for the replies,
I skipped my details, cuz i figured i've already narrowed it down to these two boards; Ride Manic and Ride Dh2; They're both allmountain boards, discounted at 50% and 2011/2012. Anyways, I'm going for 152, as i'm 169cm/ 70kg. and i've ridden just a few days.

My question however was,
At what point does a beginner board like Manic start to hold you back and when do you become worthy of an advanced board like DH2?

There's was a great thread on here, explaining level of rider, which may help- but i can't seem to find it

cheers, am off to bed
Please tell us what you are looking to do on the mountain, will make a huge difference.
Efilnikufesin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thegoodride.com has a chart that may help you find your experiance level.

The DH2 is more of a park board and is stiff. It's not going to be very forgiving as you learn. It does have a rockered up tip and tail tho so that you will be less likely to catch an edge and will make it seem a little softer than its cambered counterpart the DH. I believe all rides boards besides the regular DH are reverse at the tip and tail now also.

I think if they have the ride machete it would be a better fit for you. It's flat between the bindings with the slight rocker up. Instead of camber with a slight rocker up like the DH2 and is softer. It will be more forgiving and fun to play around on at slower speeds.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:30 AM   #7 (permalink)

sorry for my noobness i think i see what you guys mean... so the level of the board is also particular to the level of the style of riding that board is aimed at?

I was looking for an allmountain freestyle. hybrid board. I used to skate street, and so i love doin tricks, but may prefer jumps to jibs. But i also would like something sturdy that'll hold carves at speed.-although as a beginner i'm more likely to worry bout falling from edge catch at speed tho.....and having lots of pop sounds pretty cool too

The prob is where I live the selection is scarce combined with budget. This shop with only Ride boards are the only one with big discounts. I def would go for the machete if they had my size, but they only have 155 left?
Either way i think the DH2 is not for me, and so other than Manic they have Kink and Crush.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:27 AM   #8 (permalink)

I see boards labeled as advanced and find myself scratching my head. Typically, a rockered board that is mid-flexing or softer is typically called beginner. Reason being, they are more catch free than a traditional cambered board.

That said, starting with a stiff board like a DH2, which is traditional camber with early rise might not be the best board for you. I wouldn't call it a park board. It definitely could do big mountain terrain no problem. It's a true twin, stiff board, with lots of pop.

All that said, why not make snowboarding a little more enjoyable to the first year or so, and get a board like a K2 Raygun, which is pretty catch free so that you aren't destroying your body as you learn to carve, but still has some pop and a twin shape, so that if you want to become proficient at riding switch, you can do it.

Other boards that are forgiving, but in no way would I ever say are limiting with growth, are:

Arbor Coda
Never Summer SL
Salomon Grip
K2 Turbo Dream
GNU Carbon Credit
Rome Reverb Rocker

All pretty good boards. All pretty catch free. My choice would be the Coda. Board is one that any rider level would love and use as their everyday board, but forgiving enough and catch free, that you aren't going to get destroyed for every poor carve.

That DH2 though? You won't even see the benefit of having that board (huge booters) for a couple years, and in the meantime, it's not playful, or even that fun to ride groomers with. Coda is much more playful and fun.
Nolefan2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:29 AM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by xav_B View Post
Hi,
I'm a beginner and looking to buy my first board. The best deals i can find locally mainly have Ride. So after obsessive research i was aiming for Buckwild, but they don't have my size anymore, leaving me with the DH2 11/12 or Manic 11/12.

I'm wondering when does one outgrow a beginner board like Manic or becomes worthy of an advanced board like DH2?

cheers
xav
Hi Xav,

To answer your question, there are very few "advanced" or "expert" boards that do not make it easier to ride. This is true even for a beginner. High end boards typically are lighter and use more complex construction but these upgrades tend to make the boards perform better for anyone (that they are well sized for) not just pros. There are some (very few) exceptions where you will find decks that are built and reinforced for big hits and power riding or Full on carvers that lack user friendliness, but those are rare.

Post up your specifics and we will all help you get a great setup.
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:24 AM   #10 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiredsport View Post
Hi Xav,

To answer your question, there are very few "advanced" or "expert" boards that do not make it easier to ride. This is true even for a beginner. High end boards typically are lighter and use more complex construction but these upgrades tend to make the boards perform better for anyone (that they are well sized for) not just pros. There are some (very few) exceptions where you will find decks that are built and reinforced for big hits and power riding or Full on carvers that lack user friendliness, but those are rare.

Post up your specifics and we will all help you get a great setup.
to add to that, some of these performance enhancements, for example things like faster speed & more responsiveness can also be overwhelming for a new rider. Reasons we ask for more specifics is because there are other boards that can better suit your needs depending on what you want to start off with. Kudos for you goin local for your board , but are you specifically looking for a Ride board, or did you just settle for that because you found the best deal on it? Try browsing online, you can find high quality boards for decently cheap prices. check out Wiredsports site you can support a fellow forum buddy! I second Nolefan on the Turbo Dream. I seem to be posting about it constantly. It's what I started out on, and it is far from limiting. Great edge hold in high speed carves, light, and fast. It has the all mountain rocker as well so it's a very forgiving board to learn on. I've done everything from my first jibs to my first grabs off of it. When would a board like this hold me back...When I want to accel at a certain specific aspect of snowboarding. It doesn't have the traditional camber, so it will never lock onto rails and jibs as well as a board specifically made for that, and it will never handle big jumps as well as a stiffer board would
SnowOwl is offline   Reply With Quote