Board Rust & Maintenance - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2012, 11:50 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by $hen View Post
But isn't it easier to use the scratchbite thingy.
??? let me know.

Also, um, does rust only develop on the edge/surface of the board or does it like go deep into the metal as well? Because it could have been rusting since June-July from when I got it in April, I didn't check up on it very often.
Also, would I have to do anything to the base to protect it or just scrub???
$hen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2012, 12:00 AM   #12 (permalink)

Rust does eventually travel deeper into metals, but it needs pretty extreme trapped moisture over a long period of time (pretty much doubt it sank into the board). The base of the board should be waxed, that's what protects it as well as improves glide.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:36 AM   #13 (permalink)
Banned!

Quote:
Also, would I have to do anything to the base to protect it or just scrub???
wax is a popular choice for protecting your base
Old 08-29-2012, 03:38 AM   #14 (permalink)

90% of the rust has come off however a few spots still here and there the rust is still there kinda. Other spots the metal is just lightly darker :P like the rust is barely still there? Do I need to scrub until every single side is just metal or ???? (Also, whats a cleaning solution to clean the top of your board to get rid of dust??)
Old 08-29-2012, 04:31 AM   #15 (permalink)

Wow, another boarder from Singapore. Awesome! Guess you go to Japan or Korea to ride?
SGboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:46 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGboarder View Post
Wow, another boarder from Singapore. Awesome! Guess you go to Japan or Korea to ride?
hahahaha, I wish, nah my dad is a pilot in Singapore Airlines so we fly to europe. Otherwise, yeah I would probably be going there
Old 08-29-2012, 04:49 AM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

WD-40 is good for dissolving rust but be careful with it - use small amount on a cloth/rag. Only needed very rarely, as the rust should only be on the surface (if the edges are proper steel).

For storage, make sure the board is base up/binding side down, so that the wax can seep into the base over time (you did put storage wax on it, right?).
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:51 AM   #18 (permalink)

Question Scratched Edge

I was doing as you guys said and to get some of the hard parts out I may have scratched a little to hard perhaps so im not sure but this only happens on a few spots where its looks like its scratched badly :/ Im not sure, do I just ignore it or should I try and get it waxed somewhere? Urgently?
Whats storage wax? WE NEED STORAGE WAX????!!!!!!???
ScratchedSide.jpg

Last edited by $hen; 08-29-2012 at 04:54 AM.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:02 AM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
I was doing as you guys said and to get some of the hard parts out I may have scratched a little to hard perhaps so im not sure but this only happens on a few spots where its looks like its scratched badly :/ Im not sure, do I just ignore it or should I try and get it waxed somewhere? Urgently?
Whats storage wax? WE NEED STORAGE WAX????!!!!!!???
Ok, first of all calm down. If the spots/marks are only at the upturned bits of the tip and tail you should be fine - the base will look worse after some decent riding. But if it is all along the edge you should definitely slap some wax on (should do that anyway - see my next point). Next make sure you scrub the edge, not the base - you can tape over the base to protect if really necessary.
Second, storage wax is just regular board wax - a nice thick layer on a clean base that is not scraped off until the board comes out of storage/until the board is ridden again. Ensures that the base does not dry out.

Last edited by hktrdr; 08-29-2012 at 05:12 AM.
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:05 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hktrdr View Post
Ok, first of all calm down. If the spots/marks are only at the upturned bits of the tip and tail you should be fine - the base will look worse after some decent riding. But if it is all along the edge you should definitely slap some wax on (should do that anyway - see my next point).
Second, storage wax is just regular board wax - a nice thick layer on a clean base that is not scraped off until the board comes out of storage/until the board is ridden again. Ensures that the base does not dry out.
Ummmm, well you see Singapore doesn't exactly have snowboard shops nor anywhere really where we can get wax done... so is there an alternative solution?

Tags
board, edge, maintenance, rust, storage