Board Rust & Maintenance - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2012, 05:11 AM   #21 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by $hen View Post
Ummmm, well you see Singapore doesn't exactly have snowboard shops nor anywhere really where we can get wax done... so is there an alternative solution?
No need to go to a shop for this: Easy to do yourself with some wax and an iron - lots of videos on Youtube explaining how to do it (or search this site, there is a sticky thread with instructions).
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2012, 05:24 AM   #22 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Ummmm, well you see Singapore doesn't exactly have snowboard shops nor anywhere really where we can get wax done... so is there an alternative solution?
Lite a candle & drip wax around the edges, try not to get to much on your board.

If you need too, put masking tape on the base, beside the edge.

TT

Then I am so close to immortality
timmytard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:45 AM   #23 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmytard View Post
Lite a candle & drip wax around the edges, try not to get to much on your board.

If you need too, put masking tape on the base, beside the edge.

TT
No, do not use candle wax. Most candles contain additives (coloring, scents, flow enhancers, etc.) that are not good for the base.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:14 AM   #24 (permalink)
ETM
Veteran Member

From that pic your board look immaculate.
Buy some wax and a scraper online and get a cheap iron locally, watch some internet vids on how to wax and get to it.
ETM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:00 AM   #25 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hktrdr View Post
No, do not use candle wax. Most candles contain additives (coloring, scents, flow enhancers, etc.) that are not good for the base.
Hence the "If you need too, put masking tape on the base, beside the edge" comment.

I didn't say wax your whole board.

TT

Then I am so close to immortality
timmytard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:12 AM   #26 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmytard View Post
Hence the "If you need too, put masking tape on the base, beside the edge" comment.

I didn't say wax your whole board.

TT
How is he going to wax the base when it is covered in masking tape? Sometimes you make no sense, dude.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:47 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Hey guys.
I have some question regarding maintenance of my board.

Back in April I bought a board from Blank Snowboards ( great brand, boards come in white or black, can customize them. They give tutorials. Go check them out, seriously awesome brand) and I have recently discovered rust. It doesn't seem like a lot but its nearly everywhere scattered on the metal edge side of my board. I read that the rust can go deep, and if its gone to deep then you would have to change the metal edge. So im asking here what I should do, I am getting my dad to buy me one of those snowboard edge sharpeners. And we have sandpaper. Can anyone tell me how to do it. Also I am living in Singapore, which are not the best conditions I bet but I mostly have my aircon on, or my aircon off but my board is in my room. Is this bad? Someone tell me please? I recently got a bag from Burton and am keeping my board in there but I would like any advice I can be given.

Thanks
Shen
Okay, lots of good advice in this thread, but let me make it simple for you. Singapore air is too saline, you know what I'm talking about.

1. Immediately after they are scrubbed clean of rust, just run a house candle against the edges such that the edge leaves a v shaped groove in the candle. This will get wax on the side as well as base metal.

2. Re-coat with candle wax once a month or so, to make sure the edges aren't exposed to the atmosphere.

Go have fun.
davidj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:00 AM   #28 (permalink)

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidj View Post
Okay, lots of good advice in this thread, but let me make it simple for you. Singapore air is too saline, you know what I'm talking about.

1. Immediately after they are scrubbed clean of rust, just run a house candle against the edges such that the edge leaves a v shaped groove in the candle. This will get wax on the side as well as base metal.

2. Re-coat with candle wax once a month or so, to make sure the edges aren't exposed to the atmosphere.

Go have fun.
Sure candle wax is okay? cause its just simple like this candles I have at home like which come in the silver holds. This is a pic of my board and whats wrongish

IMG_3501.jpg

IMG_3503.jpg

IMG_3502.jpg

Last edited by $hen; 08-29-2012 at 08:21 AM.
$hen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:29 AM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Sure candle wax is okay? cause its just simple like this candles I have at home like which come in the silver holds. This is a pic of my board and whats wrongish.
Yes, I'm sure. I'm telling you nothing I wouldn't do on my own boards. Put it this way... you will wear out the board or grow tired of it LONG before candle wax eats through (assuming it even does) your base. If you're that concerned (I wouldn't be), go buy the white tallow candles that have no additives... you know the kind that some folks use for light when there's a power outage.

What's wrongish? Nothing really. You've just got a few scratches on the base... nothing a little hot wax on the base won't cure. If you're into park riding you'll do a lot more to your base in a few days. Don't overthink this.
davidj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:54 AM   #30 (permalink)
Banned

I would still advise against using candle wax on the base. Maybe on the tip and tail (but what is the point then?) but not on the running surface. The problem is not that the candle wax will 'eat through the base', but that the base will absorb some of the additives and might not hold a wax as well in the future.
Easy enough to get a proper wax in Singapore, so why risk it with a candle?

Tags
board, edge, maintenance, rust, storage