NS Proto CT vs Arbor Westmark - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2012, 08:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default NS Proto CT vs Arbor Westmark

Hey guys, I live in AZ and they don't do any demos out here so I need some help. I currently ride a NS SL and love it but have been getting much more into buttering in the flats and hitting jumps and drops, and running through the park more often. I am trying to decide between the NS Proto CT and the Arbor Westmark to add. I was hoping that someone had ridden both and could give me some insight to help me with my decision. Or if you have heard a lot of reviews about one or whatever, anything should help. Thanks!
briancgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2012, 08:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Depends on whether you plan to keep the SL and start a quiver or whether you are looking for a one-board solution. If the former, then the Westmark for sure (Proto is quite similar to the SL). If the latter, it is more of a toss up.
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

I was planning on keeping the SL 161 but was going to go much smaller to a 157 Proto or a 156 Westmark. I guess the appeal of the Proto was that it was so similar to the SL. But that makes sense, why buy basically the same board I have....Thanks
Old 09-02-2012, 10:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

brian, having owned both I don't think going from a 161 sl to a 157 proto is going to be that big of a change. To me not worth owning both unless you maybe went to a 154 proto. How much do you weigh? The proto is not a stiff board but its not nearly a noodle either... great park board/resort board for me but i'm also riding the 160. If I wanted a proto for strictly jumping and jibs I would be on a 154. The biggest advantage for me for buying the proto and selling my sl was that the proto is true twin.. which I love. If you want to stick with NS have you considered an EVO?
idshred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by idshred View Post
brian, having owned both I don't think going from a 161 sl to a 157 proto is going to be that big of a change. To me not worth owning both unless you maybe went to a 154 proto. How much do you weigh? The proto is not a stiff board but its not nearly a noodle either... great park board/resort board for me but i'm also riding the 160. If I wanted a proto for strictly jumping and jibs I would be on a 154. The biggest advantage for me for buying the proto and selling my sl was that the proto is true twin.. which I love. If you want to stick with NS have you considered an EVO?
I am 6' and about 185, boot size 10.5

Originally I wanted to do the same, get the proto for the true twin. I dont want a true park board that is a noodle. I want something that if I want to take some backcountry runs then it wont be an issue. To be completely honest, I was 100 percent going Proto until I started researching again....

The reason i don't like the proto....price and graphics...I know that shouldn't be a huge concern but I am not big into spending 550$ on something that I am not thrilled with. But everything that I read seems to show that I will love the way it rides, in which case I would probably get over the looks.

The Westmark, I have a buddy who loves it and that's his only board but he has had to claim the warranty two years in a row and I seem to read a lot about the quality of the product, seems to not be made as well as the NS. Plus its 150$ cheaper....

If i went with the 157 Proto my thought process was:

true twin- easier switch riding/landing, blunted tips-less swing weight. Everything else basically the same as the board that I love right now....

And the westmark is true twin, pop I am not sure compared to proto??, but its the "true-rocker". I have never ridden one so I am not sure how it rides, if I would notice a big difference from the NS tech...

Does any of that make sense?

I kind of feel like I am getting caught up in all of the technology and it's just confusing me at this point. I am just torn...not sure which route to go.

Last edited by briancgrs; 09-02-2012 at 10:30 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 09-02-2012, 10:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by briancgrs View Post

Does any of that make sense?
yes. It seems like you have thought this out quite a bit! If I were you I think the curiosity of trying a board from a different company with a different camber profile and ~150 dollars cheaper would be more than enough to sway my decision. I do understand why you want the proto based on your joy of riding your sl... the same reason I bought a proto. There are still a couple of online retailers that have the westmark left in a 156 from 2012 which would save you some more cash.....
idshred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by idshred View Post
yes. It seems like you have thought this out quite a bit! If I were you I think the curiosity of trying a board from a different company with a different camber profile and ~150 dollars cheaper would be more than enough to sway my decision. I do understand why you want the proto based on your joy of riding your sl... the same reason I bought a proto. There are still a couple of online retailers that have the westmark left in a 156 from 2012 which would save you some more cash.....
I did see those. haha ya I like to do my research....Thanks for the perspective.