Legacy or SL or Heritage??? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2012, 02:53 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Legacy or SL or Heritage???

Hey there everyone, it's time to buy a new board!

I'm a pretty new rider, only rode 7 times so far, skiied for a few years too.

Anyways, im an intermediate rider I'd say. On my 7th day out did a few small roller jumps and a couple box rails.... I catch on quick.

That said, Im looking at these 3 boards but i have a dilemma!

I'm 6'1 185 pounds and I wear an 11.5 burton ruler boot with that "shrink tech".

Am i good on a regular sized SL with a WW of 253 or do i need to step up to the Legacy (much bigger WW at 264mm)??

Same with heritage I guess, that or the X? Heritage is a little thicker in the wast than the SL (1mm)

I don't really know what type of rider I am, but the rider I want to be is the guy who can have fun on blues, throw some 360's off rollers, a few grabs, bomb some speed. But I also want to step into the world of black diamond and possibly double black diamond.

Right now im riding a rome garage rocker, the first and only black i went down, i couldnt stop to save my life. Planted my board heelside and i just skipped all the way down, almost rag dolled it. So I'd like a board to hit the steeps as well as the trees!

I want to have crazy fun on the blues, but have a good enough board to handle deep pow (live in CO) handle steep terrain, handle trees, etc, etc...

If neither of these boards fit the bill, can ya recommend anything else? Been looking at the gnu riders choice as well, but the WW's on those are funky too. The wide is just HUGE and the regular is small.... same as the SL...

Soooooo thats a long post, any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Jim
kleraudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2012, 03:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I'm guessing that the "shrink tech" is a some type of low profile boot? If so, I doubt you need a wide. I ride Salomon F22s which are a low profile boot and my 10.5s footprint more like the average 9. That rules out the Legacy.

Comparing the SL and Heritage, where are you located? If you're back east, just get the SL. It's a fantastic all-around solution. It's a great one board quiver. It doesn't do anything great, but it does everything decent. The Heritage is slightly more freeride based, but it's still plenty playful. Here in CO, my Heritage is my go-to board. However, if I lived back east, I wouldn't even consider it. Why would I? Hell, if I lived back east, my NS Evo is the only board I'd own.

As far as your first experience on a "black", sounds like you were just in terrain over your head. I hit up blacks and double blacks on the regular here in CO on my Evo. Once you get better at riding, you'll realize that you can take any board anywhere, it's just that you'll better appreciate the nuances of them and understand their place. Can I hit a rail with my Heritage? Sure, but I don't really want to.

Last edited by linvillegorge; 09-06-2012 at 03:02 AM.
linvillegorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:09 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the quick response!

Im out in CO as well, but only been riding 7 times so far, i hear you on the taking any board anywhere, looking forward to that feeling!!

I've read the Heritage may be too stiff for an beginner/intermediate rider.. and will throw you down hard if not paying attn...

but....it may be better board for me in the long run....

Ugh.. i just dont know!!

Oh and on the boots, yea they are supposed to size down 1 size so a footprint of 10.5

Thing is, ive got toe overhang on my rome garage rocker and thats a 264WW . Not sure if im messing something up or what...

Thanks!
Old 09-06-2012, 03:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Honestly, I'd probably just go SL. Ultimately, you don't know what type of riding you're going to gravitate toward. When I first started riding, I thought I'd probably be more attracted to park. That turned out not to be the case at all. I rarely hit the park these days. The SL will be a great board for you to get acclimated to riding with and it can hold it's on anywhere. Jack of all trades, master of none. For the guy who wants to ride all over the mountain and only have one board, it's tough to beat. If I was to add a suggestion to complicated matters, it would be the Proto.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:13 AM   #5 (permalink)

Hey man, ya, last year i said, I want to be in the park. SO I bought a Rome Garage Rocker. It was cheap as dirt for a first board and really soft. Then after "seeing" the park and realizing im almost 30, i probably wont be in the park too much LOL!!

But yea, i like that little board because catching an edge is damn near impossible, helped me link turns start doing small jumps and small rails. I find doing fun stuff on the mountain vs trying to stay alive in the park is more fun to me.

I do want to get into the steeps and the trees, etc....

I guess the SL should be the one

Now here's the other thing. Im in an 11.5 burton boot.

SL or Legacy? I'd rather be on the SL, will toe hang be a problem as I would think there would be a good amt if I go SL. Also don't want to drop 550 on a board thats too small or too wide!!!

And lastly, the SL and Heritage are set back a bit, is it tough to land switch on something like that? Not ready to take off of rollers switch so I can land regular just yet!
Thanks again for the help!
Old 09-06-2012, 09:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleraudio View Post
And lastly, the SL and Heritage are set back a bit, is it tough to land switch on something like that? Not ready to take off of rollers switch so I can land regular just yet!
Thanks again for the help!
Is it tough to land switch? No.

I'm still working on switch riding and for that reason alone I wish I had a true twin but that's because I want to do entire runs switch. Really though I think the setback is only half inch so who knows if I'd even notice..

For short periods of time switch (after landing for example or some ground trick) the setback hasn't been an issue for me.
  • Boyne Mountain: 0
  • Mt Holly: 1
  • Mt. Brighton: 0
  • Caberfae Peaks: 0
  • Crystal Mountain: 0
  • Bittersweet: 0

Last edited by sabatoa; 09-06-2012 at 10:27 AM.
sabatoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:03 AM   #7 (permalink)

I wear size 12 Burton TWC on a Proto CTX (265mm waist). I could EASILY have gone with the regular width (255) without problems.

If you have overhang on your current board, maybe your bindings are not centered width-wise?

It might also depends on your stance width, I ride +15/-15 at 24"...

This post has a pic of my overhang: http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boa...tml#post480858
SimonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
TLN

I prefer wide boards, at least because i got bigger feet, but they provide more float in powder and easier landings. You got quite a big feet, i'd definately go with Legacy. I got one, and that's superb board
TLN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies everyone. So at 11.5 with shrink i am just fine on the regular WW board? I mean its only a 253 in the SL version.... ugh, im right on the cusp size wise and its driving me crazy!

Thanks for the switch advice, glad i can land switch and not have it be an issue.

Simon, i saw your pic, it looks like a reg waist width would be ok.... just not 100% sure on it!! DO NOT want toe drag!

Does toe drag only happen if carving really damn hard? Cuz i cant really do that yet
Old 09-06-2012, 05:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Wiredsport usually comes on around now and points out that you need your toes to go slightly over the edge of your board so that you can get proper edge pressure. They explain it all really well and if you search through their posts im sure you will find it quickly, i think it might even be stickied in the boots area.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote