Recommend a Jib board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2012, 12:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Recommend a Jib board

Hello all,
I am looking for a great jib board that can hold up to the icy conditions of the northeast. I bought a Park Pickle 156 last season and want to downsize even further, maybe to like a 148-152 and make the pickle my all mountain board. I want something even more fun that feels like a straight up skateboard and that will help me advance my riding. I have been told to check out the Burton Nug, but I'd rather stay away from that. I was looking at the NS Evo or capita horoscope but am looking for some feedback or other suggestions. I am 180 lbs, 5'11''.
Thanks for the advice!
jadubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2012, 12:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

Echelon Rounds 152
mrmidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

does this board have any type of edge tech? How does it ride on the rest of the mountain?
Thanks again!
Old 09-08-2012, 03:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

If you're into jibbing edgetech doesnt usually matter you usually detune the sh*t out of them (atleast on the west coast) try getting a standard edge if your trying to bevel it yourself; what type of flex are you looking for (1-10) and do you mind going all rocker? Also what's your budget and do you prefer terrain park jibbing or jibbing in the trees?

Last edited by Timberline; 09-08-2012 at 03:29 PM.
Timberline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 03:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

If you want a skatey strickly jib board I wouldn't be too worried about edge tech. Your not really going to be riding it all over just to and thru the park.
If you want something super loose you should look more towards full rocker boards.
My buddie has DC PBJ Bittner Pro. It's full rocker and has a super loose ride.
If you want something a little more stable the 152 Ride kink is a fun board with its flat to slightly raised tip and tail. The Ride crush is about the same just softer.
Of course with all the people talk about them you know they skate banana and evo will be good boards buy they are just too pricy in my opinion. I would like to have either but I can usually pick up a kink end of the season for $275ish or less.

Academy Propaganda rev - Rome 390 Boss
New for 14-15
Yes the Basic - Now IPO

Last edited by henry06x; 09-08-2012 at 03:46 PM.
henry06x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 03:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned!

Look at Signal and Flow boards, durability and performance in affordable packaging, seem like Niveks (one of our resident industryish types with the knowledge and whatnot) top recc's on a regular basis, he often has some for sale too.
Old 09-08-2012, 04:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

The pickle is rocker too, so no, I dont mind another rocker board. I guess I'm looking for more terrain park jibbing. I don't have any particular budget.

Henry, The Skate banana is very similar to the pickle so I's probably lean towards . I was actually looking at the Kink also. Question- if I want more pop, then is the Kink is better than the Crush?

Snowklinger, I will check out Signal & Flow.. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

The kink will have a little more pop simply because it's slightly stiffer. Neither will have an abundant amount of pop because they do not have any added carbon rods or anything to enhance it. The kink is a fun board. It's not something I'd bomb steeps with or anything but it can handle groomers fine and ride around smaller places.

New for 14-15
Yes the Basic - Now IPO
Old 09-08-2012, 07:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry06x View Post
The kink will have a little more pop simply because it's slightly stiffer. Neither will have an abundant amount of pop because they do not have any added carbon rods or anything to enhance it. The kink is a fun board. It's not something I'd bomb steeps with or anything but it can handle groomers fine and ride around smaller places.
The Kink and Crush differ on rocker and topsheet. That's it. Don't get a Horror unless you want to stress crack it under each foot. Evo is more board than you need if you just want to slide plastic and metal. Banana is garbage all the time.

Echelon Rounds is perfect. Arbor Draft is stiffer for this year and thus usable, Bataleon Disaster is rad, Flow Verve, Salomon Salomonder is always a good bet for some flatness, Signal Park Flat too, Endeavor Colour, Nitro Swindle, Salomon Drift Rocker.

You will be happy with any of those. They all with let you snap out of a jib instead of just mushing off of a rail.

Boards like the Kink and the Weapon are great... in the street. They don't have enough snap for resort jibbing in my opinion.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:48 PM   #10 (permalink)

I'm not trying to be disrespectful or start something Nivek (you are very knowledgeable), but you sure have a sour taste in your mouth towards Mervin. I do agree they are a bit over priced but so are some other brands. They may not be the best boards on the market either but they are certainly not bad. They have earned their reputation and have been a leader in the industry as far as board design is concerned. That's just my opinion tho.

The kink is slightly stiffer. Ride has the crush listed at like a 3 and the link is a 4 or 5. I personally think they beefed up the kink 2 seasons ago. I've had three and my 2011 feels slightly stiffer than my 2007 and 2009 did. May have just been because my old two was well broken in tho. The profile just slightly differs between the two. the crush rockers up about at the binding inserts and the kink rises just before the contact points.

New for 14-15
Yes the Basic - Now IPO