Prot CTX or Machete GT - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2012, 11:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Proto CTX or Machete GT

Hey Guys,

I am in a dillema between Proto CTX 158 and Machete GT 158 wide which to buy. I've been snowboarding for 4 years I consider myself an all-mountain freestlyer. Recenty I have a Revolver 156 that I feel unstable at higher speed and it seems a little soft for me. I have read tons of reviews about Proto it is a perfect board but I think it's rather than an all-mountain park board. About the Machete GT I don't have too many infos.

My specs are 6'2 185 lbs size 12.5 boot.

Any advices would be appreciated. Thanks!

Cheers,
Gabor

PS: sorry for my english

Last edited by jugeen; 09-10-2012 at 11:43 AM. Reason: mistyped title
jugeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2012, 11:30 AM   #2 (permalink)

Hi Gabor,

The NS Revolver is the wide version of the NS Evo, and both of them are primarily park/pipe/freestyle boards.

The proto CTX is actually rated by NS to be the same

If you are looking for a board that you can take into the park and ride the mountain, you may be more interested in the Never Summer Heritage, or its Wider Cousin the Heritage X.

(This was assuming you wanted a NS board!)
tlake2568 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:37 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks tlake2568! I am open to buy other brand I've just thought that Proto must be perfect if 10 out of 10 loves his Proto. I was thinking of buying Heritage but I prefer twin boards.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Esd

Hi Jugeen,

You sound like you are a step ahead of me, I was torn between the Proto and the Revolver as the next board and whilst I wanted something to take up and down the mountain with some friends I wanted to learn ground tricks whilst doing so and the revolver looked perfect for that.

I am not that fast a rider in any event but how did you find the Revolver at speed and whilst it felt unstable was it still acceptable or would you advise against it and how did you the find the board in general on the piste?

I gotta say I am still tempted by the Proto as a single board and if it is harder to learn to press and butter well maybe that isn't such a bad thing in the long run.

Cheers,

Matt.
Esd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

FWIW - I just popped for a 2013 Proto CTX to replace my Jones Mountain Twin. I really like the camber\rocker\camber ride, it's a true twin, and you get a 3 year warranty. PS - I also have a Heritage X, which is close to the Proto in stiffness, and couple of clicks up on the damper for big mountain.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthegood View Post
FWIW - I just popped for a 2013 Proto CTX to replace my Jones Mountain Twin. I really like the camber\rocker\camber ride, it's a true twin, and you get a 3 year warranty. PS - I also have a Heritage X, which is close to the Proto in stiffness, and couple of clicks up on the damper for big mountain.
If you think the Revolver isn't stable enough at speed and you'relooking for more of an "all mountain" board I would stay away from the Proto (as others have mentioned). It's a fine and versatile board but it is not going to perform the way you probably want out of a more dedicated all-mountain board.

The Machete GT might be more up your alley, I didn't get a chance to ride it but Leo did and here's his review with some excerpt quotes:

"When it comes to just pointing and shooting down a run, the Machete GT kills it. Superbly stable and holds an excellent edge. The micro camber throughout the board doesn’t feel as dead as true flat cambered board. The Pop Walls also lend a helping hand in the carving department. They give you that “springy” feel out of turns and edge transitions. I love that feeling. I was pumping out of turns and just having a blast carving on this thing. Edge to edge power on the Machete GT was also very good."

"I think the Machete GT is going to be a fun all-mountain board for you big mountain riders that prefer jumps and drops over boxes and rails."

Repping the world's smallest mountains... 2013-2014 snow days: 48

Mt. Brighton - 13
Hawk Island - 6
Mt. Holly - 5
Mt. Bohemia - 3
Mt. Tolle - 3
Boyne Mountain - 2
Pine Knob - 2
Crystal Mountain - 2
Treetops - 2
Alpine Valley - 2
Caberfae Peaks - 2
Cannonsburg - 1
Urban - 1
Slackcountry - 1
Nub's Nob - 1
Sugar Mountain, NC - 1
Beech Mountain, NC - 1
david_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:16 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thank you guys!

@ESD

I hope I can describe in English what I felt unstable. At higher speed its tip vibrates like a big wave, it chatters too much. I think it is because its soft flex. However its a fantastic board for park and not for hard charging. If you are not afraid higher speed on piste than you need a more stable one. I prefer when fear or adrenalin limits me.

Gabor

PS: Sorry for my bad English