Old vs new boards - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2012, 06:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Old vs new boards

I have only recently started to snowboard and the first time I hit the slopes I had hired a 2010 Burton Hero, I have now purchased an older board it's a 2005 Ride control and I have been told that because of its shape I will find it much harder to ride. I would appreciate some feed back on this topic
Westyballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2012, 07:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger

The Hero you hired was a reverse camber and I think a fairly pronounced one using Burton's V-rocker. This basically means when you lay the board on it's base the waist/center of the board would be the low point touching the ground and the nose and tail are elevated.

The '05 Ride you bought is definitely a traditional camber board which means when you lay it on the ground, the contact points (a few inches inside the nose/tail tip) will be resting on the ground, and the waist/center of the board elevated slightly.

What you've heard is generally true; the "rocker" or reverse camber boards tend to be looser and more forgiving and this generally translates to "easier" to ride, especially on newer or inexperienced riders.

ALL THAT SAID...

Pretty much anyone who's been riding for more than 3 or 4 years learned to ride on a regular camber board because that's all there was until just a few seasons ago really. Will there be a learning curve for you? Probably yeah it will take a few days to get used to a little extra "bite" from the edges, but if you've got the basics and fundamentals down already, you will survive and you'll learn to adapt to it, and probably come out a better rider in the long run.

Repping the world's smallest mountains... 2013-2014 snow days: 42

Mt. Brighton - 13
Mt. Holly - 5
Hawk Island - 3
Mt. Bohemia - 3
Mt. Tolle - 3
Pine Knob - 2
Crystal Mountain - 2
Treetops - 2
Alpine Valley - 2
Caberfae Peaks - 2
Urban - 1
Slackcountry - 1
Boyne Mountain - 1
Sugar Mountain, NC - 1
Beech Mountain, NC - 1
david_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the info, Are all new boards rockers now or do they still make the older shape and is there any benefit to this older shape
Westyballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
ETM
Veteran Member

Yeah there is a benefit to camber, edge hold at speed. There are plenty of us who still prefer traditional camber.
ETM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westyballs View Post
Thanks for the info, Are all new boards rockers now or do they still make the older shape and is there any benefit to this older shape
There's a handful of general camber "shapes" out there today, most companies offer boards in several of them, although most individual boards will only be available in one camber style, most companies offer multiple camber styles.

In addition to the traditional camber and full rocker described previously, there are also
  • "flat" boards which are as you would expect, basically flat between the contact points with only elevation on nose/tail.
  • hybrid rocker - these go by all sorts of names: mustache rocker, c2btx, ec2btx, c2b5x, R+C, camrock, etc., but basically it's a blend of rocker and camber, there's a million different variations that are all a little different some have camber in the middle (Rossi, Signal, Ride, Salomon?) and rocker towards the tips, others have rocker in the middle and camber towards the tips (Never Summer, Lib/Gnu/Roxy)

pros and cons to all of them.

unfortunately especially for beginner riders, the variation in all these things is just one more thing that makes buying your first board confusing

Repping the world's smallest mountains... 2013-2014 snow days: 42

Mt. Brighton - 13
Mt. Holly - 5
Hawk Island - 3
Mt. Bohemia - 3
Mt. Tolle - 3
Pine Knob - 2
Crystal Mountain - 2
Treetops - 2
Alpine Valley - 2
Caberfae Peaks - 2
Urban - 1
Slackcountry - 1
Boyne Mountain - 1
Sugar Mountain, NC - 1
Beech Mountain, NC - 1

Last edited by david_z; 09-12-2012 at 08:58 AM. Reason: woops
david_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I have a camber board from 2006, and a hybrid rocker thing-a-magick from last year. They both have uses. I still like camber better.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:54 AM   #7 (permalink)

I bought my first board in 04(?) after learning on crappy rentals and have been riding it up until last season. Itís a Burton BMC56 which is a pretty stiff cambered board. As far as I can tell, it was built to go really fast and be stable when it does. It has a place in my heart because its Ėstill- fast enough to keep up with my friend who rides a í10 Custom.

I learned on rentals that were barely maintained, waaaay too tall and one of them was even a wide! The BMC just seemed to take off where the rentals just kinda coasted. When I got BMC, I crashed, fell and lost control sometimes. BUT, the fundamentals were the same.

You know how to carve, you know how to control the board when youíre not at warp speed. Youíll figure out where to lean, where to press and when to do it all. Itíll be different from the one you learned because itís a different board. Forget about the camber stuff. If that í05 Ride is the one you want to ride this season then call it yours and commit to it.

Learn to control it going a little faster every time, try not to get frustrated with the experience of learning it. Before you know it, youíll have made the adjustment and itíll be as routine as anything else youíve ever done.

Dont buy into "it's too advanced for you" bs you see sometimes. Learn to ride it and become the advanced rider...you want to keep up with your friends right?
gakbar22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:17 AM   #8 (permalink)
Resident poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westyballs View Post
.... I have been told that because of its shape I will find it much harder to ride. I would appreciate some feed back on this topic
Much harder to ride...no....abit more punishing when learning....perhaps. Take a lesson or three.... and don't worry about it. I actually like traditional camber for much of my riding, do not like rocker...and sold it and the hybrid is has some advantages for some things....but don't worry about it you are not there skill wise for it to matter.

If you like to go fast and snap edge to edge then nothing does it better than an advanced stiffy cambered.