REI's board repair and wax - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2012, 10:20 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default REI's board repair and wax

My board from last season is needing some repair and I was wondering if anyone knew of any good places in the Inland Empire area that were good. I saw REI offers this during the season.

I bought my board last season for around $100. It was one of Big 5's sale items. It's been great to beat up as I learned to snowboard last season. I'm looking into getting a newer and better board next month. Most likely the Lib Tech TRS. But, I'd like to keep this board to loan out to my friends or fam if they decide to take on the sport. I also could use this board to beat up when conditions aren't so great.

Any input on repair as far as cost, reccomendations for places and whether it'll be worth it overall will be greaatly appreciately. BTW, I'm mainly looking into a getting my board tuned and possibly waxed. There are a groves from rocks in the bottom. but they run lengthwise, so I'm not sure if cost of repair is worth the improvement.
cm4short is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2012, 10:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Resident poet

Read the gen maintiance and wax/tuning threads in the above stickies and diy and save $ for ridin on the hill. You can get the file in a your dad's garage and use your mom's canning wax and her clothes iron.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathfuldeity View Post
Read the gen maintiance and wax/tuning threads in the above stickies and diy and save $ for ridin on the hill. You can get the file in a your dad's garage and use your mom's canning wax and her clothes iron.
Yup, that's all you need.

TT

Then I am so close to immortality
timmytard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

I've used REI to wax and tune a couple of boards (I honestly can't say that I have the time or inclination to do it myself).

As a member you save a few bucks and what I appreciated was that when I wasn't happy, they kept at it until I was.
sangsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned!

I'm not a huge DIY'er at all, but there is something cathartic and spiritual about waxing my own boards. If you ride seriously, waxing will become second nature. Serious repair I certainly do not bother with, hell I don't even fuck with my rails other than detuning, but waxing is easy, fun, and not worth paying someone else to do.

Some people even wax their boards in their living room on plastic or newspaper.

You can get a whole setup for 30 waxes for less than a $30 tuneup:

$10-15 Walmart Iron

$5-10 Wax

$0-10 plexiglass scraper. If you're resourceful, you can find a nice scraper from a random piece of plastic if its straight/stiff/right size.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmytard View Post
Yup, that's all you need.

TT
Ok, well i'm sure the waxing it easy. But, it seems filing the board down has a lil more risk because you can't undo what you've already done. I was only considering it if it was in a decent price range. Anyone know about how much it'd cost for just that?
Old 09-14-2012, 02:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned!

10-20 bucks for a basic edge tune, just go to a small mom n pop shop. The guy in Idaho springs at the tiny little shack by the highway will do it for $5 and wax it too!
Old 09-14-2012, 02:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowklinger View Post
10-20 bucks for a basic edge tune, just go to a small mom n pop shop. The guy in Idaho springs at the tiny little shack by the highway will do it for $5 and wax it too!
That's it. That's not bad at all. I have no idea where Idaho Springs is, but I guess that's what Google Maps is for.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Where at in the Inland Empire are you? If you're in Spokane area there are several local shops that do base repairs and tune.
RedRomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangsters View Post
I've used REI to wax and tune a couple of boards (I honestly can't say that I have the time or inclination to do it myself).

As a member you save a few bucks and what I appreciated was that when I wasn't happy, they kept at it until I was.
Nice to know. I guess I might use them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRomo View Post
Where at in the Inland Empire are you? If you're in Spokane area there are several local shops that do base repairs and tune.
I live in Moreno Valley. It's right next to Riverside. I get the feeling that we're not talking about the same IE.

And thanks for the feedback. I may just wax myself. I've done it before, but I felt I wasn;t doiing it right. After watching youtube and reading that guide, I feel comfortable doing the waxing myself now. But, I still may try and get the edges done just because they look fairly jagged.

But you guys have been serius help, so thanks. And any additional input is still appreciated... And kinda keeps me sane until this snow falls.