Board for Hagrid: PT. 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2012, 01:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Board for Hagrid: PT. 2

Alright guys, so it looks like this winter I'll be seeing Ice. And lots of it. Going to Europe for a couple weeks, so it doesn't look to be the oh-so-wonderful powder my Venture eats up.

Given that absolute debacle that my last thread turned into, I'd first off like to apologize to anyone who had their feelings hurt/felt like I disrespected them and/or their advice or anything of that ilk. I apologize.

This time I come in with very few preconceptions. All of my previous research was on humongous powder boards. Now I'm looking for something different.

I really liked the stiffness of the Venture. The big soft nose was very good in powder, but the overall stiffness of the board underfoot was very enjoyable to me. It matched very well to my riding style. I'm looking for a board that will hold an edge well on ice, not so much powder float as I have the Venture for that.

Not really looking to do much in the park at all. Maybe as I progress and get over my fear of head injuries some jumps, but I'm not into jibbing at all. Looking to do a good amount of carving and just in general going quick and having fun.

Just out of what I remember reading and a little bit of research now, these are some boards I'm thinking about:

Rossi Experience (168?)
NS Cobra X
NS Heritage X
Arbor A-frame
.....?

I'm about 6' 230# depending on the day. Boot size is a 12.5/13

Bindings I'm looking at using are my old 2012 Raiden Machines. I could pick up a new pair of bindings, but I don't really see a reason to as I don't plan on taking my Venture to Europe with me.

I need a new pair of boots, looking to go Salomon Malamute for that.

I'd really really really appreciate any help you guys can give me on a solid all-mountain board for ice.
MrOverkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2012, 02:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Maybe the Gnu Billy Goat? It has magne-traction and stiffer flex pattern to it, but if you come across powder the hybrid shape has got you covered.

Just a suggestion.
blunted_nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

Dude I read the entire "Riding a 181" thread. So which of those boards have you already picked?
Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

In direct reply: None.

In Indirect reply: Please leave. I don't want another debacle on my hands, I legitimately need advice on a board and have little to no clue what has changed since I last did any significant amount of research, and I really don't have the time to do any research this time around (New school, have almost no time). All that I know is that Flow decided its snowboards weren't closely enough related to Pamela Anderson for their tastes, and a soldier started a board company.

Couple boards I left off the original list:

Venture Zephyr
Echelon Flight Pattern

@blunted nose: I left that one out, I should consider it. I'm mildly wary of Mervin boards due to the non-full wrap edges, as well as a general perception of inferiority that I got the last time around, but that could be an opinion based on biased reports and/or jaded memories. I remember Snowolf liked the Billy Goat though, so I'll definitely have to go check it out.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOverkill View Post
In direct reply: None.

In Indirect reply: Please leave.
Lol, I'm just ballbustin' man. Good luck on your next board, I hope you like it.

Also your written skills are exceptional. Bosslike even.

Last edited by Frozen; 09-15-2012 at 06:18 PM. Reason: wrote bullbustin' instead of ballbustin'
Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the clarification and compliments man.

Take it easy.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

[/QUOTE]
@blunted nose: I left that one out, I should consider it. I'm mildly wary of Mervin boards due to the non-full wrap edges, as well as a general perception of inferiority that I got the last time around, but that could be an opinion based on biased reports and/or jaded memories. I remember Snowolf liked the Billy Goat though, so I'll definitely have to go check it out.[/QUOTE]

Ehh, if Travis rides one it has to be good right?!?

Honestly, you wont break it unless you do it on purpose.
blunted_nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

Will definitely have to throw that into the mix as well.

If anyone has any insight into what I might pick one board over the others for, or why I may want to avoid a board, please let me know.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You failed to mention your budget.
bseracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:33 PM   #10 (permalink)

My mistake.

I guess I thought that the Venture, NS, and Arbor boards indicated that the budget was fairly free.

If I can get one that rips hard for cheap, that would be awesome, but I'm willing to pay more money for a recognizable increase in performance and durability.