Relatively new rider/NS Proto opinions - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2012, 04:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Relatively new rider/NS Proto opinions

Hey all, I posted this in the equipment review thread but it hasn't been touched in a few months so I wanted to post here as well.

I'm new and wanting some input. I moved to Denver and got 8 days in last year, prior to that, it had been 12 years since I had been on a board.

I bought a season pass this year and I'm looking for a different board. Last year, I rode a GNU Park Pickle 153 (it always felt a little squirrely).

I'm 5'9", 170-178 lbs, size 9 boot. I just bought last season's Nike Kaijus. I'm looking at NS boards and I really want to pull the trigger on the Proto CT 157.

Please give me your thoughts.

Here's what I like: I like to go all over the mountain, I like to race with friends, I really want learn to butter/jib this year, I'll do a little park riding, very small jumps and some rails, and definitely some woods riding.

I doubt it matters but I have the ride rodeo bindings from last year. Because I'm still learning, I don't know how to rate them. They held my foot in but I'd usually have to ratchet them down at the beginning of a new run.

I'm looking forward to opening day!
biocmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2012, 04:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

If you use the search term "Proto" in this forum you will find that it is an absolute favorite here. I used to own one last season and I can confirm it is a great board. It does pretty much do anything you want it to. In my opinion it isn't a natural butter board though. You'll need some experience to make it bend the way you want it to but it is absolutely doable. If you put an emphasis on buttering consider an Evo. Also a great board but it doesn't have the carbonium top sheet which is pretty awesome on the Proto.
Basti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks Basti, I've done the search. It sounds like everything I want but I was hoping someone with more experience could tell me if I made the right choice?

I was hoping a rep or someone who's close to my size would tell me what they are doing.

Thanks again
Old 09-17-2012, 06:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned!

The proto is for sending 60 footers...it's maybe a favorite around here, but it's not exactly a beginner's board.

I'd send you to the Evo or SL or even Heritage....that's just me with my own hindsight...I'm getting an Evo this year...
Old 09-17-2012, 08:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowklinger View Post
The proto is for sending 60 footers...it's maybe a favorite around here, but it's not exactly a beginner's board.

I'd send you to the Evo or SL or even Heritage....that's just me with my own hindsight...I'm getting an Evo this year...
Did you use the Proto last year? How do you ride?
Old 09-17-2012, 08:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned!

All mountain fun. Up to 30 footers in the park. Sure the proto will bomb faster, but the more I ride, the less I'm into that. The Evo is going to do everything I want, easier.

Yea I rode the Proto last year, don't get me wrong, I fuckin love the thing, but I have a feeling I'm gonna love this Evo as much if not more. It tossed me switch a couple times (edge), it likes to turn dynamic, but whatever, the Evo is pretty much shaped the same in that regard, if more forgiving in the tips.

With my weight #175, maybe 165 next month, I feel like I will be able to produce more boost out of the proto, which I could ollie to the moon, but hopefully the Evo will be solid enough to pop -I've heard it does have nice pop...

I'm still curious to ride this twin RC profile in real pow as last year provided no opportunities. I'm going to bring both boards to Silverton and see if I struggle compared to my buddy on his Ride HighLife. Dreampow seems to enjoy his proto in significant pow, and when we get it, ours tends to be steeper....
Old 09-17-2012, 09:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowklinger View Post

I think the Proto is fine as a board for beginners - just a complete overkill/bit of a waste, as a new rider will probably not utilize the board to its potential or be able to take advantage of all its benefits.
Agree the Evo is an excellent choice for beginners - soft and forgiving enough to learn the basics but enough board for some serious riding (incidentally it is fantastic in the trees). SL is a pretty good choice, too.
Don't think I would recommend a Heritage to a beginner, though - certainly not over a Proto.

Last edited by hktrdr; 02-18-2013 at 05:44 AM.
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:10 PM   #8 (permalink)

hmmm, you have me thinking I should send it back and switch it out for the evo.

I'm not bombing often, we'll race but I don't have the skill to take it straight out the gate. I don't hit huge jumps either. I like to have fun at a moderate pace, I like to push it on occasion but I'll never be hitting big stuff because I'm too old to afford an injury

Like I said, I want to learn to butter/jib this year. I'm a big fan of all the asian videos I've seen and their ground tricks. I like to hit the woods as well.

If you still think the EVO is the one for me, I'll switch it out.

You running a 157?
Old 09-17-2012, 09:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned!

I only mentioned the Heritage for the speed freak in someone. I would imagine its a little more stable than the Proto.

Yea its not that beginners can't ride these boards, they can ride any board. I think the Evo/SL are just better choices as we all seem to agree.

Protos and Heritages are PRETTY with that Carbonium but its amazing how skis on top of my board affect it alot less than the rocks under it....

'54s on both.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hktrdr View Post
I think the Proro is fine as a board for beginners - just a complete overkill/bit of a waste, as a new rider will probably not utilize the board to its potential or be able to take advantage of all its benefits.
Agree the Evo is an excellent choice for beginners - soft and forgiving enough to learn the basics but enough board for some serious riding (incidentally it is fantastic in the trees). SL is a pretty good choice, too.
Don't think I would recommend a Heritage to a beginner, though - certainly not over a Proto.
Thanks HKtrder. I want some confidence in this decision because I'm not the type to buy multiple boards through a season. I'll stick with the board once I put it in the snow. You think a 157 works for someone with my stats?