Any experience with the new Burton File Guide? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2012, 07:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Burton File Guide, any experience?

Hello guys. I have been looking at filing my board edges lately. I would like to get my edges done before the next season (round December) hence I think I have ample time to consider which to buy at this stage.

I am aware there are a number of brands out there. Somehow I am interested in knowing more about the newer Burton File Guide.

As I have read from some of the reviews of the old Burton file guide (the rectangular one), it only files the SIDE edge but not the BASE edge. Despite the limitations, the reviews I have come across are generally favorable, saying it's accurate and solidly built ......

The newer Burton File Guide (the pear-shaped one) is supposed to file both the SIDE and BASE edges. Seriously it's not really new as it's been around for some 2 years.

It looks like a decent instrument. Somehow I have not been able to find any reviews on this file guide. Does anyone here have any experience on this newer Burton File Guide?

Thank you very much.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Burton old fileguide.jpg (14.9 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Burton new fileguide.jpg (24.2 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by ig88; 09-19-2012 at 10:51 PM.
ig88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2012, 07:18 AM   #2 (permalink)

How come my 2 picture attachments could not appear as they are, but could only be viewed after clicking their respective links?

Last edited by ig88; 09-19-2012 at 08:57 AM.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ig88 View Post
How come my 2 picture attachments could not appear as they, but could only be viewed after clicking their respective links?
I don't know but here is what I do with pictures.

1. Get a photobucket account (it's free and minimal hassle signing up)
2. Upload your pics there
3. scroll your cursor over the pic and this thing will come up that has "IMG code" and then some text after it.
4. Copy that text and paste it straight into your post.
5. Poutanen show'd me how to do that so blame him if it fucks up.
Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:03 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen View Post
I don't know but here is what I do with pictures.

1. Get a photobucket account (it's free and minimal hassle signing up)
2. Upload your pics there
3. scroll your cursor over the pic and this thing will come up that has "IMG code" and then some text after it.
4. Copy that text and paste it straight into your post.
5. Poutanen show'd me how to do that so blame him if it fucks up.
Thanks Frozen. I think I know how to post from photobucket as I have done that in another forum. But somehow this thread is not my first time posting pictures in this forum and it wasn't like this (You could actually see the picture I attached without having to click any links). I wonder if it's because there is more than one picture hence it becomes what it is like now in this thread.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:19 AM   #5 (permalink)

This post is posting pictures from photobucket. I think it's easier to understand if both both pictures are displayed at the same time.

Hello guys. I have been looking at filing my board edges lately. I would like to get my edges done before the next season (round December) hence I think I have ample time to consider which to buy at this stage.

I am aware there are a number of brands out there. Somehow I am interested in knowing more about the newer Burton File Guide.

As I have read from some of the reviews of the old Burton file guide (the rectangular one), it only files the SIDE edge but not the BASE edge. Despite the limitations, the reviews I have come across are generally favorable, saying it's accurate and solidly built ......

The newer Burton File Guide (the pear-shaped one) is supposed to file both the SIDE and BASE edges. Seriously it's not really new as it's been around for some 2 years.

It looks like a decent instrument. Somehow I have not been able to find any reviews on this file guide. Does anyone here have any experience on this newer Burton File Guide?

Thank you very much.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:29 AM   #6 (permalink)

Have it.

My previous one dated back from the '90s and could only do side, so the new one is an improvement.

It does side and base with 0.5 deg. increments I think... Not the highest tech intrument but it gets the job done for home use.
SimonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:32 AM   #7 (permalink)

No experience with the Burton but I bought this kit during the spring. Love it, would buy again, and definitely recommend.

Base-Side Bevel File Guide SKS Multi Tool + 5 DMT diamond stones with file
Old 09-19-2012, 11:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
Have it.

My previous one dated back from the '90s and could only do side, so the new one is an improvement.

It does side and base with 0.5 deg. increments I think... Not the highest tech intrument but it gets the job done for home use.
Yes the new one could do both the side and base. But there don't seem to be any reviews or testimonials out there for the new one. I suppose you are pretty satisfied with your (older version) of Burton file guide. Cheers SimonB.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kapn.K

No experience with the Burton but I bought this kit during the spring. Love it, would buy again, and definitely recommend.
Thanks Kapn.K. Your file guide is more expensive but it also comes with 5 diamond stones. It looks great. Do you get to use all 5 of those diamond stones? Thanks Kapn.k for kindly posting the link as well.

It looks like various sellers are doing various packages. The link you provided is doing a file guide plus 5 diamond stones, selling at $80. Whereas Amazon is selling the file guide at $44 with just one file included. You have the option of buying an extra 3 diamond stones at $18.

Amazon.com: Base-Side Bevel File Guide SKS Multi Tool (includes file): Sports & Outdoors

The following pictures are from the above site. If posting these pictures violate forum rules, would the mods please kindly delete the pictures.

Cheers Kapn.K.

Now SimonB and Kapn.K, since I have never owned a file guide myself, but I do have some expectations from these gadgets, does tuning/ filing the side and base edges make a very notable difference to edge hold and riding in general?

Last edited by ig88; 09-19-2012 at 11:33 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:07 AM   #9 (permalink)

5 diamonds and a file. 6 total. The file eats steel! It was my first attempt. Bought it on a recommendation along with some Hertel Wax and everything came out great. Very easy to figure out.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:05 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapn.K View Post
5 diamonds and a file. 6 total. The file eats steel! It was my first attempt. Bought it on a recommendation along with some Hertel Wax and everything came out great. Very easy to figure out.
Thanks Kapn.K, would you use one of those 5 diamond stones to remove rust that builds up on the edges? Are 5 diamond stones plus 1 file really needed to get the job done. Would love to hear your elaborations. Cheers.