Choosing a board: NS SL, Lib tech TRS/Attack Banana - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 08:19 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkypinks View Post
Uh ohes, looks like everyone's lookin for the Proto CT at the show tmrw.. personally I'd rather a 2012 model cuz its cheaper.. something tells me they will have 0. From what I've been reading on the forums.. don't both the proto and SL fare well in powder?
Good luck with that. 2012 Proto sold out pretty much everywhere, so it will not be easy to find one (depending on size) - and if you do it is not going to be discounted much/at all (no reason for seller to do so - 2012 is the same board as 2013 and there are plenty of people who want to buy it).
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2012, 08:48 PM   #12 (permalink)

Lol ill still keep my fingers crossed
Cormier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:16 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowklinger View Post
150lbs size 11s. Problem is that if you go to 152 you may just risk too much overhang and may need a wide, but the perfect midwide for you like and SL or Blacklist comes in 156 and 154 respectively, which at those lengths, you may not need a wide.

As such this leads me to recommend to you the NS Proto CTX 152. Now this is just an example, but this is a nice short board that has enough beef for you to take just about anywhere, and is the proper length and width for your height and feets.

Just make sure when considering other wide boards at short lengths to not get sucked into a noodely park board, as most of the options you find will lean to toward that bent.
Unless they changed it the SL comes in 151, 153, 155, 158, 161...

To the OP I'm 6'0 135-140 lbs, wear size 11 shoes but my boots are only 9's. I have the 155 SL and I think it would be a perfect size for what your trying to do, sometimes i wish mine was a little shorter to make bigger spins easier but really dont need it at all, plus I love the trees and just bombing down runs. If your boots are 11 I would bring them with you and see how they fit on the board but I think you should be fine.
Skinny Bam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:14 PM   #14 (permalink)

Ya if I was getting the SL it would be a 155. It's definitely on the table it's good to hear so many good things

You still manage to have a bit of fun on it eh? I wanted the Proto for the playful factor but really I'm probably overstating the difference between it and the SL
Old 10-10-2012, 10:25 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormier View Post
Ya if I was getting the SL it would be a 155. It's definitely on the table it's good to hear so many good things

You still manage to have a bit of fun on it eh? I wanted the Proto for the playful factor but really I'm probably overstating the difference between it and the SL
Oh yea, tons of pop, butters are pretty effortless, floats amazing in powder and awesome stability when hauling ass.

All that being said I haven't rode the Proto yet but its at the top of the list for my next board, mainly because I ride a lot of park. I have heard it can get a little shady at high speeds but not too bad.
Skinny Bam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:42 AM   #16 (permalink)

I've been looking at SLs online non-stop of course and I think it's interesting that there's so many colour options! Lol and they look like completely different designs between even the same years model....

This is gonna be interesting
Old 10-11-2012, 11:17 AM   #17 (permalink)

ME TOO lol SL is very tempting.. anybody personally try SL vs Proto?
Pinkypinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:22 AM   #18 (permalink)

I have and I definitely prefer the proto in the park. It's a tossup for the rest of the hill, but I would get the proto
a bag of it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:37 AM   #19 (permalink)

I've read some SL vs Proto threads-- it all seems pretty comparable

SL is slightly setback in stance and sidecut, with a slightly narrower tail, Proto is true twin

SL is more damp, Proto gives you some more feel for park stuff

Both have around the same stiffness with the Proto being slightly less

I believe Proto has more pop but I've heard they're comparable and I know the SL got a bit more pop for 12/13 so negligible difference

Proto has blunted tip and tail as well...

SL has soooo many different colours available, and I have the feeling holds its edge a bit better on hardback or ice that we have out here.... Would be nicer to take to a big mountain trip too

..... But the Proto has the fu(kin sick carbonium topsheet

All in all, I'd leave tonight with either of these two boards feeling like a champ lol

Here's a good comparison
http://www.reride.co.uk/blog/2011/11...-proto-evo-sl/

Last edited by Cormier; 10-11-2012 at 11:43 AM.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:04 PM   #20 (permalink)

Savage!!! I started on an Anagram (full camber) 158 and the thing nearly killed me!!! And I'm 180lbs!! Then I got a 156 skate banana (09/10 i think) which revolutionised my riding! Then I got a Proto which I adore!! I rode the very same skate banana the other day at the dome after getting off the Evo. It showed me how much ... Better ...vario grip is compared to the older magnetraction - although they have lots of different ones now which are supposed to be a lot less aggressive. Has no one mentioned Arbor Blacklist? It's mid wide and highly regarded.