Choosing a board: NS SL, Lib tech TRS/Attack Banana - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2012, 03:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Mississauga, ON
Posts: 59
Default Choosing a board: NS SL, Lib tech TRS/Attack Banana

Hey guys -- another board choosing thread! Thanks in advance for the help, I've read tons of threads on here but am looking foreword to opinions for me specifically

I'm 6', around 150lbs (real lanky f'er). Size 11 boots. Been riding for 3 seasons now, had some big mountain time at Revi in BC which really helped improve my freeride ability. I consider myself intermediate.

I'm trying to narrow my focus in terms of what stuff I wanna be hitting-- I love the groomers and natural features, light glades and last year I started dabbling in the park. That said, I don't really want to live in the park or anything, but a board that can still hit a few boxes would be ideal, not the priority though.

We gets tons of ice here regularly, so that is definitely a factor. Pow ability doesnt have to be great, if I do another big mountain trip I'll most likely rent a powder board -- and this season i think the biggest I may see is tremblant or vermont.

I'm currently on a K2 anagram 159W with Burton Cartel Re:Flex bindings and Burton Ion boots (I know, I know, the ions are super comfy and the cartels were half price)

I always thought the anagram was a big big and unwieldy for me and I always wanted something smaller/regular width. It was a good board to learn on, but I want something that can take my ability further.

The main boards that I have been looking at:

1. Libtech TRS. I a sucker for libtech stuff, love it. I've heard the TRS magne-traction is good on the ice. What else to say? Nothing but good things about this board. Heard about the TNT base, not too worried I'm sure it's fine.

2. Libtech Attack Banana. Little confused about this one, I've heard mixed things about its flex and ability compared to the TRS. Libtech says its more freestyle than the TRS with less magne-traction, but I've also heard its stiffer and more of a bomber? Unsure on the specifics but it looks like an awesome ride. I also checked out the Banana Magic, it has gotten rave reviews as well but I'm sure not 100% on the breakdown between the three boards

3. Never summer SL. After looking through this site I came across the NS boards. I'll be honest I prefer the libtech graphics if it comes down to that. I'm also not sure of the availability of this board at the ski/snowboard show I plan to buy at in early Oct. I looked at the heritage, but think that may be a bit much and don't know about the icy performance of either really. Also, with size 11 boots would I be able to be o the SL or would I have to step into a Legacy?

I appreciate any opinions anyone has to offer! Also open to other suggestions! I looked at the Arbor selection including the element and coda, and some of the GNU and Rome products. Nothing is off the table as of yet!

Last edited by Cormier; 09-19-2012 at 06:18 PM.
Cormier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-19-2012, 08:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Ups_Biker33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 26
Default

I was in the same situation as you. I had a 2008 burton blunt wide 158. I'm also 150ish and 6 ft tall with size 11 feet. I picked up a never summer sl 2012 151 for 349$. I talked to a never summer rep and at its waist of 24.3 they said it will be just fine with my boot size. The type of riding you do is identical to mine, I've heard the sl does it all.
Ups_Biker33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Zombaco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: CA
Posts: 174
Default

These were some of the boards I looked at last year. I like to bomb & cruise groomers, hit natural and park jumps, charge off piste in the chunder, dodge trees and ride in powder. I've been riding an 07 gnu cambered board.

I demoed the Attack Banana (in a 156) and the SL (in a 158) for a day each last season. I like both of the boards a lot, but I give the slight edge to the Attack Banana. I give the slight nod to the AB because it's lighter, stiffer, has more pop, better high speed stability and initiates turns better than the SL, at least for me and my riding style. And not that the SL was any slouch, it destroyed the chopped up off piste garbage like it was nothing, and had very good turn initiation, and pop as well, I just thought the AB was better. Both performed well in the trees and had excellent edge hold. No powder on those two days I demoed, so I can't speak about their performance in the poo. Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong with either of these boards. The ease of turning with both of these has me sold on the hybrid rocker / camber designs.

Because of unforseen circumstances, I wasn't able to pick up the AB I was sold on last year. So this season I've opened up my search to include the TRS, Gnu Billy Goat, Smokin Superpark, Yes Pick Your Line, NS Cobra, and more. As I also plan to start riding in the backcountry too. Since Lib rates the AB a half tick stiffer than the TRS, it may be similar to the differences I felt between the AB and the SL. The TRS may be more grippy as it's magnetraction is significantly more aggressive than the AB. As for the rest of those boards I've mentioned, I've heard good things about them, but I have no first had knowledge.

Hope that helps ya. Good luck in your search, and if you can demo- Do it!
Zombaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
jdang307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,805
Default

159 seems real long for you. I think 153-155 is perfect.
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned!
 
snowklinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: L-Town
Posts: 4,837
Default

150lbs size 11s. Problem is that if you go to 152 you may just risk too much overhang and may need a wide, but the perfect midwide for you like and SL or Blacklist comes in 156 and 154 respectively, which at those lengths, you may not need a wide.

As such this leads me to recommend to you the NS Proto CTX 152. Now this is just an example, but this is a nice short board that has enough beef for you to take just about anywhere, and is the proper length and width for your height and feets.

Just make sure when considering other wide boards at short lengths to not get sucked into a noodely park board, as most of the options you find will lean to toward that bent.
__________________
Support Local Business
"Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!" - Ash
snowklinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Mississauga, ON
Posts: 59
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ups_Biker33 View Post
I was in the same situation as you. I had a 2008 burton blunt wide 158. I'm also 150ish and 6 ft tall with size 11 feet. I picked up a never summer sl 2012 151 for 349$. I talked to a never summer rep and at its waist of 24.3 they said it will be just fine with my boot size. The type of riding you do is identical to mine, I've heard the sl does it all.
jkz good coincidence. Thats an awesome price or that board eh. I was thinking a bit longer than 151 but its good to know that at that small its still ok with size 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombaco View Post
These were some of the boards I looked at last year. I like to bomb & cruise groomers, hit natural and park jumps, charge off piste in the chunder, dodge trees and ride in powder. I've been riding an 07 gnu cambered board.

I demoed the Attack Banana (in a 156) and the SL (in a 158) for a day each last season. I like both of the boards a lot, but I give the slight edge to the Attack Banana. I give the slight nod to the AB because it's lighter, stiffer, has more pop, better high speed stability and initiates turns better than the SL, at least for me and my riding style. And not that the SL was any slouch, it destroyed the chopped up off piste garbage like it was nothing, and had very good turn initiation, and pop as well, I just thought the AB was better. Both performed well in the trees and had excellent edge hold. No powder on those two days I demoed, so I can't speak about their performance in the poo. Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong with either of these boards. The ease of turning with both of these has me sold on the hybrid rocker / camber designs.

Because of unforseen circumstances, I wasn't able to pick up the AB I was sold on last year. So this season I've opened up my search to include the TRS, Gnu Billy Goat, Smokin Superpark, Yes Pick Your Line, NS Cobra, and more. As I also plan to start riding in the backcountry too. Since Lib rates the AB a half tick stiffer than the TRS, it may be similar to the differences I felt between the AB and the SL. The TRS may be more grippy as it's magnetraction is significantly more aggressive than the AB. As for the rest of those boards I've mentioned, I've heard good things about them, but I have no first had knowledge.

Hope that helps ya. Good luck in your search, and if you can demo- Do it!
Hm ya the AB sounds like an awesome board -- Im not sure if I should be aiming for the more grippy MTX of the TRS to be prepared for icy conditions, or if the AB will still have enough traction to avoid wash out

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdang307 View Post
159 seems real long for you. I think 153-155 is perfect.
You're correct in that! I was thinking around 155 as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowklinger View Post
150lbs size 11s. Problem is that if you go to 152 you may just risk too much overhang and may need a wide, but the perfect midwide for you like and SL or Blacklist comes in 156 and 154 respectively, which at those lengths, you may not need a wide.

As such this leads me to recommend to you the NS Proto CTX 152. Now this is just an example, but this is a nice short board that has enough beef for you to take just about anywhere, and is the proper length and width for your height and feets.

Just make sure when considering other wide boards at short lengths to not get sucked into a noodely park board, as most of the options you find will lean to toward that bent.
Took a look at the proto, hadn't come across it before it looks really nice! I guess overall I've been a little overwhelmed at the wide variety of models out there now, so many seem so similar -- really trying to avoid buyers remorse :P

that said, what I decide on may not even be available at the show for the price I want

Keep em comin, great tips so far!
Cormier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Mississauga, ON
Posts: 59
Default

Snowboard show is only 4 days away and now I'm seriously considering the NS Proto CT as well! Looks to be a bit less damp than the SL, and with a true twin shape -- would be more fun for jibbing, less for all mountain

gonna have to see whats available there!
Cormier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormier View Post
Snowboard show is only 4 days away and now I'm seriously considering the NS Proto CT as well! Looks to be a bit less damp than the SL, and with a true twin shape -- would be more fun for jibbing, less for all mountain

gonna have to see whats available there!
Shout out to someone else from Mississauga. I'm cautiously optimistic with this "cold" weather we are having. Might see snow before the end of the year this time around!

In the hunt for a proto myself this year...eyeing that snowboard show as well
Solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:13 AM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Mississauga, ON
Posts: 59
Default

Ya the weathers keeping my spirits up too! Hopefully more precipitation than last year too

I would advise checking out the show -- it's one thing going around to all the sales that are going on but this is definitely the biggest bang for your buck event... Tons of major deals especially on last years stuff

I think I'm almost set on the Proto CT now -- really hoping someone has some NS stuff there I know it goes fast :s

Ill be @ the show on Thursday
Cormier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 6
Default

Uh ohes, looks like everyone's lookin for the Proto CT at the show tmrw.. personally I'd rather a 2012 model cuz its cheaper.. something tells me they will have 0. From what I've been reading on the forums.. don't both the proto and SL fare well in powder?
Pinkypinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:09 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums