Beginner needs your help w board and size! - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2012, 11:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Beginner needs your help w board and size!

I am 6'3 180 w shoe size 11 AND last season was my first time snowboarding. I snowboard in Catalooche NC and was able to go on green area. Went about 4 days and fell in love with snowboarding... plan on doing it atleast 10 days this time and going on at least blue area of the park. I also plan on making a trip to snowshoe WV (not sure if that matters).

I am looking to buy my own equipment for the upcoming season and been trying to do research on my own. However keep getting different board sizes and the number of board brands is a bit overwhelming.

I am a college student and on a budget but at same time i dont want to get something crappy.

The sizes i have been recomended range anywhere from 159W to 165W so i am not sure what size i should get.

Thanks for the help in advance.
Weezy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2012, 12:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Go buy boots first, you probably don't need a wide board. After you get boots then you will know what board width and binding size will be right for what you have.

Try on lots, different companies have very different feels to them and are very different in sizes.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hi Weezy,

Stoked that you are loving boarding!

There is no such thing as a rider's size. By that I mean you will not have a single tip to tip centimeter size that will work well for you on every (or even most) models. This relatively unimportant measurement will vary greatly by model and what rider spec and type of riding the individual deck was designed for.

It is a much better practice to look for models that suit you riding style and then look at the manufacturer spec for that model (what weight and foot size it was designed for). Also, coming here and asking for specific suggestions is a great way to get some ideas.

Did you have any particular brands that interested you? We can all make some solid suggestions for you within your preferred brands.

Thanks!
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:48 AM   #4 (permalink)

^^^ this is all true and I would listen. Do NOT get a 165 though. At your weight I'd get a 156-157. I personally want to try an arbor westmark or a signal park flat but I dont get demo days and there are lots of people on here that like NS boards.
Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

Hi

First tanks for the replies.

All i plan on doing for now is going to the mountains and getting better at riding. My goal is to be able to go on black slopes , in other words i dont plan on going to the park and learning tricks any time soon....

I am guessing i need an all mountain board.

As far as the brands i dont know much about brands (only know about gnu, k2, and burton lol). I learned on rentals and the biggest board they had was a 158 and the instructor told me that that board was too small for my height.

Pretty much i was hoping that some of you more experienced riders could point me in the right direction on a good board for a bigenner that is just planning on riding the board on mountain and improving his skill. I dont plan on doing any tricks any time soon lolz.
Weezy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezy32 View Post
Hi

First tanks for the replies.

All i plan on doing for now is going to the mountains and getting better at riding. My goal is to be able to go on black slopes , in other words i dont plan on going to the park and learning tricks any time soon....

I am guessing i need an all mountain board.

As far as the brands i dont know much about brands (only know about gnu, k2, and burton lol). I learned on rentals and the biggest board they had was a 158 and the instructor told me that that board was too small for my height.

Pretty much i was hoping that some of you more experienced riders could point me in the right direction on a good board for a bigenner that is just planning on riding the board on mountain and improving his skill. I dont plan on doing any tricks any time soon lolz.
158 sounds just about right for you. In my opinion. Hop on something cheap. You're on a budget, there are a ton of good boards available for cheap. I mean, you can get a Flow Era for $199 for the 2012 model. It is not so soft that you can't ride around all mountain.

Looky looky here.

NEW Flow ERA 2012 Snowboard 158cm Reverse Camber Snowboard SALE | eBay

Wiredsport is selling that one
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezy32 View Post
Hi
the instructor told me that that board was too small for my height
Rider height is not a factor in detrmining what board you should ride. In fact, it can set many riders off looking in the wrong direction. at 6'3 you will have some guys at are 280 lbs and others (often growing kids) at 130 lbs. These two guys need very different boards than each other...and than you.

Size 11 is sometimes the cutoff for wide boards. If you don't mind, please measure your foot using this method:

Kick your heel (barefoot please, no socks) back against a wall. Mark the floor exactly at the tip of your toe (the one that sticks out furthest - which toe this is will vary by rider). Measure from the mark on the floor to the wall. That is your foot length and is the only measurement that you will want to use. Measure in centimeters if possible, but if not, take inches and multiply by 2.54 (example: an 11.25 inch foot x 2.54 = 28.57 centimeters).
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote