C2BTX vs. Flying V - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2012, 12:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default C2BTX vs. Flying V

These board shapes seem pretty similar but i just wanted a bit of info on what the differences are.
im looking for an all-mountain style board but i do love the pow a bit. a friend suggested the burton sherlock which is flying v but i was wondering what the difference between this shape and lib-techs similar shape is and if, for example, a jamie lynn c2 phoenix might perform similar?
cheers
Shreddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2012, 01:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

shape wise the sherlock is closer to the gnu dirty pillow, but the pillow has reg btx not c2. reg btx is more fun in powder, little less grip on the hard pack.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

they're the same idea; rocker in the middle, camber on the ends. i have heard that burton has more rocker than gnu or never summer boards, so it takes a bit more effort to dig in the edges but would be better for powder. just what i've heard though. i've only used never summer's camber-rocker-camber.
Gustov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Ready to be confused?

Burton's flying V (used on the Sherlock) actually gets an additional rocker section at the tip and tail. Soooo, it should really be called Rocker Camber Rocker Camber Rocker.

Mervin added this profile as well this year. They call it EC2. It is essentially C2 with a modest added rocker section to free up the tips.

As a generality EC2 or Flying V will be slightly more playful and less grabby then C2 (traditional mustache).

Magnetraction should not be forgotten. That will make as big a difference in feel as the various profiles.

Last edited by Wiredsport; 09-22-2012 at 06:04 PM.
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

cheers man... so the c2 is gonna be a bit less forgiving and a bit sharper than the flying v?
im demoing a bunch of boards the next few weeks but my local shop doesnt have access to the libs.. i was thinking the flying v would be the closest thing to the c2. is there anything else more similar? ive got access to burton, capita and ride boards.
Shreddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreddie View Post
cheers man... so the c2 is gonna be a bit less forgiving and a bit sharper than the flying v?
im demoing a bunch of boards the next few weeks but my local shop doesnt have access to the libs.. i was thinking the flying v would be the closest thing to the c2. is there anything else more similar? ive got access to burton, capita and ride boards.
The difference between C2 and EC2 (or Flying V) will be a nuance difference in profile alone (and in that spec EC2 and Flying V will be slightly more forgiving), but as you know, there is a lot more to a deck than profile. Other elements such as stiffness, outline, etc will have at least as much of a difference.
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 01:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Two other things to consider: frostbite edges are ineffective edge tech and pretty much don't work, magnatraction works well and for some people to well and feels graby. If you only ride powder edge tech is unimportant if you ride a variety of conditions it's something to consider.
bseracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:43 PM   #8 (permalink)

I own both a c2btx board and a flying v, Lib Tech TRS and Burton Easy Livin. Both are a blast, however i just love the overall feel of the C2BTX, im on the east coast so the magnetraction is a huge plus, while i was less than impressed with the frostbite edges on the burton. Don't get me wrong though, i love the burton on the softer snow days but i always find myself going back to the Lib Tech. Also, it seems like to me that the Flying V has a more pronounced rocker between the bindings compared to the C2BTX. Granted the difference in stiffness levels between these two boards could cause me to like one better, i just find the c2btx to be more fun, and when riding the flying v, im just like..meh. haha. Either one would be fine, but imo, the c2btx is the way to go.
Bparmz is offline   Reply With Quote