transition from a 159 to 152 question - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2012, 03:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default transition from a 159 to 152 question

Hi Everyone, Im new on here, and i have a question regarding board sizing. im not new to snowboarding(this will be my ninth season) but i have a few quick questions regarding sizes..
I currently ride a 159 libtech skate banana probably a 2009. i love it, but its gotten pretty beaten up and looking for a replacement. im thinking of moving down in size to a 152. its also going to be a libtech skate banana 2013 not that the year makes much of a difference.
im 5'10"/5'11", ~150lbs and have a 9.5 size boot. I am an all mountain rider, but my reasons for the change are that im really trying to focus on park(primarily jibs) with smaller ~10m jumps, and im looking for something with a bit more flex that i can throw around easier.
does anyone see any major issues with someone my size going down to a 152?
any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. cheers.
Cahooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2012, 03:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned!

If you are going to make that big of a change, why not switch up to a better board? On a regular basis Nivek offers up like 6 boards that are cheaper with better tech that compete with the skate banana.

As far as size goes, you will be great on a 152 at 150lbs, don't even trip, you could take 152 all mountain. (fwiw I ride '54 proto all mountain at #175)

Or get a proper jibstick and save your bigger board for non-park days.

Do some searches, search Nivek's posts, check out any of the 1000000 jibsticks reviewed, pictured and commented on at - The Angry Snowboarder Keeping It Real Since Day One -

Or get another skatebanana, dummy.

Last edited by snowklinger; 09-24-2012 at 03:48 PM.
snowklinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowklinger View Post
If you are going to make that big of a change, why not switch up to a better board? On a regular basis Nivek offers up like 6 boards that are cheaper with better tech that compete with the skate banana.

As far as size goes, you will be great on a 152 at 150lbs, don't even trip, you could take 152 all mountain. (fwiw I ride '54 proto all mountain at #175)

Or get a proper jibstick and save your bigger board for non-park days.

Do some searches, search Nivek's posts, check out any of the 1000000 jibsticks reviewed, pictured and commented on at - The Angry Snowboarder Keeping It Real Since Day One -

Or get another skatebanana, dummy.
Im getting another skate banana no doubt. i ride east coast ice all day everyday, and that magnetraction is no joke. ive had the other board for 4-5 years and havent sharpened the edges once, and i enjoy laughing at EVERY one of my friends when they slip out when we go around an icy turn. thats my major factor in deciding on a skate banana. ice control is an absolute must. thank you though, i appreciate the input. you eased my stress. i just wanted to hear from an actual person. all of that online height weight ratio sizing is such BS.
Cahooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You've been riding for 9 years, you should have a better idea of what works for you than we do. A 152 is fine, you could probably go smaller if you're only hitting 10 ft jumps. As far as the skate banana goes, I wouldn't recommend it for what you're looking to do, there are just far better options out there. Nearly every company has some sort of "grip tech" on their sidecut.
Qball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cahooligan View Post
Im getting another skate banana no doubt. i ride east coast ice all day everyday, and that magnetraction is no joke. ive had the other board for 4-5 years and havent sharpened the edges once, and i enjoy laughing at EVERY one of my friends when they slip out when we go around an icy turn. thats my major factor in deciding on a skate banana. ice control is an absolute must. thank you though, i appreciate the input. you eased my stress. i just wanted to hear from an actual person. all of that online height weight ratio sizing is such BS.
heh cool. just giving u another idea on the board, who cares

you are solid on size, it will be different for sure. just get used to riding it around the mountain a little first.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Skip the banana and get the pickle if you're that sold on Mervyn products. The pickle is comprable to the banana, but more versatile all mt.
bseracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bseracka View Post
Skip the banana and get the pickle if you're that sold on Mervyn products. The pickle is comprable to the banana, but more versatile all mt.
We want's a jib stick
Qball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

I went the other way, 153 to 159 a couple years back. No big deal. Remember 159 to 152 is only 4.5% difference in length. If somebody tells you it's going to feel completely different they're on glue.

Took me a couple laps on the 159 to get comfy, but now she feels sweet sweet sweet!
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qball View Post
We want's a jib stick
True, but since he only wants Mervyn that leaves him with the box scratcher, banana, street series and pickle. Of those the pickle is the best board and plenty jibbable. Other than that there are way better boards from other manufacturers, but he's not interested.

Last edited by bseracka; 09-24-2012 at 05:45 PM.
bseracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qball View Post
We want's a jib stick
The Pickle is a Banana with asym.

The Banana is garbage, for jibbing. You liked your big one, that's fine. But now that you're much more focused on jibs, why would you want to spend nearly $500 on a board you are going to just slide across metal? That makes about zero sense.

Want magne? K, Rossignol Retox. Doesn't get thrown around a lot here, but it is a solid board and to be honest other than dead flat I think camrock is the best camber style for jibs. You get the lock you need for front boards and presses are still aided by rocker.

Otherwise get yourself a 150 Arbor Westmark, or a Draft 150 if you're not too worried about jumps or speed. The bumps on magne between the feet on the banana honestly just create drag and the ones outside the feet don't really do much at all since it's a center rocker. Griptech is just where you put the most pressure, under you feet. And then you're only spending about $400 instead of $490 on a deck.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sizing snowboard