New board - Japan - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2012, 04:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default New board - Japan

Hey guys, first time post.

So a little backstory. I live in Aus, decided to a season in Canada with my mate. It was spectacular. We worked on a little mountain called Hemlock Valley, in short is was the best time of my life.

I rode a Elan R.A.M. 158, with K2 Indy Bindings and K2 T2 Boots. They went quite well. However, I'm heading over to Japan to snowboard at Hakuba and Niseko for 3 weeks this January.

I'm looking for a new board. While I liked my board, I definitely feel like I progressed out of it (my mate and I are super competitive, black runs were a standard by the end of the trip). Hit a bit of park, not really spinning but most grabs.

At the moment I'm looking at the K2 Slayblade or the Ride Machette. I also want to get a larger board as I feel the 158 was a bit small (5,11 185lbs)

Do you guys have any advice. Am I looking at the right type of board?

Thanks in advance.
jaie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2012, 04:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

Depending if you want to ride more park or more all mountain. If you like the Ride Mechete the Mechete GT is its more all mountain counter part. Its a touch stiffer according to ride im guessing just because it has a touch of camber between the bindings instead of being flat and also comes with rides pop walls instead of pop rods. Haven't ridden them but from the reviews I've read people are really digging them. Agnarchy.com did a good review on it.

Academy Propaganda rev - Rome 390 Boss
New for 14-15
Yes the Basic - Now IPO
henry06x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:09 AM   #3 (permalink)

this thread might give you some insights:

http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boa...23-niseko.html
ju87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
ETM
Veteran Member

A park board is a park board no matter where you are in the world so if thats what you want just buy whatever people are riding these days, its highly documented all over the forum.
But if its freeriding that you will be doing hokkaido demands a different board to most other places on earth if you want to get the most out of your time there. Even the most "extreme" powder boards people are riding elsewhere in the world look like toys in japan next to the local powder boards that are made for the conditions. If its your first time you should probably look at a powder board like a fish or charlie slasher which you can get up to 164 I believe, the burton cheetah is better than them both put together but only available in a 159 so no dice there unfortunately.

Until you have been there you really cant comprehend just how much you need a powder board over there.
ETM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:30 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for your replies so far. they've all been helpful.

FYI, after Japan, i'll probably head to NZ in aus Uni break and maybe do a season at whistler for the long break.

Atm looking at the Ride Slackcountry. Anyone ridden before?

Another thing I should mention is I'm going with my gf who hasn't ridden before. Any recommendations for her board?

Last edited by jaie91; 09-25-2012 at 06:41 AM.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:40 AM   #6 (permalink)

If you want something all mountain that still has some decent powder performance look at the Never Summer Cobra.

Do you want this new board to be powder/Japan specific or do you want it to be a one board quiver?
RaID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Am I looking at the right type of board?

In a word No.

You will need more float than they offer.

Put simply you will probably see more powder and deeper powder than you would anywhere else in the world.

I would say get a dedicated pow stick and another non pow specific stick that does OK in pow ( has some rocker). Maybe two second had boards, lots of good stuff on sale here.

If two boards are out of the question look for a board that does very well in powder as well as being good at other things.

As mentioned in the other thread the flow solitude looks good if only 1 deck is possible.

I personally ride a NS proto here in Japan and it does very well up to a certain depth, then I go to a powder specific deck.
Problem is on a big year it can be too deep for anything but a pow deck regularly.
On silly deep days you ride a pow stick or you get stuck a lot and go very, very slow. If you have a pow deck those same days can be some of the best riding you will ever have.

A lot will depend on your weight too as heavier riders tend to struggle to get float in the deep while lighter riders can get pretty good float with a non specific pow deck (if you know how to ride powder). Now I see you are 185 so I would say think 161 or so for a 1 board quiver. If you can do 2 get a 155~157 for all round and maybe a 163~5 (or more) for a powder deck.

So IMO think two decks even if it means two second hand decks rather than 1 new. A pow specific deck and an all round that does well in pow.
Even on bad days there is usually some powder to be found.

If 1 deck is your limit think continuous rocker like the Flow solitude or Arbor coda, NS cobra could be a possibility for a 1 deck solution too but with that kind of cash the smart move would be to get 2 second hand decks.

Last edited by dreampow; 09-25-2012 at 06:54 AM.
dreampow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:46 AM   #8 (permalink)

@RaID

Honestly, I would be happy for this to be a Japan specific board. I'm so completely and utterly addicted to snowboarding that I honestly believe that all my holidays will be snowboard orientated.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:48 AM   #9 (permalink)
ETM
Veteran Member

A one board quiver is difficult as the conditions are so different in oz/nz compared to japan.
Also do you really love your GF? Cause she is going to wreck your life. You will be wanting to ditch her so bad to go ride powder instead of doing falling leaf and being frustrated the entire time lol. Get her in some lessons and meet up at the end of the day or a quite substancial part of your soul is going to die.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:55 AM   #10 (permalink)
ETM
Veteran Member

your g/fs board doesnt matter, falling leaf is falling leaf and from my experience noobs and especially girl noobs dont like getting in the powder cause it slows them down too much and then they have to walk out and complain while you sit there wishing you were tearing up the mountain. Its truely soul destroying stuff.